main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite Rendition Of Across The Stars

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by spacemountainranger, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacemountainranger

spacemountainranger Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    So what is it?

Mines gotta be Love Pledge/The Arena but Confrontation With Count Dooku/Finale in a close second.

2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    1. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale
    2. Love Pledge and The Arena
    3. The Meadow Picnic

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Actually, I love the one when Anakin and Padme first kiss.

How it starts off with the flutes then seigues (sp?) into the full orchestra then suddenly stops as Padme breaks off the kiss.

It's so perfect and even funny! :D

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I like segues too. ;)

Like in ROTJ at the end (Leia's News), where it segues from Luke & Leia's Theme to Han & Leia's Theme as Han learns about the siblings...

Actually, I like ATS best as they enter the arena and it builds to a crescendo.

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Actually, is it proper to refer to Love Theme from AOTC as "Across The Stars"?

Or will someone start chasing me with a large blunt object? :eek:

6. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    It is proper.

That's how it was listed on the AOTC cd in Europe. :)

7. spacemountainranger

spacemountainranger Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    now you happy??? ;)

8. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    ATS in 'The Arena' struck me as one of the film's most powerful moments...somehow for me, that version holds the most passion, tragedy, and DRAMA of them all. That pan up into the crowd with ATS blaring will always remain my favorite music/visual shot --and I can barely even begin to explain why.

After that, I'd say 'The Meadow Picnic' (loved that Sound of Music-ish swell there), and, of course, 'Confrontation with Count Dooku'. I also really like the tentative version of ATS that first shows up in the film (Anakin complains to Amidala about Obi-Wan, they argue over whether he is grown up or not);it's not part of the Sony release and I've never bothered to look up its name, but in my opinion it's a lovely little musical moment. :)

9. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I prefer the rendition in Confrontation with Count Dooku, played during the wedding, because it is heightened by the Imperial March just before it, and is the most despairing of all.

10. JAMMINITUP

JAMMINITUP Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    I actually prefer the part when Anakin and Padme arrive at Naboo, just after Yoda says to Obi wan "but who, and why...meditate on this, I will..."

11. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    Ooohh...I forgot about that one. Yes, that particular rendition also sticks out as a fave. I love that whole shot...gorgeous, gorgeous stuff...

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    JAM, ditto, I really love that piece! :)

13. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    My two favorites would have to be the love pledge and the wedding. :D

14. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, I think it's got to be the end, where the Imperial March mixes into Across the Stars... sent chills down my spine :D

15. _Padme_

_Padme_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    Same here. The wedding and the arena... it makes me feel a chill in my spine :D... or it fills my eyes of tears :_|
    :p

16. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    I kinda like it on piano and harpsichord in the credits (CD).

17. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I love the rendition that appears in both the track "Across The Stars" as well as the end credits, when it's in xylo/vibes/glock (I can't really tell). And aside from that, the opening twenty seconds or so of the "Love Pledge/The Arena" track would be the next rendition I'd name. I love the brief cello line beneath it that adds so much texture and melancholy.

18. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    I love the Arena version because it reminds me of the way Han & Leia's theme crescendos in the carbon freeze sequence. Both themes build and build, and then suddenly they're twisted into something that's not romantic or sweeping at all, but rather dark and even scary. :D Also how the first kiss music gets cut off - that reminded me of a Han/Leia moment as well, and as you may have noticed I just love looking for parallels. Another favorite, of course, is the desperate, tragic wedding cue coming right out of the Imperial March. Really, I love every one of the theme's incarnations. :)

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    OK let's clarify:

Across the Stars is the name given to the love theme so we can call it something. For some reason, Sony removed the title Across the Stars from the U.S. CDs but not the CDs elsewhere.

Across the Stars IS the love theme. That is the easiest thing to call it so everyone knows what we are talking out.

Anyone else feel deja vu? :D

20. ouchbox

ouchbox Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Hey guys.

I really love the arrangement of Across the Stars in "Love Pledge".

It's mostly the quick changes of instruments in that cue that I like. There's a lot of variety on that one theme in a minute and a half of play-time.

When the music gets quiet and Ani and Padme kiss; with tremolo strings underlaying the harpsichord, flute and french horn, I think the love theme reaches its perfect arrangement.

I noticed striking similarities in composition and instrument choice in the love theme from Zefferelli's Romeo and Juliet.

I'd bet dollars-to-donuts that Williams got some inspiration from that movie and theme. Check out that version of Romeo and Juliet if you haven't, many people consider it the best version ever made. :)

21. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    I like it near the end of COunt Dooku and Finale when it does it in ful orchestra with the cymbals...John Williams is a genius...I've said this before and I'll say it again that SAcross the Stars is thoe only piece in the whole world that can me cry be litening to it beside's Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake.

22. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    I think it's the most powerful during the love pledge

Also, during the finale it's AMAZING. The changeover from the emperor's theme to the love theme is so well done. Not only does it sound good, but it has infinite levels of symbolism.

23. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    Do you mean Imperial March?

24. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah there's no Emperor's theme that leads into ATS...

25. ratherkissawookie

ratherkissawookie Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2002
    Got to be the the last track (sorry, don't have the name memorized) followed extremely closely by the arena version. I get chills when I listen to any version of it. It's so haunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.