main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite EU Author

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Genghis12, May 8, 2001.

?

Favorite EU Author

Poll closed Mar 28, 2012.
  1. R. A. Salvatore

10.7%
  2. Mike Stackpole

36.4%
  3. James Luceno

10.0%
  4. Kathy Tyers

10.0%
  5. Greg Keyes

2.1%
  6. Michael Reeves

2.1%
  7. Jude Watson

1.4%
  8. Aaron Allston

19.3%
  9. Kevin Anderson

5.0%
  10. Dan Wallace

2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    100th post!

Don't diss Genghis, man...[face_plain]

2. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Stackpole is the best. That is a fact, and will never be debunked.

3. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    Stackpole is ONE of the best.

4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Rouge Null, a couple months ago there was a topic on this board where several people complained about some posters stating their opinions as facts. You think Stackpole is the best, but that doesn't prove it objectively, nor could I prove Zahn, which I like most, is the best SW author - which he might not objectively be : how do you rate an author's work objectively ?

5. Jedi_Tionne

Jedi_Tionne Jedi Master star 1

May 29, 2001
    Mike Stackpole and Timothy Zahn hands down... No contest.

6. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    My goodness. I've yet to see a poll with both Brian Daley and Alan Dean Foster included on it... Come on, folks, they started the EU! Without them, there'd be no Zahn, no Stackpole, no Tyers and Crispin! Without them, we wouldn't have Thrawn and Mara Jade, or Corran Horn or Mirax Terrik! Without them, no Solo kids, no Jedi Academy, and (oh, were it true) no NJO! Daley and Foster deserve to be in every EU author poll out there. I say, get rid of Anderson and Dan Wallace (who?) and replace them with Foster and Daley.

7. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Sticks says--

My goodness. I've yet to see a poll with both Brian Daley and Alan Dean Foster included on it...

DONE!

See my new author poll in the EU Community Forum.

No authors included in Genghis12's poll appear in my poll by design. Alan Dean Foster and Brian Daley both appear, however.

So do a couple authors whose last names rhyme with "Dawn" (more or less).

8. Boba-Fetish

Boba-Fetish Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2001
    My first thought opening this topic...

"WTF!?!? Where's Zahn?"

and the ensuing posts, well, were absolutely hilarious.

Zahn, no contest. I couldn't believe it when I read Heir to the Empire..."oh my god! It's REALLY STAR WARS!"

much more so than TPM ever was...(oh wait. that's another topic.)

9. Tahiri_2

Tahiri_2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2001
    ZAHN!!!

10. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    hmmmm... I would have to go with Stackpole. He is probably my favorite.

11. Romio-and-Juliet

Romio-and-Juliet Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2001
    Well, I like the dark and grand style of Michael Reaves. He's got words like viable, xenaphobic, and arc in his book. He's a genius. Zahn is probably my second favorite. Although I haven't read his stuff, he must have been smart to come up with our great planetary city capital.

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    A bunch of random replies...

Dewlanna...
    "The numerous write-in votes for Zahn, despite the attempts to silence them, proves something about Zahn's popularity."

First off, there have not been any attempts to silence anything. I think that's a really unfair accusation to level against anyone. Please supply proof of such a conspiracy.

"It's an open forum, all are free to post their opinions. My opinion is that Zahn is my favorite EU author. All the Zahnless polls in the world will not change this."

Correct. But, such opinions are NOT not included in the results of the poll, for obvious reasons (least of which is circumventing poll security, etc.). However, your opinions, as was stated earlier by this polls creator have always been welcomed even if they don't necessarily count.

MariahJade2...
    "I view any poll that seems to Skew the results in favor of the creators preferences to be invalid."

Exactly. This point has been made on a number of occasions by a number of people. Any poll which limits the choices will certainly not be anywhere near a "valid" poll.

Anakin SkySolo...
    "Mariah Jade-- How do you know that the ten authors listed reflect Genghis12's personal preferences?"

Exactly - they don't. I have some favorite EU authors who were not included in the poll. I like various EU authors for various reasons. The authors which were listed took into account the inherent limit on choices. If there was an unlimited choice feature, most likely, many more authors would be included beyond those given.

"Moreover, how could any poll with only 10 choices that doesn't include...

And that's not even going anywhere near the various EU authors from West End Games, Wizards of the Coast, LucasArts, etc.

Jades Fire...
    "Blah, blah, blah and yada, yada, yada."

Thank you for your deep thoughts, Jades Fire. I have to say, this is one of the more intelligent statements by you that I've seen you make. Keep up the good work. :D

"I know the reading comprehension around here has sunk to even greater depths, but the poll question was "Favorite EU Author". Three words. Really simple. Ten choices were offered in the poll."

Exactly. Very good summary of the poll. It should be noted that the reason that the choices were limited to ten was due to the feature of the polls.

"If your favorite wasn't one of the 10, the rules do not preclude you from writing in your own candidate."

Correct, however, those results will not be tallied in the official poll results. Possible "terms-of-service abuses" aside (excessive sock puppets), there is no way to insure the validity of the poll once you circumvent the official results. An example is that someone who voted in the poll could also have one or several write-in candidates. The results of the poll are quite simply the results of the poll - they do not include write-in results. If you do not believe me, add up all of the write-ins along with those who voted in the poll and you will definitely obtain a different answer than the poll total.

"You crybabies want some cheese with that whine?"

My words exactly. Zahn wasn't included in this poll for the same reason a number of others weren't - there wasn't enough room. Get over it.

Anakin SkySolo...
    "Dewlanna-- The numerous write-in votes for Zahn... Unfortunately, nothing prevents "write-in" voters from choosing among the ten options anyway. I've noticed that my question about Greg Bear has been listed as a write-in vote by a couple counters. Since I also participated in the poll, they counted my vote twice."

Exactly. And an even more interesting result was seen in Anakin Skysolo's other poll. Even though Zahn was a choice in his poll, some people wrote him in anyway. Perhaps that's simply another fact which may point to the observation regarding Zahn fans pointed out by Lordban and myself. :D In any case, would Dewlanna and Jades Fire call for such write-ins to be included even though presumably t

13. TheVader

TheVader Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2001
    I like Stackpole a lot, but why wasn't Zahn included in the poll? He's definately the best! Yes, this is another vote for Zahn...

14. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    You can vote for Tim Zahn or another nine choices not listed in this poll by voting in my poll in the EU Community Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.