main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Favorite EU Authors?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darkslayer, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    And how precisely do you define "good writing"? Shakespeare? The Greco-Roman classics? Jules Verne? 19th century French literature? The Iliad? Isn't that a little presumptuous of you to assume fans aren't exposed to such writers? Or don't have interests outside of Star Wars? Your being a tad bit offensive here.

2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Star By Star is a personal favorite.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  3. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    1. A.C. Crispin absolutely. Crispin's Han Solo books will forever be my favorite, what an adventure that was! She really had a great grasp on Hutt Space and the non-force-user side of the galaxy. Loved her work.

2. Drew Karpyshyn's Darth Bane series really rocked my world, and I was totally enthralled. He has to be my favorite Sith writer of all time. His books captivated me completely.

(small note, Jeter and Karpyshyn were the first two Star Wars authors I ever read, but I think it is just coincidence that they are also my favorite.

3. Kevin J. Anderson comes in as my third favorite, and while a controversial pick, he is one of my favorites because he told the story I always, always, always wanted to read, the story of Luke and his new Jedi. I loved his story and I cherish it today still.

4. Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy will also get a shout out from me here because Dark Empire was so incredibly bold and told with such fantastic style. It's story is well remembered and will never be topped for one very important reason. Dark Empire was some of the boldest SW fiction ever written, today's SW fiction is so timid and weak in comparison.

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Traitor by Matthew Stover-read it in one setting and felt utterly satisfied and fulfilled. It was amazing and introspective and really the best work in the EU.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Then I hit close to the mark.

There are any number of lists of excellent writing; and authors who make in indelible mark on the landscape with their works.

That stover is spoken of as if he is this strongly suggests people don't know any better.

6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Close to the mark? You do realize modern literature is a highly fragmented domain? Are we counting non-fiction? Academic works? Ethnicity specific works? Excellent writing is a matter of perspective and taste.

The works I listed are probably required reading for any on who wants a classical or humanist education. Then maybe Ernest Hemingway, Arandhata Roy, Stephen Baxter, Dubois, Catch-22(key post modern one), and more other's than I have time to count,

You have a right to your opinion and that's fine. EU lit obviously isn't going to be taught by Oxford Dons or Harvard adjuncts and that's something any EU fan with a modicum of common sense understands. However Stover out of all the EU is probably the most "literary."

Your pompous and contempous attitude is exactly why hostility towards elites is spreading throughout the modern world and the much maligned "populism" is succeeding by leaps and bounds. And oh I don't actually think your an elite you just like to think your so cultured and posh. Such an arrogant and narrow worldview. One that inevitably leads to destruction as mentioned in Psalms oh I forgot the Bible yeah I'm familiar with that too.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Reposting the above, in case you two missed it earlier. This thread is not about bickering about the literary bona fides of either of you, so knock it off. Now.

Darkslayer, Kenobi1138 and Daneira like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sorry mate, I actually didn't see it.

9. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    allston
    zahn
    luceno
    traviss
    stackpole
    karpshyn

10. SithUnleashed

SithUnleashed Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2017
    Luceno

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    James Luceno

I just love his writing style and he wrote my favorite Star Wars book, Darth Plagueis.

Darkslayer and DavrelKex like this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Besides Stover it would have to be Luceno.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Where's the love for Brian Daley? His Han Solo adventures were the next best thing to watching Star Wars.

Allston and Stackpole did all right too.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  14. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Vonda N. Mclntyre nuff said...

Kenobi1138 likes this.
  15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Traviss

Stackpole

Kemp

Claudia Grey

I also want to say JJM...KOTOR is one if my all time favs. Love Kenobi. Lost Tribe of the Sith was pretty awesome too.

But Knight Errants (comic and novel) were just...OK. And I wasn't too impressed with AND either.

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    In no particular order:

James Luceno - He's proven his worth thanks to the many fantastic SW novels he's written; most recently with Catalyst he showed that he's just as good as ever
    Matthew Stover - I regret to say that aside from Shatterpoint and ROTS I haven't read anything else by him, but both of those novels are outstandingly good
    Randy Stradley - just the author of my favorite SW thing ever
    John Jackson Miller - KOTOR, Kenobi, Knight Errant and A New Dawn; for those that have read at least one of those titles should know what I mean
    John Ostrander - Can MARVEL please, please hire this guy on a SW comic? Because quality
    Paul S. Kemp - Lords of the Sith is definitely one of my favorite of the canon novels thus far, but the main reason I consider Kemp as one my favorites is Deceived. I've rarely been as hooked by a novel like I was for Deceived

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Derek J. Reda.

18. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Mine is defenetly Stover. I wish there were more writers like him.
    I also like Zahn and Luceno although I dislike some of their books.
    And of course Kevin J Anderson for giving us YJK.

19. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    (Bantam era works only)
    Timothy Zahn
    Michael Stackpole
    Aaron Allston

Runners up
    Kevin J Anderson
    Kristine Kathryn Rusch

20. Derek_J_Reda

Derek_J_Reda Author: • BFATROTDF • DFOTROTDF VIP

Mar 30, 2009
    Bless you, Mr. Havac!

And thank you to all who keep the faith alive through these trying times: regardless of what Pablo and the rest of the Disney partisans will tell you, Rise of the Dark Falls is---and always has been---the highest of canon.

Dante1120, spicer, jSarek and 4 others like this.
  21. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Well googling that was an interesting time

jSarek and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Googling it?

The book was recently sold on eBay for a considerable amount of money, you didn't hear about that??

jSarek, Darth_Duck and Havac like this.
  23. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    No I didn't.

24. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Once you start down the Dark Falls path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes!