main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Favorite horror anthology series/films

Discussion in 'Community' started by drg4, Mar 10, 2013.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My all-time favorite anthology would be THE COFFIN JOE TRILOGY. Most of the entries are just vicious... especially for the time period in which they were produced.

In the US, I was rather a fan of TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    bummpppp

3. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Horror films always bother me on some kind of emotional or psychological level. I suppose that could be part of the point? In any case, because of this I've got a gigantic backlog of horror films that people keep telling me that I need to watch but I'm honestly to afraid/disturbed to sit down and watch them.

[face_nail_biting]

4. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Good call, Rogue Ten.

The only other perfect horror anthology I can think of would be Mario Bava's Black Sabbath, concerning a stalker, a vampire village, and a vengeful ghost.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    you've seen three... extremes? ill have to czech out that bava film

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Final Destination

The Shining (Kubrick, not the show)

The first Nightmare on Elm Street. I was in eighth grade when it came out and nobody slept for weeks. They should have never made any sequels.

8. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
  9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Just as Hammer Films was tops in Gothic horror, Amicus was tops when it came to horror anthologies. All of them have good points, but the best ones may very well be "Tales from the Crypt" (featuring Peter Cushing in his favorite role) and it's follow-up "Vault of Horror" (featuring a pre-Fourth Doctor Tom Baker).

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999

Only Lovers Left Alive was really fabulous and orginal, but still fell far short of Let the Right One In.

And I still love Nosferatu. I saw it at my public library when I was 9 or 10, and Orlok popping up out of his coffin ***** me up for life.

12. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Nosferatu is probably what kicked off my childhood of living in terror of everything.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy & Lady Vengeance. Do I win a prize? [face_party] Or do I just get to live with all that ****** up stuff in my head?

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  14. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I like the old school stuff: Halloween, Evil Dead, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and Hellraiser. Even the bad stuff in each franchise is highly enjoyable. Riffing cheesy movies is favorite past time of mine. (Thanks MST3K!)

15. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    TV series only:

Tales from the Darkside (1980's)

Night Gallery (1970's)

Twilight Zone (1960's version)

Twilight Zone (1980's version)

Twilight Zone (200X version)

American Horror Story (2011-on)

I also saw the first couple of seasons of Dark Shadows & these were great - however, I hesitate to put this on the list because the episodes I saw were all pre-Barnabas Collins, so I'm not sure I got the "full effect" of the show....