main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Favorite non-LotR fantasy books...

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Kurgan1, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Time for a change of pace. Everyone--I'd like to know what your favorite fantasy books are. Lord of the Rings is too damned easy, so that one doesn't count. Personally, it's not even my favorite (but that's simply because of the writing style).

Anyway, my favorite fantasy stories are (in order):
    1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
    2. The Dark Tower by Stephen King
    3. The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
    4. Talion: Revenant by Michael A. Stackpole
    5. The Forever King saga by Molly Cochrane and Warren Murphy
    6. The Dark Glory War (prequel to the Dragoncrown War trilogy) by Michael A. Stackpole
    7. The Shadow War by George Lucas and Chris Claremont
    8. The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
    9. Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King
    10. A Hero Born duology by Michael A. Stackpole

There are more, but I will stop at ten. There are many more books that I still have yet to read that might take the place of some of the ten (Terry Brooks' Shanarra series, a few Dragonlance books, and the aforementioned Dragoncrown war trilogy, of which only the first book has just come out, etc.) but these have been the best I have read.

Anyone else?

2. DarthCynthia

DarthCynthia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    Strangely, I haven't read many fantasy books and the few I have were far too long ago for me to remember much of... but..

I'm currently reading the Harry Potter books and *loving* them. Makes me wish I was a kid.. oh wait! I am a "kid" (at heart) ;)

3. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    Fantasy?...Fantasy?

You haven't read fantasy until you read my tax return for this year.

4. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    If you haven't read Dan Simmons' Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, and The Rise of Endymion, you're missing out on some great stuff.

Also, for more "classical" fantasy, check out the stories of a swordsman and rogue duo in Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser series.

5. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    Dragonlance, hands down is the successor to the rings throne.

Jousting on dragonback is something i can only dream about.... for now :)

6. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Well, what I've read of Dragonlance has been good, and I do mean to read at least the main books at some point, but I don't know about successor status.

I'd say it would have to be the Wheel of Time for pure Tolkien-esque fantasy. The story is even more epic, although you have to be slightly insane to get into the series at this point. Robert Jordan is the most long-winded writer of all time. So far there have been NINE books in the series, each of which is AT LEAST 750 pages. Most are over 1000. Jordan himself has said there will have to be at least three more books to finish it off.

What's really scary is that all of them have been written and published within the last ten years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.