main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Favorite Memories of Star Wars Night at the Bisons

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by 72Princess1, May 24, 2017.

1. 72Princess1

72Princess1 President - NR star 4

Feb 27, 2015
    With excitement building for this year's 10th Anniversary of Star Wars Night at the Bisons building, please post your favorite SWN memory or memories.

If this is your first SWN event, post your thoughts about this year's event.

2. Rock Nightshifter

Rock Nightshifter North Ridge Diplomat star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I have many fond memories from Star Wars Night. But I have two that stick in my mind as my favorites.
    SWN 2: this was our first time attending the event as patrons. It was truly magical and what stood out was how engaging all the members were and how captivated Aiden was with absolutely everything about the evening.
    SWN 8: this was special because it was the first time that Aiden was able to dual on the field. It brought everything full circle from being an attendee in awe to him being able to provide that same kind of awe to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myhale99, mJedi775 and quigonschuel like this.
  3. jwnikita

jwnikita Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 25, 2016
    Last year was my first year attending (as a spectator), in spite of wanting to attend for many years. I had just joined SAWNY and Jeff and I had already planned to join the North Ridge. I blame Dan and Beckie on both accounts :) (Separate story for another time) Anyway, Dan gave Jeff and I tickets for last year and I was very excited to go. I remember sitting in the blazing sun, dripping sweat thinking, "My God, those people in costumes must be soooo very uncomfortable" I couldn't wait to be a part of it! I am honored to be part of the North Ridge and of this year's event and story (even with my non-cannon but still holding hope to be character) I have learned so much from my dueling partners and I cannot wait to get on the field that night.

4. quigonschuel

quigonschuel Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2011
    Where to begin...

Christopher and I started attending SWN, I believe, in year 3 or 4 (I vividly recall character placement over the left field wall, and a very young Victoria as Ahsoka). Believe it or not, I had no idea SWN was a thing until my wife called me at work to tell me about it. He and I were in awe of what we had seen, and wanted to keep coming back for more, hoping to eventually be a part of this spectacle. My greatest thrill was, during my first SWN in 2012, singing the National Anthems with instrumental assistance from Larry on flute and Antoine on violin. Christopher's greatest thrill so far is being involved with his first SWN as a participant instead of spectator! My biggest thrill for this year is the long-awaited (5 years) debut of my Qui-Gon Jinn character! See you all next week!

5. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    :redsaber: That first one 10 years ago on Geonosis... :bluesaber:

quigonschuel likes this.
  6. Kate Knadle

Kate Knadle Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2016
    Cory and I are thrilled to be part of our very first SWN! We had heard about the event before, but we never knew what it actually was. I had a coworker who attended last year's event and she told me how amazing it was. I didn't know how much of a big deal it was and I didn't even know about the North Ridge. Not long after that, we joined the group and we were very excited to participate in such a huge show! It's great to be able to bring our favorite characters to life on a field in front of thousands of Star Wars fans. I'm very proud of Cory, who has never done anything like this before. It's been amazing to share this experience with him, including kicking his butt in our duel lol. I know our friends and family are looking forward to seeing all the hard work we've put into the show. I'm grateful to be part of the 10th anniversary and I just can't wait for June 3rd!!!

7. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    The year the Sith won and we got booooo off the field!!! With my first ever Star Wars night in a close second lol

8. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    Despite my advanced, Yoda-like age, last year was my first ever SWN. I was honored that the writers entrusted my Dodonna character with a great part in the storyline. All six of my grand kids were there to see me charge onto the field in the spotlight...something I don't think any of them would have ever expected to see! Definitely NOT the normal Grampa activity. All in all it was quite an experience and a bit overwhelming at times. Not sure how many more of these events are in my future, but SWN 9 will always remain a great memory.

9. mJedi775

mJedi775 Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2013
    Well I'd have to go the SWN 8 because it was my first year. It was just great to see the crowd cheering at all our hard work and was a lot of fun. Something I'll never forget. :)

myhale99 and quigonschuel like this.
  10. VideoPrince

VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers / Diplomat star 4

May 31, 2002
    Being "booed" by 17,000 people.

quigonschuel, myhale99 and BPStoyle like this.
  11. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Where to begin?

1. Breaking the tshirt cannon in year 1. It hasn't been back since LOL
    2. Seeing my boys on the big screen in various cameos. Seeing other members children grow up and into new roles in the videos and wondering when they all got so big!
    3. Throwing out the first pitch. 3 for 3 in strikes!!!
    4. The battery incident! Not my favorite, but how could it go without mention?
    5. Definitely getting booed by almost 18k fans!!!
    6. Melting in year 9. My pleather body suit melted to other costume parts in 90 degree weather.
    7. Meeting the International League President and hearing from him first hand how excited he was to see the show. He extended his stay in Buffalo just to witness SWN
    8. Raising more and more money for Compass House year after year
    9. Selling out the only other game during the season. We also worked hard to create the #1 promotion and are on the top 10 list of things you must do in the summer in Buffalo
    10. Being part of the J Team and working together to take an idea and turn it into something together.

I'm sure I'll have 10 more to add after Saturday!

iamkrob, myhale99, BPStoyle and 3 others like this.
  12. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    1. Coming home after year 1 to a house full of sleeping family and sitting on the edge of the bed. Amy asked, "How was it?" half asleep. I replied (paraphrasing), "We only had about a few hundred people, but I had a lot of fun. If we and the Bisons can come up with interesting things in the future, I can see this turning into something big." (No lie.)

2. Year 3 (or was it 4) that we had 3 rain delays and the show was threatened to get cancelled. We (the Northridge) had just voted to cancel the show, Lisa in tears, and all of us in the dumps, when someone from the Bisons organization (manager?) came down and asked us what we needed. We said we needed the infield uncovered to put the show on. Manager looked to groundskeeper and told him to take the infield cover off. The show was on.
    From that point on, we (The Northridge & the Bisons) began to think that we have something special going on here.

3. Watching my children grow with this event & become a part of it.

4. Seeing our numbers swell both in fans and membership as well as donations.

5. Getting to wield a lightsaber on stage. (coming from a stormtrooper, that's kinda big).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Raising an increasing amount of money for charity each year while having fun...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using a hacked pirate satellite in a decaying orbit

14. Lee Solara

Lee Solara North Ridge Secretary star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    We started as spectators in year 2 and I remember just watching Aiden have his own duel in the hall. The look in his eyes was complete awe.
    My first show year 7: right before all the Sith ran out from the out field, almost being knocked back by the force of the fire work canon blast. Then trying not to throw up because I was so nervous. As soon as those doors opened and we came poring onto the field, Wow! Just Wow! It was an amazing feeling with the roar from the crowd filled with glowing sabers. Larry was dressed as Chip. Even though I had a moment when I froze and forgot the duel, Larry kept me going. Then coming off the field with Dan waiting in the tunnel with tears in his eyes telling me how proud of me he was.

Year 8: Aiden was inducted into the group with an amazing ceremony. Our family was selected to be filmed and followed all day for the "In a Galaxy" series on go 90 app. It was a long day, but really cool experience. I was so proud Aiden got out there at only 10 years old. He worked so hard. We had a great family duel.

Year 9: Sabine was chosen as a main character in the show. I was the first one one the field for the live performance. After I was captured, I ran off the field for my 10 second costume change to duel as a sith on the field. Even though the costume change went great at rehearsal, my hood didn't make it up when I went on field. But then while dueling Tom, I got to watch Aiden and James duel on the jumbo train and to hear the crowd roar as they were spotlighted was really amazing.

Year 10: filming was a lot of fun. Seeing our little bobble head trooper on the jumbo tron was cool. I had so much fun trooping with the Rebels this year. I made sure Sabine's art work was all over the stadium. I stamped hundreds of kids and adults with the Phoenix symbol. At the end of the show there was a little girl with here Sabine mask on on the third base line. I made sure to stop and talk with her. She loved the show so much. To see that joy on her face. She made sure to show me she still had her stamp on. She was so sweet. Dad even whispered a thank you from behind her. My night was made.

myhale99, Rock Nightshifter and TFS like this.