main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Favorite lightsaber duel in the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Mar 4, 2013.

?

Favorite OT duel?

1. Darth Vader v.s. Obi-Wan (ANH)

5.5%
  2. Luke v.s. Darth Vader (TESB)

52.4%
  3. Luke v.s. Darth Vader (ROTJ)

47.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    'Good' and 'Entertaining' are different. But I can only speak for myself. No, I don't find the PT fights "good".

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Some of the PT fights were entertaining but felt lacking compared to the OT fights. Except maybe Duel of the Fates.

3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I like them all! The ONLY fight in the entire Saga I don't like is Vader vs Obi-Wan in ANH.

lbr789 likes this.
  4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Some of the finest fight sequences in film history come from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Jump to 0:15 and you'll see that it is incredibly similar to to PT fights, especially Anakin VS Obi-Wan

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You should watch Adywan's edit of that fight. It's one of the few fan edits that I actually don't dislike.

6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I've heard and seen a lot of good about Adywan's edits, he is FANTASTIC at fixing the poor graphics & effects of the OT. However, I have zero interest in actually watching his edits because of his removal of SE upgrades & new scenes, and I greatly dislike it when scenes are removed from my favorite films (which is why I'm always on the lookout for extended, special, and director's editions).

How is the ANH fight improved? Other than the lightsaber fixing of course.

7. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Most notably, it's sped up to make it more intense, and it uses Battle of the Heroes to link it to ROTS.

Also, I completely agree with you about the Lucas changes throughout the years. Greedo shot first. Always has. Always will.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Oh, hmm....he doesn't mention that on his site. That sounds cool, might just check it out.

Er, reread what I just posted, I think you mean you DON'T agree with me. I like the SE, and all subsequent edits - not the OOT

9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Reread what I said. I was saying that the changes are good. Greedo shot first. Not Han. Han never shot first, Greedo did. Anakin said "No!" When he kills Palpatine. His ghost is young.

Now you see what I mean?

10. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Oh, damn! Sorry, i always get confused with which one people want to shoot first :D

And yeah, I'm with you! ESPECIALLY on the ghost thing =D=

Seagoat likes this.
  11. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Yeah. When I think "realistic fighting", I definitely think of laser swords that defy the laws of physics.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Madmartigan vs. Kael by a large margin. Swift, brutal, and more concerned with the intense character emotion of the moment than flashy choreography, this is a cinematic fight you can feel in a manner that transcends PG-rated fantasy adventure.

13. aepawlik87

aepawlik87 Jedi Knight

Feb 21, 2013
    I gotta go Obi-Wan and Anakin in ROTS. It's one of the few PT battles I enjoy, especially since it's such an important point in the saga. And pretty much the only time Evan shows emotion as Kenobi.

14. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Think of the choreography.

15. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    They technically don't defy the laws of physics. How's that for wise.

16. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Point is that realism is something that should be taken with a pillar of salt in something like "Star Wars". If the swords are going to, by their very nature, behave in a way completely contrary to the laws of physics, why shouldn't the fighters be able to do the same?

At any rate, ESB for my money has the most distractingly showy choreography of all the films' fencing. That bit at the start where Vader fights one handed just because it looks cool, and he and Luke mostly just stand there. Nice bit of theater, but just as fake as any of the crap that people whine about in the PT.

17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    If that's true, then when can we expect to see them on store shelves?

18. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I'm not saying we will, but it doesn't defy the laws of physics. It's possible.

19. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    As far as I understand, lasers or any kind of light for that matter can't just stop in mid-projection the way that lightsabers do. Likewise, the laser bolts fired by the blasters in the series don't seem feasible, because they travel slower than the speed of light (and maybe bullets, for that matter). So unless there's some kind of extraneous fan-theory about how lightsabers and blasters use something other than lasers, I don't see how they can be possible. And even if they were arguably possible, they'd only be so in a theoretical sense until somebody actually built a real-world working prototype, at which point who gives a damn about physics, because as far as I'm concerned the existence of a kind and loving God has just been proven.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Currently the theory is that lasers are "plasma swords" an arc of plasma, confined by a very powerful magnetic field. I believe some SW novels have already started to use "plasma" in their descriptions of the lightsaber beam.

Similar principles apply to blaster bolts and the like- they are bursts of highly energized charged particles.

(Other people, like Curtis Saxton, writer of the SW Incredible Cross Sections books, have the idea that the "real" blaster beam is invisible, and what we see onscreen is merely some kind of tracer. These theories are based on scenes where objects appear to explode just before the bolts arrive. Which could just be poor timing in the special effects)

21. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Wouldn't that theory be contradicted by people actually referring to the lightsabers and blasters throughout the films as "lasers"? Anakin pointing out Qui-Gon's "laser sword", talk of the superlasers on the Death Star. Hell, even Leia's dumb-as-hell comeback "laser brain" in ESB (my choice for worst scripted scene in the saga, period). Yeah, people could just be using that term colloquially, but I'm not about to take the word of EU books and theorizing seriously over the self-evidence of the films themselves. I'd rather just say that they're lasers, and that the movies' treatment of them are about on the same level of scientific plausibility as sound in space.

22. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    No, they don't really behave in a way that's contrary to physics. Two lightsabers pretty much behave in the same way towards each other as two metal swords would.
    Hence, fighting with two lightsabers should look like two swords. Not some bat**** crazy dance routine.

23. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    I wasn't aware that metal blades were made out of light.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The plasma is excited into its high-energy state by a laser burst, it must be said.

25. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Um, right.

End of the day, if we want to talk about these things scientifically, let's talk Occam's Razor. Which is the simpler explanation-- that lightsabers and blasters aren't actually lasers, despite being referred to as such in the films, and are in reality meant to be a combination of plasma and magnetic-field tech that nobody's ever heard of; or that George Lucas doesn't know his science?

It's space-opera. Not hard sci-fi.