main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite NJO scene

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valyn, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I started becoming a serious Star Wars reader when I picked up my first NJO novel, "Dark Tide I: Onslaught".

I realize that the writing style of the "Dark Tide" novels was not exactly most intriguing, but it was in "Ruin" that I came upon ny first tear-worthy scene.

Excerpt:
    In the wardroom, covered with a white sheet to her throat, Daeshara'cor lay on a bed, barely moving. He could tell she was still breathing, but her breaths came shallow and hurried.
    Anakin brushed away a tear and entered the medical bay. Droids busied themselves with other patients. He moved over to the left side of the bed and rested his hand on Daeshara'cor's hidden wrist.

She started for a second, then opened he eyes. Her surprised expression changed to one of happiness, though it lingered for only a second or two. Weariness washed from her, and Anakin could feel the spark of her life dimming. "Anakin."

"Hi. How are you?" Anakin squeezed his eyes shut for a moment. "Stupid, stupid..."

Daeshara?cor slipped her left hand from beneath his grip and the sheet, then brushed a tear from his cheek. "It's okay. The venom--"

Anakin sniffed. "Corran was bitten. They saved him."

"Human chemistry...different from a Twi'lek's." She lowered her hand and grabbed his, squeezing as hard as she could, which felt terribly weak to him. "There is nothing they can do. I'm dying."

"No! Not fair--you can't!" Anakin snarled as hot tears splashed his cheeks. 'Not you, not like--"

"Chewbacca?"

Anakin's knees buckled, and he started to go down but found a chair beneath his butt. He covered his face with his hands and felt Daeshara'cor stroking his hair. "I made a mistake and he died. I made a mistake and you are dying."

"There is no death...there is only the Force."

He looked up through tear-blurred eyes. "It still hurts."

"I know." She managed a weak smile. "Anakin, you have to know....even though I am dying...I would not change things...neither would Chewbacca."

"How can you say--"

She stroked his cheek, her fingers feeling cold against his skin. "He died...I die...in service to life. You saved me from the darkness. I saved you...not in recompense, but so you can continue serving life, the Force."

He reached up and covered her hand with his. "I will never be as good a servant as you or Chewie."

Daeshara'cor smiled again, maintaining it though the corners of her mouth quivered. "You already are, Anakin, and you will be greater. As you heal, you will be stronger than anyone can imagine. We are proud of you, so proud..."

Her voice faded, along with her smile, as life drained from her. Anakin pressed her hand harder against his face, but found her touch fleeting and faint. As he watched, she became lighter, then translucent, and finally disappeared as the sheet that had covered her collapsed.

I also enjoyed "Conquest", where Anakin noticed Luke's moment of weakness and Kyp was expressing his frustration with the Jedi's current plight.

2. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Luke + Two lightsabers = One of best scenes in NJO.

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000

The room spun faster. Stand firm, Jacen, he heard.
    He could not fight this darkness. Not without the light of the Force. And the darkness must be fought!
    Jacen reached inward and outward for the devastating, ravishing energy that was too large to comprehend, too might to use without being changed forever. He balanced himself around his glimmering blade ? and charged.

-Balance Point, page 309

4. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Anakin + Tahiri + an unchaperoned section of either a ship or station( I can't remember)= Their first kiss. Ohh yeah. Loved Corran's line when he found them too.

5. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Han and Droma flying back and forth in Hero's Trial.

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Kyp and Ganner on the Vongship, Jedi Eclipse

7. Roa

Roa Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2002
    My favorite scene is the final moments of Borsk Fey'lya in SBS.

8. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Kyp dieing. (Yet to be shown)

9. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    You spelt dieting wrong :)

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Quote: "You spelt dieting wrong."

LMAO! Wonderful! Wonderful! Yes. Kyp has yet to diet, not die... ;)

And all of those scenes mentioned above were amazing, too! I forgot about the scene where Luke was wielding two sabers. That was awesome. I also enjoyed the comic relief in the "Agents of Chaos" novels.

And, of course, Anakin and Tahiri's first kiss was an amazing scene. It found it amusing when Anakin told her to clear her mind right afterwards, and the comment she produced was hilarious.

Unfortunately, I've never read "Balance Point". I also haven't read "Vector Prime", but I don't intend to. I've been reading R.A. Salvatore for some time (been a fan of his Drizzt Do'Urden novels for the Forgotten Realms series), and I eventually got sick of his style. :p

11. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    The YVH presentation to the NR officials and the assassinateion attempt on Borsk right after it. Best chapter I've ever read.

12. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    How about when Leia made Jacen cry like a little baby in Rebirth. It was classic.

13. borskfums371

borskfums371 Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2002
    The battle of Coruscant was the most amazing thing I've ever read.

14. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    When the vong fleet is trapped at ithor.

I haven't read it in along time but it goes something like:

'and before they could have been sucked out from the 1st voly of cuncussion missles, the second hit'

somewhere near the end in ruin.

Miin Bodenna
    Co-CEO of Massassi
    Defense Department

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Borsk biting the bullet. No, not because I'm a Fey'lya hater, but because it was such a beautifully well-written scene.

16. Doikk-Na-ts

Doikk-Na-ts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2002
    The whole scene in VP when Jacen and Jaina go to Belkadan to rescue Miko and Danni.

"You're going to need more help when I get you back home." ...came her father's voice..."

And the part where Jaina picks up the stylus ship and hauls @$$ out of the area.

17. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    The fall of Coruscant.It is probably one of the best battle scenes I have ever read.

Borsk's death as well.Although I hated him in the earlier books,his character in SbS was great.But it wouldn't last.At least he died killing as many Yuuzhan Vong as he could.

18. Anakin1607

Feb 7, 2002
    As far as battles go, Coruscant and Black Bantha are my favs. Booster Vs. the crusier task force was entertaining too.

19. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    I enjoyed reading Chewbacca dying. No, not because I hated him-in fact, he was my favorite character of the OT- but because it set the tone for the rest of the NJO and gave the EU something it had been needing for a long time: the death of a major character.

20. Halcoholic

Halcoholic Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    I also want to say I enjoyed, though I didn't, the death scene of Chewie, it was remarkably well-written... "A fitting last pose of defiance, but one that did nothing to mend the tear ripping through Han's heart."

What book does Luke wield two lightsabers in? Must me either SbS or Dark Journey, neither of which I own...

21. Anakin1607

Feb 7, 2002
    The first Dark Tide book. Onslaught.

22. skywalker287

skywalker287 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Borsk fey-lya's death in SbS. IT was good to see him redeem himself.
    Luke fighting with two light-sabers was really good too.

23. Halcoholic

Halcoholic Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    *cough* *embarassment* I'm thinking I'm gonna read all the NJO books over again... after I'm done with Wraith Squadron :)

24. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah, he wields two lightsabers to save Jacen from the Vong because he tried to save the slaves and was captured.

That, too, was a great scene.

25. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Luke with two sabers was great. Nice to see him being un-wimpy for a change.

Chewie's death scene was also great, as was Anakin's (even though I considered his death overkill).

But my all-time favorite scene so far was when Jacen returned to the Force in BP to save Leia. Absolutely brilliant stuff, that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.