Salisb, NC Favorite Holiday Traditions..... What's yours?

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by RipRoar, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    What is your favorite old or newly started Holiday Tradition?

Mine was always going to Gma's house on Christmas Eve! ALL the grandkids would be there (Upstairs), while the adults would be downstairs in the basement club (G-parents made their basement into a nightclub with drinks and everthing). We would play well into the night with new gifts and toys and games galore! Our parents always let us open 1 gift before Christmas morning (They put almost all the gifts out Christmas Eve before we left for Gma's since we would be late getting home or spending night there sometimes and would sleep in). All my cousins would have most of their gifts already open and there so my parents gave in and started tradition of allowing 1 gift! Well, they caught on real quick after a couple of Christmas's that we were sneaking into the hiding spots and finding out what we were getting ahead of time and even what wrapping paper was on each of the presents (You see my brother taught us how to use razor blades to open gift wrapped presents). SO, one year they had us fooled big time! They hid 3 small boxes and pulled them out a the last minute before we left - of course playing up all the hype and aludding to the fact that Sony made a new Walkman (Which all three of wanted...). They pleaded with us not to pick "THOSE particluar 3 gift boxes". Are you sure they said - you can't change your mind - you have to bring it to GMA's party (And yes - we HAD to SHOW WHAT WE GOT - that was the orginal deal to open any on C.Eve). My oldest brother assured us two that he had seen the walman boxes in a bag that msyteriously went into hiding and we didn't find again unlike our other toys, etc.. that we always played with before Christmas for like a month or two unbeknownst to our parents...

We were given the choice one last time (Mom and Dad acted like we were picking the best gift and would be let down on Christmas morning because we would have already opened it). They asked which one and are you sure? ALL THREE OF US SCREAMED "THAT ONE" at the same time as well all pointed at the walkman like boxes! Before they could say ok - we were ripping into them {Mom being the TAPE Queen of the north} we struggled with each tab and they stopped us one last time - ARE YOU REALLY SURE! Yes - get out of my way - woman who gave me birth - this is a treasure like no other - this was the pleasure of music for my ears only - I get to pick what station or tape to listen too in the car, on the bus in our bedroom - no more arguing - no more CONWAY TWITTY in the car with mom singing along!!!!!!!

OPEN, my brother was going to get his open before I was - what this can't be happening - I wanted the glory - Oh no - my other brother with his large hands and strength ripped his open - ......... what the .... what is .... this can't be right....

COMBS.... you got each of us 25 black combs like the greasers use in West Side Story! No way am I bring these to Gma's no way - ba humbug! Oh no - the deal is sealed - we suddenly understood as ma and pa are laughing their sinister laughs - they know we have been sneaking into the hiding places to play with our gifts and they SET US UP!

Needless to say - we brought the combs along and had to show them off - but Christmas being Gma's favorite holiday to dote on us - she made up for the cruel joke and SPOILED us with walman radios - that we always wanted - the same ones mom said she bought and then took back when she found out about our incursions into the toy hiding spots before Christmas! I miss my Grandma and her Christmas eve "Pigs in the blankets"

MERRU CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR - what traditions or story to have to share...?
  2. star0258 Jedi Knight

My favorite holiday tradition (though no longer in practice) is this.

When we were kids my parents had a rule that no one could travel farther down the house past the bathroom until everyone was awake, parents included. For those of you that don't know the layout of my house there is a long hallway with two bedrooms at the farthest end (my sister and I shared one, and the other was my parents) then came another bedroom and a bathroom across the hall (the other bedroom belonging to my brothers), then just past that the house made a kind of circle and starting to the right was the den, kitchen, dining room, and living room. Our house from an aerial view would look like a lollipop. Anyway, our parents would put up a baby gate at the end of the hallway so we couldn't sneak into the living room and see the multitude of presents that awaited there. Once the agony ended and our parents finally woke up (with a little help from us four kids being kids) we had to follow them through the den and into the kitchen where we were made to eat breakfast like good children. As you can imagine it was usually the fastest breakfast of the year. Next my father would have us draw numbers to see who got to take the first "lap". One at a time we were allowed to run through the dining room, through the coveted living room with presents, back through the den and return to the kitchen, where the next person would be anxiously awaiting. It was so funny and yet torturous to be the second or third in line and to hear the screams of delight when our siblings realized how many presents there were or how big some of them were. Once our victory laps were over we had to wait in the kitchen until mom and dad finished their coffee (which, by the way, in the mind of a child takes FOREVER), and then, finally at long last we were allowed to enter the living room. Stockings were first to be opened (the only thing we did all at the same time). After stockings my mom would sit on the floor and one by one dole out presents (which sometimes took hours because some of them would be played with or tried on before moving on).
    Anyway, that was my favorite holiday tradition.
  3. Darth_Phanax Jedi Master

star 1
    Ok, our family tradition is elaborate or complicated but it is different. On christmas eve one year our neighbors (Todd and Kathy) invited use to go to Ichibans with them. So we went and if you've never been its some of the best food ever! unfortunatly its fairly expensive as well so we only go on christmas eve evey year.
  4. SmashVadersFist Jedi Knight

Family dinners. But since my grandparents died and I moved out of NY I never get to go anymore. I have not been home in almost four years now and probably wont get to go next year either. Man am I glad I have such good friends down here that I almost always have an option with my extended family.
  5. Darth_MacDuff Jedi Master

star 2
    Mine was always going to my parent's house when they were still in the "family home". My dad would have fire in the fireplace and he would cook a turkey over a charcoal fire, put in hickory chips and smoke it, and then baste that bad boy in garlic butter. :) Man, that was so good, I used to chew on the string that held the legs and wings in. We would then gather in the living room, where the fireplace was, he would read the Christmas story and the the kids/grandkids would hand out the presents. Man, do I miss that. They are in a retirement center in T'ville and we still get together each year, but he no longer has his grill/rotisserie. But, I am thankful that I still have both of my parents.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.