main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite facial expression/non-vocal bits

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by drg4, Sep 10, 2012.

1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    As the OP said:

-(ROTS-Mustafar) Anakin's bemused dismissal, when Padme tells him "Obi-Wan knows about us. He wants to help." The look on his face is absolutely unsettling; haughty and borderline psychotic.

Absolutely the best acting put forth in the entire saga! He just looks at her and smiles as if to convey that he knows better and he is almost amused at her innocence.

"Help me?!" smiles... "he wants to help me alright...he wants to KILL me."

And he just smiles almost smugly as if he is almost...bashful to acknowledge how obi-wan is going to regard his murders and atrocious deeds. But he doesn't even correct padme because he knows how far over her head it all is. And he just...smiles.

In this moment...his acting is on the exact level as anything ian mcdiarmid has done or could do. The best bit of acting in the saga.

In this moment...he IS Darth Vader.

=D==D==D=@};-

2. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    ANH: The look on Owen Lars face after Beru says Luke has too much of his father in him.

3. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Palpatine's grandfatherly smile as he learns of Anakin's mission:
    [​IMG]

Obi-Wan "conspiratorially" leaning in closer:
    [​IMG]

Dex's grin -- a wonderfully realized creature. I've always appreciated that Lucas actually includes aliens that look alien:
    [​IMG]

There's a very gentle, earnest boyishness to Anakin's character here:
    [​IMG]

And Padmé's happiness to see him thus:
    [​IMG]

And the subsequent "oh crap" face:
    [​IMG]

Padmé's uncertainty after Anakin criticizes the Senate:
    [​IMG]

Even from this angle, you can tell that they both have huge smiles on their faces. Yes, I'm sentimental -- sue me:
    [​IMG]

I love this scene mostly for both participants' poker faces (I guess lack of facial expression would be more suitable here):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I like the way Padmé looks at Anakin as he turns away -- it seems like she's genuinely afraid that he'll leave (when deep down, she wants him to stay):
    [​IMG]

"Oh, not good":
    [​IMG]

Watto's realization that it's Anakin before him:
    [​IMG]

Padmé's sadness for Anakin and Shmi:
    [​IMG]

I always felt there was something rather poignant (and frightening) about Anakin's hand lingering on his mother's neck, his face twisted in pain:
    [​IMG]

(I don't even know what to say for this one...)
    [​IMG]

Anakin staring at his hand in shock -- it's much more subtle than Luke's in ROTJ, but it's there:
    [​IMG]

obi-rob-kenobi4 and Zeta1127 like this.
  4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007

YES! Thank you!

More proof of how genuine and meaningful and amazing the acting in this film is! Some of the best stuff in the whole saga is in AOTC IMO.

=D==D==D==D=

5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Padme wehen she comes to find Anakin on mustfar
    Obi Wan watching leia on R2s video knowing it was. Anakins other child
    Boba Fett reaction to his dad losing his head
    Palpatine telling luke the sheild will be operational when his friend arrive
    The joy on Anakins face when he chkes the imperial officer during the deathstar chat

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Man you said it Watt is slept on a lot, wish he had more screen time in ep 2

7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I love the expressions in the Obi-Wan vs. Grievous duel, when Obi-Wan smiles after Grievous has just said that he's been trained in the Jedi arts by Count Dooku.
    It's awesome when it shows a close up of Obi-Wan and Grievous's eyes when they're talking to each other while duelling.[​IMG]
    And I really like how they've used the same expression in The Clone Wars.[​IMG]
    But my favourite expression has to be Kit Fisto in AOTC when he force pushes C-3PO over when he has a Battle Droids body, the smile is priceless![​IMG]
    And it's awesome how they've used this too in The Clone Wars! :)
    [​IMG]

obi-rob-kenobi4 and Zeta1127 like this.
  8. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    I agree completely. The look he gives in AOTC when Anakin begins speaking to him and you can see that he is trying to work it out in his head who this kid really is. That is one of my favorite moments in the entire PT. Watto is a VERY underrated character, IMO.

9. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    TPM: When Darth Maul is revealed for the first time via hologram, on the Vuutun Palaa (TF droid control ship), Gunray and Haako slowly turn and look at each other, like "Oooh crap...". It's easily missed, but I think the moment is just priceless!

TPM: Another one with Gunray, after he sends Sio Bibble away, and a droid reports the beginning of the search for the Gungans. Just as the scene changes, Gunray nods slowly with this perfectly smug expression.

ROTS: When Anakin is burning on Mustafar, the look on Obi-Wan's face. I think this is Ewan McGregor's finest moment in the entire prequels; it's just the perfect look of subtle and profound horror and sadness. Words just don't do it justice.

TESB: Piett's small, subtle glance behind him, as Ozzell is being choked and falls to the ground. I laugh every time!

10. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    Every time the characters stop talking the real genius of Lucas emerges. They are all the best parts of the films. He would have made an extraordinary silent film director. Even Hayden & Natalie have chemistry when they're not talking.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Dooku's quick change of expression when sensing Yoda's presence through the Force, right after his tired look after defeating Anakin. Of course, this is Christopher Lee I'm talking about here.

StampidHD280pro likes this.