main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite NON-Star Wars,John Williams Soundtracks.

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by skyy38, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    That is to say,any favorites of yours by Mr. Williams that don't say "Star Wars" on the cover.

My favorite has got to be "The Towering Inferno".It is loaded with good themes and good music,starting with the massive(5:01)main title,an ambitious musical statement following the journey of a helicopter down the California coastline.
    I won't go into really great detail here,all I can say is see the movie for yourself and decide for yourself how good the score really is....

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Probably Hook.

The final 20 minutes or so of E.T. are spectacular, but the rest leaves me cold.

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Jurassic Park

Jaws

Indiana Jones

And a lot more!

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, Hook or Jurassic Park, I think

5. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Shadows of the Empire

Oh wait, that's a Non-John Williams, Star Wars soundtrack. :p

Seriously, though...it's a tough call. I'm kinda leaning towards Superman at the moment.

6. Starrider

Starrider Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2003
    For me, it would be a tossup between ET and Jaws.

7. stradman

stradman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2002
    I am not sure that I can answer this one. As far as early Williams, I think it would either be Indiana Jones or Superman. Mid Williams would either be Jurassic Park, Hook and Shindler's List (this is just so haunting), But later Williams, I would have to go with either Saving Privite Ryan (Hymn to the Fallen sends chills down my spine) and Catch me if you can is just something from him that I have never heard before. Over the years, JW has matured so much as a composer that I believe that it is impossible for me to pick out one "favorite" composition of his.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm a big fan of Empire Of The Sun, but I'd probably go with Raiders Of The Lost Ark for the march , if nothing else.

9. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    I would have to say John Williams Cello Concerto. One of most amazing and modern concertos I have ever heard. If you have never heard I recomend you should.

10. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    The Fury and ET.

11. endangeredsp

endangeredsp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2003
    The ET soundtrack. It's so magical and beautiful, and touching.

12. Neil_S_Bulk

Neil_S_Bulk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    Superman - The Movie is my favorite John Williams score, though Star Wars is close behind.

Bravo "DarthSil" for acknowledging The Fury. That's another favorite of mine. Did you get the 2 dsic edition Varese issued last year?

Neil

13. -DarthMetallus-

-DarthMetallus- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2003
    Temple of Doom was really good. Close encounters was a good one too.Uhhhhh there are so many of them its hard to bit one.

14. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    As the topic does denote plural scores ("Soundtracks"), I will try to go into as much detail as I can on as many of my favorite non-Star Wars, John Williams soundtracks. I'm gonna split this up into parts.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
    The one that started the trilogy! This is an excellent score, and a major highlight of Williams's career. Obviously there is The Raiders March", but superb scoring flows through the whole thing, with some of my favorite pieces being "The Basket ", the cue missing from all albums for the scene in which Indy knocks down a statue to break through the wall in the Well of Souls, back-to-back intense action with "Airplane Fight" and "Desert Chase", and, finally, "The Miracle of the Ark." That track is just awesome.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Another great entry into the Indy series. A different type of sound, but still bursts with adventure. My favorites? The end of "Fast Streets of Shanghai" contains one of my all time favorite statements of The Raiders March--full of energy and excitement, I love every second of it. Also, I really enjoy Short Round's theme and the complete cue for the escape of the slave children and the fight on the conveyor belt, still unreleased.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    A stellar score, this one! A sort of combination of the previous two sounds (makes you wonder how number 4 will sound!), this is one of, if not the best of the current trilogy. Favorites are the cue for young Indy's "very first adventure", "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra", and the whole cue for the tanks in the desert sequence.

E.T.
    Can't really say much on this one, as I haven't heard the complete score, but I absolutely love the 20+ minute finale!

Spacecamp
    I haven't heard that much of this one, either, but I love the theme!

That's all for now. I'll be back later.

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    E.T., Schindler's List, the Indy trilogy, Jurassic Park, A.I., Harry Potter... I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

16. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I like JFK and The Accidental Tourist

17. JeremyVassago

JeremyVassago Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Hmm... let's assume that 10 is the limit. :)
    Here would be my ten, then (random order):

Superman (complete)
    Jaws
    Indy: Raiders...
    Indy: Temple...
    Indy: Crusade...
    Jurassic Park
    The Lost World
    Empire of the Sun
    A.I.
    JFK

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "The Lost World"

Wow. That rarely gets any mentions. Nice.

19. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    Jurassic Park.

20. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    AACK! I've already used up five! Okay, here's a couple more:

Hook
    One of Williams's greatest. I love this one, and all its great themes and underscore. The flight theme is a fun favorite, and I also enjoy the theme for Hook and the theme for the Lost Boys. My favorite tracks have to be "Prologue", the last two minutes of "Remembering Childhood", and "The Ultimate War", particularly about the first fifteen seconds and about 4:00-4:15 or so.

Home Alone 2:Lost in New York
    I got the Deluxe Edition of this one, and it's worth every cent, I tell you! It's overflowing with energy, emotion, and all around Christmas cheer! This one's in my CD player a lot. The "Main Titles" track is a favorite of mine, mainly for the little Nutcracker-like music box part towards the beginning. Also, I love the "Somewhere in My Memory" main theme, Kevin's Theme, and the theme for Duncan's Toy Store (an orchestral rendition of one of Williams's "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" carol, which I also like). "Preparing the Trap" is, of course, a classic, and I also love the chase melody of "To the Plaza, Presto!".

21. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    My favorites are Raiders of the Lost Ark and Amistad.

The scene when Indy punches the bad guy out of the cab of the truck and the music goes "DUM-DEE DUUUMMMMMM/ DUM DE DA DA DAAAAAA" is great.

"Cinque's Theme" from Amistad is simply the prettiest piece of music from the 20th century. "Sierra Leone 1839" and "Crossing the Atlantic" feature what sound like early versions of "Duel of the Fates".

"Hymn for the Fallen" from Saving Private Ryan is a real tearjerker.

22. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Darnit, I though for a second your username was eldfart. Sorry.

23. charben01

charben01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2001
    Superman the Movie
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Jurassic Park
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    Dracula
    Spacecamp
    ET

24. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    ---SHINDLERS LIST---

the rest are catchy, but this is his masterpiece. hell, it even got the damn oscar.

25. Lady_Jedi_Skywalker

Lady_Jedi_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    Harry and the Philosper's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. They're the only soundtracks I own apart from the Star Wars ones, made by John Williams.

Another post brought to you by LJS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.