main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Favorite PT ending montage?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by PTisgreat, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Agreed on this shot.

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Actually, while i said TPM earlier (mosty because of Padme's smile), I'm changing my answer to ROTS, for the reasons already pointed out by other posters. The "four Skywalkers" montage is beautiful; Vader finally fully as Vader (with the TPM music in the background), Padme's funeral, and the fate of the twins.
    The music is spot-on (in the whole movie in fact), and listening to the credits is emotional too.

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I think the ending of ROTS is perfect.

The dramatic and swelling theme of a fallen galaxy while a new hope is born. The good and wise Padme's death (Queen of Naboo/Queen of Wisdom) is symbolically the final death of the Republic while the birth of Vader in the suit is symbolic of the true ascension of the Empire. The visuals - like all of ROTS - are also stunningly beautiful and appropriately dramatic. It illustrates the ultimate tragedy yet also emphasizes the hope of liberation.

The final shot is the true masterpiece of the Prequel Trilogy to me.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I love the ending of AOTC and ROTS equally.

The ending of AOTC is such a bleak ending. Easily the darkest ending of any of the Star Wars films. Palpatine looking out as The Republic takes its first step to becoming an Empire. A crestfallen Bail Organa who knows what is happening is wrong, but is powerless to stop it.

I always wish they would've put Jar Jar in the Chancellors balcony, but its a minor quibble. And of course The Imperial March returns!

Then we cut away from the grandest of settings, with HUGE ramifications for the entire galaxy, to a small, personal scene - Anakin and Padmes doomed wedding with the droids looking on. This is such an awesome scene. The way Anakin takes Padme with his mechamical hand is chilling - The look of fear and doom in Padmes eyes - She knows this marriage is going to destroy her, but she is swept up in an overpowering love that prevents her from doing the rational thing (which would be running a mile from Anakin) and instead submits herself to a relationship she knows will drag her down to her doom.

Anybody notice the little nod of approval C3PO makes? Like his maker he unable to comprehend or rationalise how disasterous this marriage will be.

Then the doomed lovers turn their back to the camera and their fate is sealed. The dice has been thrown and now nothing can stop the chain of events that will bring both Anakin and Padme to their doom. This is it. The collapse of the Republic, the destruction of the Jedi and the fall of the Chosen One starts NOW!

Fantastic.=D=

But then again I also love the visual poetry of ROTS. The mother, the father, the daughter and finally the son. Each scene is so powerful and the great thing is that the scenes concerning the mother and father are tremendously sad and dark, yet the scenes concerning the children do offer glimmers of hope.

My absolute favourite moment of the montage is the cut from Padme, lying dead in her coffin and clutching the jappor snippit made for her by an innocent nine year old boy - To the cold, overwhlming bleakness of deep space. The iconic image of a Star Destroyer type ship and the familier screech of Tie-Fighters.

In one shot you really do get the full story of the Prequel Trilogy. The softness and beauty and femininity of Padme and the innocence of the japor snippit made for her out of love by a compassionate little boy - Broken by bleak, cold, mechanical, calculating evil.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ Excellent observations. =D=

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    It's interesting to see how opinions on here for this topic are spread across the board...no one ending seems to have more favor than another...interesting. [face_thinking]

For me, I'd say it is ROTS. After thinking about it abit, I realized that it is a point in the saga that is a huge turning point in several ways.

Everything has gone to hell, and there is no going back, the Sith are now in control. And as I see Padme lying with the japor necklace in her hand, I think "This part of their story is over. A tragic ending to what could have been. There is no going back." But we see the twins, and suddenly a faint glimmer of hope sparks within, that someday-perhaps things may change, someday redemption will come...

I know, overly dramatic. But that is what goes on in my mind at the end of ROTS.

7. Boom_Pow

Boom_Pow Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2009
    I'll throw another vote to ROTS. TPM actually felt like an ending, like ANH for the OT, which I was originally going to vote for, but the more I think about the ties ROTS has between the PT and the OT, I'm going to have to vote for it.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The ways that ROTS ties the PT to the OT are huge. It is a profound connection that says "this sets everything up for what we will see in twenty years"... and I love that the final chapter on the ROTS DVD is titled "A New Hope".

9. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Completely 100 percent agree with your post, especially this part. I also recall a slight sparkle in Padme's dress which become the stars during that wipe. Its ironic that Anakin should live in a galaxy, a body, and a life that he killed.

10. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    ROTS for me, my favorite shot is of Obi-Wan stroking his beard as he watches Beru walk away with young Luke.

11. Bens_Dad

Bens_Dad Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2010
    You know, I'd never noticed that the endings of the prequels all happen at different times of day. Good call :)

In answer to the OP, I have to say I don't have a favourite; they're all really well done.

12. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    ROTS is the best of the PT to me. But the best ending is TPM. I assume that is what is meant by a 'montage' - as I have never used the term before. But yeah, if you mean montage in terms of how the shots/scenes are pasted, then I like TPM. Palpatine is at his most covert sinister-ousness and the kid was outstanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.