main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Favorite lightsaber duel in the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Mar 4, 2013.

?

Favorite OT duel?

1. Darth Vader v.s. Obi-Wan (ANH)

5.5%
  2. Luke v.s. Darth Vader (TESB)

52.4%
  3. Luke v.s. Darth Vader (ROTJ)

47.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think that Luke vs. Vader ROTJ is the best duel in entire Saga. I love how Luke tries to redeem Vader even as Vader fights him while Palpatine encourages Luke and Vader to fight.

2. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    The OT lightsaber fights seem more like the broadsword fights in Game of Thrones. Slower-paced yes, but still powerful. I voted Empire, because there was additional stuff (Vader attacking Luke with telekinesis), but it was still grounded.

Dark-lord97 and deadly jp like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It wasn't telekinesis dammit! It was the Force.

4. Darth Rycbar

Darth Rycbar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2014
    I've always loved the atmosphere and mood of the ESB fight. The red and blue glow, the steam, all the machinery, and those stairs with THAT pattern.

5. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Definitely the final battle between Vader and Luke. The setting, the music, the Emperor's taunting, Vader's taunting, Luke's brief lash out at Vader in anger.... it's just so.... concluding. It's like the entire trilogy culminates in that one scene.

Sarge likes this.
  6. SarlacsDinnerParty

SarlacsDinnerParty Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2014
    Luke vs vader TESB [face_dancing]

deadly jp likes this.
  7. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    For me, the clear winner is the 'duel' between Luke and 'VaderLuke' in Dagobah's cave in TESB. Even though there is plenty of emotionally anchored lightsaber battles throughout the OT and ROTS, no combat in the saga succeeds in portraying a character's inner struggle quite like this one. The cinematography behind that scene was excellent from the sheer darkness of the cave(showing Luke's obscurity about his demons) to the apparition of 'Vader' springing slow-motion-like towards a recoiling Luke at the crescendo of music tenseness (reflecting very well Luke's disquiet about unknown lurking) and to the young apprentice clumsily drawing on the offensive with Vader(defaulting on fighting rather than truly 'looking' ). Leading to the discovery his only enemy was himself all along when cutting 'himself' open...In this one duel, he realizes he is the only one placing limitations on himself and that he needs to look past appearances. Though a long way from achieving Jedi serenity, it was his first step towards enlightenment....

Honorable mentions: ROTS's Anakin and Obi-Wan's dance to their brotherly Hell in the fires of Mustafar & Luke vs Vader saberlocks (both times).

8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Luke Vs. Darth Vader in ESB. Love the colour palette and lighting.

deadly jp likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  10. awefc

awefc Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2014
    the first duel between luke and vader. no one knew what the outcome would be, and it set it up perfectly for rotj

deadly jp likes this.
  11. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    I voted for ROTJ, since I loved the intensity and there seemed to be a lot more at stake. However, I have a soft spot for the duel in ANH, even though it was the least visually thrilling, since it was the first.

12. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I would have to say there Luke Vader duel in ROTJ. Epic :)

13. The General

The General Jedi Padawan

Oct 15, 2014
    It would have to be Luke/vader in ROTJ. Only one in which the good guys win lol.

14. Shelby

Shelby Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2014
    I love Luke vs. Vader in TESB. It has a creepy vibe I really like. There's an uncertainty about it that I don't feel in ROTJ, like they're both hesitant, sizing one another up for the first time.

15. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    That's what I love about it too. Plus ever since ANH, Luke has been waiting for this moment to avenge Obi-Wan. When Vader appears and says "But you are not a Jedi yet" there's such menace behind it that I get psyched every time even though I know everything that's going to happen.

SkywalkerOG and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Tough one, but I'd have to go with Luke and Vader's in ROTJ.

17. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    Luke VS Vader in Empire by far. I would rate the duel in ROTJ at second

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Freddy vs Jason

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The duel in ESB is my favorite.

20. Dark-lord97

Dark-lord97 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    I voted for the Ben vs Vader fight, not neccesarily because I think it's the best, but it's extremely underrated! First of all, it was the first Lightsaber fight, that alone makes it revolutionary! And second, it's NOT a bad fight! It's slow paced, yes, but I like that. Something called "suspense", you keep wondering what's gonna happen next, who's gonna make the move. These men are old school Jedis and are fighting with style and class. It's not about dancing around(like in the prequel fights), but about making the right move in order to win. It's a battle between former master and student, good and evil, there's a lot at stake!

As someone said, kind of like the fights in Game of Thrones, slow paced and without all the dancing and over the top music in the background. Much more exciting!

Sarge likes this.
  21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I never saw the Ben vs Vader fight as slow paced, but more like a fencing match with both opponents fighting with efficient moves.

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I went with Luke vs. Vader in ROTJ, it's probably my favorite lightsaber battle in any of the movies. Luke actually knows more what he is doing and then the way it ends with Vader's hand cut off and Luke looking down at his own robotic hand....love it.

23. Darth Tron

Darth Tron Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2014
    ANH, the first one I saw. To me the most iconic moment of the entire trilogy was when Obi-Wan sacrificed himself. That's when you knew it was getting serious, and that the heroes were really in danger of dying. The music, the shot, and the timing were perfect. The adversarial banter during the duel was great. The plot advanced while filling in the history of the two men. Too me, it was the most "Star Wars" of the lightsaber duels.

Sarge likes this.
  24. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    Does anyone else agree that the ROTJ duel seemed too short? I know the duel in ANH was not that long either, but the ESB duel had a continuous phase in 3 different locations. I'm not not saying it makes the duel any less concerning quality.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wish the ROTJ duel could have been a bit longer. Add some of the scenes from the novel. When Luke was hiding from Vader, there is a whole section with Luke tossing his saber to Vader and then reaching for it with the Force before attacking. Heck Vader has the saber in the finished movie.