main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Favorite PT quotes?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Allana_Rey, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    "Move against the Jedi first. You will then have no difficulty taking the queen back to Naboo to sign the treaty."
    "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."
    "You have been well trained, my young apprentice. They will be no match for you."

"Ever make your way as far into the interior as Coruscant?"
    "Once or twice."
    "Recently."
    "Possibly."

"It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself."
    "Is it possible to learn this power?"
    "Not from a Jedi."

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself."
    I always thought this line hilarious in that the only thing missing was the "MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" afterwards.

3. MasterCece

MasterCece Jedi Master

May 30, 2006
    Absolutely. ;)

Darkslayer and WatTamborWoo like this.
  4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    "Ah, victory!" and "Your focus determines your reality" -- both from TPM -- are two of my favourites for different reasons.

I like quoting the former from time-to-time (it's appropriately goofy), while the latter is such a devastating moment of cogency from Lucas in the writing stakes that he might almost seem to rival Albert Einstein or Lao Tzu for brilliant, distilled wisdom.

Ah ... this saga. [face_hypnotized]

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I've done it again -- hit "Post Reply" far too early.

This is meant to be a fun thread, so I thought I'd add some more.

"Tell them we wish to board at once." The simmering contempt faintly cloaked in this line, and the many layers of hostile thought and reckless impatience ironically possessed, or possessing, Qui-Gon and the Jedi Order, maverick though he may be, that he and this line represents, is quite stunning.

"As you know, our blockade is perfectly legal." Yeah, so it's like the very next line (practically), but I'm including it because it starts the saga on (deliberately) something of a bum note: this all comes down to stalling, obfuscation, double-talk, bending the system to your purposes ... an abuse and a perfect demonstration of the beautiful (if chilling) facility of language at once.

"What's this?"
    "A local."
    Some classic Lucasian dry humour there.

"You were banished because you were clumsy?" I love Obi-Wan's incredulity here. So much to learn has he. Banishment through being clumsy is, perhaps, the sole cause-and-effect outcome of human agency -- and its perception of gods -- in this world. Lucas sows an epic allegory for the Jedi here and all the players of this galactic saga: they're not so much stupid or malign as simply cack-handed, inept.

"Wouldn't have lasted this long if I wasn't so good at building things." I love the throwaway nature of this line -- yet it says so much about Anakin and his despondent core.

"Don't look back." Three simple words. Easy to hear; hard to follow. Wonderfully poetic -- and loaded, as ever, with irony.

"And now they will elect a new Chancellor, a strong Chancellor..." An amazingly sinister line.

"Quiet as a tomb." This line is rather macabre considering who Anakin is guarding and why. It also tells you much about his inner life / view of the world: this guy, in his own way, rather like Han, prefers action to contemplation and solitude. Oh, the implications...

"Besides, your senses aren't that attuned, my young apprentice."
    "And yours are?"
    "Possibly."
    Hilarious -- especially for Ewan's/Obi-Wan's delayed retort. And that accent!

"If it works." This is an argument for utilitarianism, not fascism, as so many fans have incorrectly deemed it. And it's a frustration that almost everyone has where politics are concerned. And I love how this could basically be Anakin's mantra.

"Jedi don't have nightmares." Another terrific line hinting at the layers and layers of violent denial that have Anakin in their death grip.

"I'm a man of my word, Viceroy." When they gave this line (minus "Viceroy") to Heath Ledger in TDK, he hammed it up. Christopher Lee is so bad-ass he doesn't need to do anything but play it totally straight. One of the most delightfully po-faced deliveries of irony in the whole saga.

"It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling. I love democracy, I love the Republic." I've said it before -- that's bloody Shakespearean in its grandeur.

"I'm scrap!" You can substitute a much ruder (several much ruder) words here. Of all of Threepio's "trash" lines in AOTC, this is the one I love the most.

"You have interfered in our affairs for the last time." Can't remember if it's "in" or "with" right now, but prepositions be damned -- it's a deliciously malevolent line. A single line at the right moment can take on such a gloriously trash-talking, baroque quality. This, for me, is Exhibit A.

"Did you press the 'stop' button?"
    "No."
    "Did you?"
    "No."
    Again, some very nice humour here.

"There's no war here. Unless you've brought it with you." Now, see, I like the way that Obi-Wan and Tion Medon seem to be speaking in a slight code here, in order to fool the droids watching from a distance (and any snitches, I suppose). Quite well-humoured, in a way, too.

"Because the Council did not trust you, my young apprentice, I believe you are the only Jedi with no knowledge of this plot." So, it's actually quite a starchy line, but I LOVE the slow-burn evil of it, and the perfect delivery (along with Johnny Williams' musical backing) by Ian McDiarmid. Palpatine/Sidious is getting his groove back here and returning to a more subtle manipulation of Anakin; I like how this line embodies the effortless return of that more discreet, quietly-conniving mentor.

"From the Sith?"
    "From himself."
    The "self" is the real threat in Star Wars -- if anything is ever real, that is.
    Beautiful delivery, again (it's often in the delivery), by Ewan, too.

"Don't you see? We don't have to run anymore!" That whole spiel from Anakin about ruling the galaxy together is quite heartbreaking. Little boy lost.

"I will do what I must."
    So grim and on-target. And then:
    "You will try."
    Surprisingly serpentine and cocky from an Anakin who, a moment ago, was almost bawling at Obi-Wan. Love the rebuff. And, of course, the exchange is a play on Yoda's "Do or do not, there is no try" speech to Luke, as well.

And that's still just the tip of a large iceberg in a very big pool.

StarWarsVerses, BigAl6ft6 and lbr789 like this.
  6. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    One scene that I've always liked that comes to the top of my head:

Obi-Wan: You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Site not join them. You were to bring balance to the force not leave it in darkness!
    Anakin: I HATE YOU!
    Obi-Wan: You were my brother Anakin, I loved you.

BOBA-FETT-82 likes this.
  7. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    I might add another on in here that I forgot:

"Master Yoda, you survived....."
    "Surprised?"

Love this chat. In fact the Yoda/Sid senate room scene is my favourite of the entire saga. I love Yoda's entrance, Sidious' distaste, and the ensuing fight (particularly Sidious' cackling at the end).

Darkslayer and TX-20 like this.
  8. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I forgot to add one I like very much because it's funny and so earthly.
    Hey, maybe you couldda help wit some deadbeats who owe me a lot of money...

9. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    "At an end your rule is, and not short enough was it." - Yoda to Sidious

Minez01 and TX-20 like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No....no no no YOU WILL DIE

Son of a Bith likes this.
  11. LordThanatos

LordThanatos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 18, 2013
    "Is it possible to learn this power?"

-"Not from a Jedi"

..and many many more quotes some already mentioned here.

12. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Anakin's the father, isn't he.... I'm so sorry....

TX-20 likes this.
  13. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is.

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Anything that Yoda says can be used for either a motivational or demotivational poster.

15. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Not yet mentioned, I’ve picked these for their various charms: pulp, poignancy, personality, phonetics.

"Everything’s overheated!"

"Good call, my young Padawan!"

"Daahd, Ah-think weben tracked!" -- "Get ‘em, Dahd! Fye-ah!"

"You die in childbirth." -- "And the baby?"

"Dis-en gonna be messy. Me no watchin!"

"Jedi business. Go back to your drinks."

"Activate ray shields!"

"You stupid little astrodroid."

"Depends on what, Dex?" -- "On how good your manners are. How big your...pocket book is. Heh-heh-heh-heh."

"So uncivilized."

"Sir ...they’ve gone up the venta-layshun-shaft!"

"She can’t do that! Shoot her!..or..something."

"Hey, maybe you can help with some deadbeats who owe me a lotta money."

"Gungans no dyin without a fight. Wesa warriors. Wesa gotta grand army. That’s why you no liken us, mesa thinks."

"We’ll handle this."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Derek4799

Derek4799 Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2013
    No no, You have lost!!

17. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    You have been well trained my apprentice. You will be no match for them.

18. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

"You were the chosen one!"

19. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

"I am the senate!"

20. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    This party's over.

21. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Your negotiations seem to have failed....

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The negotiations never took place.

23. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    You've got alot of nerve laserbrain....

24. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Not if anything to say about it, I have!
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes
    This party's over
    LIAR
    MAGNETIZE, MAGNETIZE!

25. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    I'm a moron....

Now - to correct matters....
    He's a political idealist.....