main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Favorite moments in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by GavinKelly, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GavinKelly

GavinKelly Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 3, 2004
    Welcome to the thread that is not hosted by a left wing wacko or a convicted fellon. NO! (Sorry, Professor Tom! Love your radio show. Blow me up Alderran/Tarkin/Vader/Leia style if your reading this!) Anyway, what was your favorite LOTR moment?

One of my many favorite moments, though this is just one of them, was the Men-in-black like Nazgul searching the entire Shire for the Hobbits on horse-back. If you noticed the behavior of the Nazgul, they resemble the modern day version of the so-called men-in-black who threaten witnesses with hollow threats, etc.

(Yes! This is the Jedi Rohilim HQ in case you're wondering.)

2. Child_of_Zion

Child_of_Zion Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2004
    I really loved Sam's speech at the end of The Two Towers when he explained how there was still good in the world and it is worth fighting for. I also liked the scene in the extended version of Fellowship when Sam and Frodo are cooking up some good looking sausage when the see the Wood Elves walking through the forrest, They are singing a song that I felt was just very beautiful.

3. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Most definitely my favourite scene out of the whole trilogy had to be in The Two Towers when Elrond was explaining what would happen to Arwen if she stayed behind. Of course this is nowhere to be found in the book, but I love this part, which is strange. The mixture of the images, nice morphing effect and the beautiful song sung by Isabel Bayrakdarian is absolutely intoxicating. I weep nearly every time I see this part of the film, absolutely brilliant. Something about the sombre feel of the scene gets me.

[Gemini_Rant]Oh, and the Rohilim? Is that a play on words or something? And your LotR Film quote in your sig is off... is it another play on words or did you just hear it wrong? If it's the latter, the quote is "Give up the halfling, she-elf."[/Gemini_Rant]

Cheers and blessed be!
    -Derycke

4. GavinKelly

Mar 3, 2004
    Thanks for noticing my error. Yes you were right, Vengeance.

Yes the Jedi Rohilim is a play on words. It points out the likeness of both Star Wars and LOTR.

My other favorite scene(s) was the confrontation with both Saruman at Isengard and the Balrog at Moria. Lots of action and Force-like play there. Both scenes featuring Gandalf, of chours.

By the way, does anyone know how to get a title around here?

5. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Just so y'all know, this sock (Gavin Kelly) has started a thread like this in two other FF fourms. One was deleted, one was locked. here is the link to the non-deleted one.

6. jedi078

jedi078 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2003
    I am a Smeagol/Gollum fan. So I would have to say the scene in Two Towers where Smeagol and Gollum argue with each other/himself.

7. _Vengeance_

Jul 1, 2002
    Wes: Aye, thank you for pointing that out. I personally did some looking into it my own earlier this week *shrugs*

Aye, the Gollum scene was pretty nifty, but personally I find it to be a little annoying. Most people love Gollum because of that scene, which really irks me because he isn't supposed to be cute. Though this is usually with people who have only seen the movies and not read the books, this whole "Gollum is so cute!" thing. It's like how lots of people who have only seen the movies absolutely loathe Boromir and (before Return of the King was released) Faramir. I've had to convince numerous friends of mine that Boromir was in all aspects a very honourable and well-meaning man. *sighs* Ah well, I digress.

Another few scenes that I think are really powerful are the moments just after Olórin falls with the Balrog in Fellowship of the Ring, and again when Boromir is slain. Both those scenes are absolutely beautifully done, and are some of my favourites from Fellowship.

---,-'-,'-,-?

Cheers and blessed be!
    -Derycke

8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    And this has what to do with Star Wars or Fan Force?

Hey I love LOTR just like the next guy but there are forums for that wonderful trilogy, too, and I don't see the relevance of this thread.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    In no particular order:

Gandalf vs Balrog
    Aragorn vs 5 Nazgûl at Weathertop
    Éowyn & Merry vs Witch-king
    Gandalf arriving at Minas Tirith
    The beacons being lit
    The Rohirrim destroying the Uruks that captured Merry and Pippin
    Gandalf and the Rohirrim riding down the slopes to Helm's Deep
    Faramir's retreat from Osgiliath
    Pippin's song
    Minas Morgul lighting up
    Aragorn's speech at the Black Gate
    The Grey Havens
    The "bridge acrobatics" scene in Moria
    Legolas killing the mûmak
    The dead army arriving at Pelennor
    Gollum arguing with himself
    Pippin looking into the palantír
    Boromir's death scene
    Flashback to Boromir, Faramir and Denethor at Osgiliath
    Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn arriving at Edoras in TTT

10. _Vengeance_

Jul 1, 2002

[i]And this has what to do with Star Wars or Fan Force?

Hey I love LOTR just like the next guy but there are forums for that wonderful trilogy, too, and I don't see the relevance of this thread.[/i][hr][/blockquote]
    [b]Bowen[/b]: The FanForce and their forums are not restricted to only be about Star Wars. Yes, it's true their main purpose is to be a place for fans to meet and talk Star Wars, but the greatest reason that they exist is so that people can meet and form new friendships, and discuss things that they like, as friends do. So if someone wants to start a thread about Lord of the Rings to see what their friends in the FanForce think about it, I think it's quite relevant.

Granted Gavin here knows none of us (most likely) and is not even a part of our FanForce, but he came wanting to discuss Lord of the Rings with people of the FanForce. That's all that matters, discussion with friends and anybody willing to discuss with you. But if you're still set that this doesn't belong, maybe I could direct you towards [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9612629&replies=2]this thread[/link] you started a few years back. Or mayhaps the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Oregon_FanForce/b10057/13316235/p1]religion thread[/link], which you participated in more than any other user (well, except for Melanie, maybe).

So just let the discussion keep going, Bowen.

[b]Bib[/b]: I have to agree with you on all of those. They are all brilliant moments both cinematically and emotionally. Either sending chills down my spine or tears out of my eyes.

[color=green]---,-'-,'-,-[/color][color=red]?[/color]

Cheers and blessed be!
    -Derycke

11. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    i'm gonna have to say i loved the fight between aragorn and lurtz. arm, chest, head.

12. GavinKelly

Mar 3, 2004
    Vengeance, thanks for sticking up for my thread. If Bowen will be patient, he will find the answer he's looking for.

Even though Janson/Typo/Psycho is right, my Gavin account is practically my main account. I may swich to several accounts from time to time.

And this has what to do with Star Wars or Fan Force?

Hey I love LOTR just like the next guy but there are forums for that wonderful trilogy, too, and I don't see the relevance of this thread.

Ask and ye shall resieve. Star Wars and LOTR has alot in common:

1: Sword play
    2: The Saruman/Count Dookoo factor (Christopher Lee)
    3: Rebel Alliance/The last alliance of free men (and elves)
    4: Magic/The Force
    5: Sauron/Emperor Palpatine
    6: Saruman/Lord Darth Vader?

Need I say more?

Oops! Bib Fortuna caught a nasty error in my slogan! Yes, I checked it myself. He's right. Rohirrim not Rohilim. Thanks, Bib!

On LOTR: I never loathed Boromir. In fact, I found myself hating Gollum even more in the Return of the King. Especially when Gollum framed Sam. That really pissed me off. I never liked backstabers on that level.

13. GavinKelly

Mar 3, 2004
    Whoops! Duh-ble post. My bad.

TWO TOWERS: LBE (Low Budget Edition)
    ARAGORN falls off the cliff.
    LEGOLAS: Oh no! I almost had another facial expression!

14. Jedi_KNick

Jedi_KNick Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2003
    Dead army.

'Nuff said.

-KNick

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    "So just let the discussion keep going, Bowen."

As if I have any power over that, haha. Don't patronize me. It makes you sound unbelievably silly.

There is a huge difference between talking about religion with fellow Star Wars fans and talking about another franchise entirely in a Star Wars forum. A huge difference. Within the SW fan community, if we sat here and talked about what kind of cars we drove, that would be one thing. It would be SW fans discussing other parts of their lives. Discussing another franchise in a Star Wars message board is just a bit retarded. There are plenty of great LOTR forums all over the net.

I love LOTR, though, so obviously I don't have any issue with a good discussion about some great movies. It just seems to me a bit like trolling to come into a forum you've not posted in and make your first thread on LOTR. But whatever, as long as people enjoy the thread.

16. _Vengeance_

Jul 1, 2002
    Nice try, Bowen.

Although I do respect your determination to defend your stand, which by all means is a great thing in my book, you are still on bad grounds. I notice how you mention that it is completely different to discuss religion in the place of Lord of the Rings with your friends on a board, since Lord of the Rings is a completely different from the Star Wars franchise, but you say nothing at all about your radio debut thread. Interesting. Trying to sway the attention away from it? Because to me it seems that a Radio Show about film reviews is a completely different franchise as well. And if you are going to say that since it does review films, it's related to Star Wars, well then maybe you should consider the fact that Lord of the Rings is our generations Star Wars, the fact that ILM and Skywalker sound helped out with Lord of the Rings, and that Christopher Lee acted in both sagas.

Those connections are just as infantile as any reason for posting a thread for the Radio Show.

Aye it may be his first post in here, and it may be about Lord of the Rings. But really, that doesn't matter. He wants to discuss here. You should be honoured, not insulting.

Good day, Bowen. I hope you realize how unbelievably silly you sound.

Cheers and blessed be!
    -Derycke

17. GavinKelly

Mar 3, 2004
    Oh my. This is starting to sound like a grudge match from Grudge Central(tm). Has anyone placed their bets yet? :D

18. KyleReese

KyleReese Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2004
    Speaking of radio shows, didn't Star Wars have a Star Wars Radio Network in the past?

The Battle at Helm's Deap was the best war sceen in the entire movie. The Iraqi War made The Battle at Isengard look like a walk in the park.

By the way. My bet's on Vengeance. Up with the thread!

19. Kurt_Wagner846

Kurt_Wagner846 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2003
    One of my favorite moments is when Theoden is ready to take his men to battle he and all the others scream and Theoden pulls out his sword and rides across the front line to clang his sword with the other soliders. Oh it made me cry.

20. Kurt_Wagner846

Aug 4, 2003
    Nevermind I thought the countdown thing would come up.

21. GavinKelly

Mar 3, 2004
    What freaked me out was Shelob in Return of the King.

22. Kurt_Wagner846

Aug 4, 2003
    Yeah I cried at the end of this whole movie. :_|

23. GavinKelly

Mar 3, 2004
    If anyone has a favorite moment in any of the LOTR movies, please keep posting! We're dying to know.

24. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    yeah, shelob was pretty cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.