main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Favorite Season of Star Wars The Clone Wars now?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by kryptonjedi, Feb 14, 2013.

?

Favorite Season of the Clone Wars

1. Season One

2. Season Two

3. Season Three

4. Season Four

5. Season Five

6. Season Six

7. Season Seven

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kryptonjedi

kryptonjedi Jedi Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    I made a similar thread last year and now that we finally have season six, I thought now would good be a good time to put up another one since the show is now complete.

After seeing the final season I personally would still place Season 4 as my favorite season since I felt it had most entertaining arcs in a season.

I would rank the entire series as this

Season 4 > Season 2 > Season 6 > Season 3 > Season 5 > Season 1

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't see a reason to create an entire new thread for the now with just season 5 being new. Reopened this and merged. New to this thread is the poll however.

3. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Oooo this is a toughy.

Season 5 > Season 4 > Season 2 > Season 3 > Season 6 > Season 1.

There was only one arc in Season 5 that I didn't like (droids) and in Season 4 I didn't like at least 2 arcs and though Season 2 is the most consistent I find myself rewatching the better episodes of S5 and S4 more often. Season 3 has a bad first half which brings it down and Season 6 has Jar Jar in it, and though I enjoyed the Clovis arc, the season isn't strong enough to beat past S5, S4 or S2 or S3. Season 1... is a good start to a great series but that is my least favourite.

4. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Season 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    4-2-1-6-3-5

One and six are pretty close and could probably be flipped around.

6. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    4=2 > 6=3 > 1 > 5

I know it's petty, but I can't put season 1 any higher on this list in good conscience because of the freaking battle droid humor. It haunts me.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, I totally understand. I just can't rank 3 higher than 1 because of Assassin, Citadel and Mortis. The Nightsisters saved season 3 for me.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's a real close tie between 6 and 4. S6 is where the TCW team really let loose with all their creative capabilities, hoping to go out on the highest note possible. And frankly they succeeded. However, S4 is the collective storytelling height of the series, and has the advantage of getting a full run. Really too tough to call.

Then comes S2, since it had a pretty concentrated amount of awesome. While 5 had what I consider one of the best individual arcs of the series, the rest isn't spectacular enough to elevate it too high, so it comes in next. I also wasn't big on every arc being 4-parters, which is another reason I rank S2 above it, if only for variety. Then S3, which was half amazing half theworsttelevisionprogrammingever. Then S1 in last. Besides Ryloth and the finale, it was the training wheels season for TCW.

Seerow and 07jonesj like this.
  9. CT-5555

CT-5555 Jedi Padawan

Mar 13, 2014
    Just finished the whole series, so my opinion could probably change in the coming days, but at this time...

So in order from best to worst; 4, 5, 2, 6, 3, 1.

Season Four had Umbara, Obi-Wan Undercover, and Darth Maul's Return, which are three of my favorite arcs on the show. 5 had two okay arcs, a really really terrible arc, and then two of the show's best. 2, while it didn't have any arcs that outright amazed me, it was easily the most consistent season of the show. Not one episode was terrible, there were some that were just okay, but none that really stank. Season 6 had the Order 66 Arc, and that's all it needed, because that arc alone made the season. Yoda's Arc was cool too, but I felt like the Fives arc worked better for me. Season 3 had a terrible first half (besides the two opening episodes), and then just a decent second half. I know the Nightsisters Arc is heavily acclaimed, but it just didn't strike a chord with me. I did enjoy the final battle in Witches in the Mist though. The Mortis Trilogy was interesting and unique, and I'm glad I watched it, but it didn't amaze me. The Citadel Arc was entertaining, and I like seeing Tarkin. Season 3 ended on a high point though, I loved the Chewbacca stuff. And....season 1. Of which I only liked "Ambush", "Rookies", "Cloak of Darkness", "Lair of Grevious", The Ryloth arc, and Hostage Crisis. The rest is throwaway.

Season 4 has more great arcs, so it reigns number one, even though 5 has my favorite arc in the show.

10. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Season 4 is the season that almost never disappointed me. With the exception of the last few minutes of the Rako Hardeen arc, I loved every moment of every episode, and yes that includes Shadow Warrior and the droid duology. Season Six would probably be my new favorite if the bounty hunter and Maul arcs were included, but alas...

With that said, my current order for favorite seasons is:

1. Four
    2. Six
    3. Five
    4. Three
    5. Two
    6. One

11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I will forever be most fond of the first season. I ignored the show until during the second season and went back to start from the beginning, discovering that I liked it. It helped fuel a renewed post-Prequels Star Wars interest.

12. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Seasons 5 and 6 might be even for me now, since they have my top favorite arcs (Mauldalore and Yoda).

13. kryptonjedi

kryptonjedi Jedi Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    One thing I would have to agree on is that out of all the seasons IMO season 2 is the only one that doesn't have any outright bad arcs or episodes. One thing the series really needed was more of that type of consistent quality.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Well since season 5 has been over for a long time. Thought I'd come back and rank it, actually decided to update the ranks.

My favorite season is season 2. Its got a great mix of campy nostalgia, some good story telling, and took some major risks. Cad Bane, one of my favorite TCW bad guys is truly introduced. "Landing at Point Rain" and the episodes that follow were the first four part arc, possibly five parts. It digs into clones' humanity by introducing my favorite character in Cut Lawquane. Zillobeast puts the Jedi in a tight spot and goes great work with Palpatine. Satine, Mandalore, and Deathwatch are introduced in one of my favorite arcs.

My next favorite is season 4. This is a major turning point in TCW's tone and direction since it moves away from being like a cheesy 90 kids show with an awful lot in common with Power Rangers to being so much more dark and complex. Stories like Umbara, Slaves of the Republic, the Rako Hardeen arc, the massacre on Dathomir, and Maul's return... especially the Rako Hardeen arc break TCW out of the monster of the day and everything turns out perfectly fine cycle. There are lasting consequences and the first sign on arcs being connected to one another.

The Lost Missions takes third place. Both the Order 66 arc and the Yoda arc that end the show represent the best storytelling in the series. The unlikely combination of Jar Jar and Mice works like Agent K and Agent. But its held back by being to short and the boring Clovis arc taking up three episode. Its not the worst, like 3 time better than Onderon but still wasn't worth the wait. All these arcs still represent the best linear storytelling in the series.

Season 5 is my forth choice. TCW gets alot more linear, has some great call backs, and otherwise terrible episodes are redeemed by carrying significant relevance in both the Mauldalorian arc and the season finale which are both epic arcs. However the Onderon arc is just terrible only really topped much as I hate to say it by the D-squad arc which had a decent middle but was made a total waste of time thanks to the MacGuffin flashdrive stealing plot. I'm just not a fan of the Youngling arc which is to long, has a weak ending, and I didn't like most of the Younglings.

Season 3 is my second to the last favorite. The season starts with clones, and by now you guys know I like that. Gives me the highly underated Ima-Gun-Di who along with Captain Keeli have a hell of a last stand. Then it goes through a long spell of boring and weak episodes. I tend to find Mortis just to philosophical although I've learned to appreciate it more than I used to. The Citadel Arc is neither the best nor worst arc.Good season finale. The season just doesn't have alot of rewatch value. Its main contribution was the beginning of TCW getting darker.

In last place is the first season. Don't get me wrong, its got some classics in it like Rookies, Jedi Crash, Mystery of 1000 Moons (Yeah I went there), and Trespass. Innocence of Ryloth is perhaps the most iconic episode of the series IMO.The more diverse cast and getting to know secondary Jedi like Plo Koon, Luminara, Aayla, and MAce was fun. But mostly its just the pinnacle of campy, goofy, cheesy fun with little direction

Honorable mentions, the crappy movie which is kinda fun during the parts on Christophsis and introduces Rex from the get go as a badass. Its all down hill in the second half.

My order: 2, 4, 6, 5, 3, 1, Movie

And yeah, my favorite lists are always contradictions. My favorite episode is in season 2 but I rarely watch "Grievous Intrigue" which forms an arc with it. My favorite arc is actually in season 4. And yes I know Umbara isn't the best anymore but its still my favorite. I have no problem admitting that story telling wise Rako Hardeen, Mauldalore, Ahsoka Fugitive, Order 66, and Yoda arcs all surpass it.

15. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Voted for season 5 as tops

Season 5, for me, wins for a few different reasons. First it has my top favorite arc of the series (the younglings arc), and also strong contenders such as the Darth Maul Arc and the Ahsoka arc. The only real failure was the droids arc, the only part of which that worked for me was "A Sunny Day in the Void" only because of the philosophical concepts it covered. The younglings, maul, and ahsoka arcs, though, are top draws for me this season.

The remainder ranked in descending order:

Season 2.
    I like to call this the fun season. Having gotten past Season One (which is almost never a smooth ride for any series (ie ST:TNG)), they now had their footing and went for a lot of fun, easy to follow stories. My second favorite arc (Geonosis) is found here along with a number of smaller arcs and standalones, most of which I could watch all day, including "Bounty Hunters", the boba fett arc, and the opening Cad Bane arc. They were interesting stories that weren't too serious or too funny. Definitely episodes worthy of being part of Star Wars.

Season 3.
    Ah the 50/50 season. Split right down the middle, the first half of 11 episodes that fell somewhere between mildly entertaining and mediocre, made up for by the second half of dark, dangerous and philosophical arcs. A few episodes from the first half did work for me, including "Sphere of Influence", mainly for the Baron and his family, "Assassin", mainly for the "mother/daughter" chat between Ahsoka and Padme, and "Heroes on Both Sides" for finally presenting the separatists as normal people with legitimate grievances. The Nightsisters arc and the Mortis Arc round out the reasons I enjoy this season, the former for presenting an amazingly intriguing new (to me) group of people I couldn't get enough of, and the latter for diving headlong into the mysteries of the force and forcing the viewer to draw their own conclusions as to what they just watched.

Season 6.
    Ah the 50/uhm...ok, the half season. I enjoyed every arc in this season, so you might think it'd be higher, but then there's rewatch value. Gripping though it was, I'm not sure I'd care to watch the Order 66 arc very often if at all, mainly because of the ending. I knew it had to end that way, it was the only way it could end, and it was very moving, certainly. I'm fine with that. Really. But I'm not usually very big on sad endings. Makes me wonder why I watch GoT. Actually I know why I watch GoT. Tyrion's f-ing awesome! Moving on, the other arcs were decent, and of all of them, the Clovis arc and the bardotta arc will probably be the ones I rewatch most often. I suppose this could almost be tied with Season 3, but it's just slightly behind for me.

Season 1.
    Ah the beginning. Not the best episodes, a whole lot of trial and error and a bunch of two parters marks this as the season where they were still finding their footing to see what worked and what didn't. Most series go through this. Rebels, more than likely, will as well. Blockbuster first seasons are the EXCEPTION, not the rule. Even so there was lots of fun to be had here. The Malevolence arc was the major highlight of the season for me, followed by The Blue Shadow Virus arc, "Cloak of Darkness", and of course TCW's send up of Die Hard, "Hostage Crisis". Every copy of "The Gungan General" however can burn in a chemical fire.

Season 4.
    This is probably the box set that collects the most dust on my shelf. Favorites from this seasons include single episodes such as "A Friend in Need", "Bounty" and "Revenge". Arcs such as the Mon Cala arc, the slavery arc, and bounty hunter arc, have their entertainment value, but overall the season as a whole was...well...too dark. I know they wanted to go for that, and I'm all for that, but I think they laid it on just a little too thick. The Krell arc was good for what it was, but there's no re-watch value for me there at all. They tried to have 'fun' episodes like the droid arc, because R2 accidentally crushing a sentient being and going 'oops' is supposedly hilarious, but they really didn't work all that well for me.

16. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    My faves :

But it's hard to choose.

The second half of 3 is stand out.

17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Really? I love season one of TNG because it shows the exploration of new worlds and cultures which resembles the original series and later TNG seasons unfortunately get away from.

18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009

Season 2 is by far my favorite. An actually threatening Grievous? Space Zombies? Battle of Not!Normandy Geonosis? Hell yes. However, I found the ending to be terrible. You don't get to blow up Slave 1 like that.

Season 1 I place higher because it was trying to emulate the feel of the Genndy series, with numerous one off episodes featuring different characters, like Kit Fisto or Mace Windu in leading roles rather than supporting ones. Even with the occasional bad Jar Jar episode, I really enjoyed the sheer variety, something which I felt was lacking from later seasons.

Season 4 has some really good arcs actually related to the CLONE WARS, but it also has some boring ones. It just sits in the middle for me. Umbara great, Jaws reference great, Hardeen and Maul? Blegh.

Season 3 has a terrible first half. Two decent episodes before everything came to a grinding halt to shove Ahsoka down our throats. The second half after the model updates is much improved, and it has my favorite season finale with the Trandoshan episodes. I'm a sucker for Republic Commando, so it worked for me.

Season 5 can go die in a fire.

I'm leaving The Lost Episodes out of my list because there aren't really enough of them to justify me calling it a whole season, and without the wait times between airings (thanks to Netflix), I really didn't have a lot of time to stew on the episodes. The Clone arc was underwhelming, with a good opening that swiftly petered out. The Rush Clovis arc was incredibly dull, and I was never a fan of his first episode. However, I will give it props for finally giving us another extended space combat scene, with Z-95 Headhunters no less.

The Bardotta episodes were actually my favorite. Turns out that Jar Jar can be an entertaining character when you pair him with the right person. Mace has absolutely no patience for Jar Jar, and playing the straightest straight man against that bumbling fool was a stroke of genius. Also, a good use of a side villain with the Mother, and plenty of Indiana Jones references sold this one for me. Light, fun and a satisfying conclusion.

The Yoda arc was a massive letdown. If it wasn't cribbing visuals and character motifs from other movies, it was boring into my skull with the return of those goddamn midichlorians. The Sifo Dyas episode was alright, but most of the stuff after that was a mixture of great individual scenes shuffled in between a poor plot and plenty of bad stuff.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    1. Season 4: Season 4 had some not so great episodes but there are so many great arcs: Darth Maul Returns, Darkness on Umbara, Undercover. This season may have been the darkest in the series but it was brilliant.
    2. Season 3: I know most people see this around the bottom, but I loved this season a lot! There were a lot of great episodes and I absolutely adored the Mortis trilogy.
    3. Season 6: A pretty great end batch of episodes. There were some that seemed kind of pointless but in the end it was very satisfying (especially the final 4 episodes).
    4. Season 5: The Shadow Conspiracy Arc is likely the best in the series. The Fugitive Jedi Arc was excellent as well. It's a shame the Droid Arc really went nowhere.
    5. Season 2: A step-up from Season 1 with many great episodes (I actually really loved the Bounty Hunters episode - Hondo Ohnaka forever!)
    6. Season 1: The test run. Still a highly entertaining season, but is the most juvenile of the series.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Even after seeing half the series I can't say I liked any season on the whole. 3 and 5 kept my attention most anyway.

Vader'sGoodHand and Darth Dnej like this.
  21. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    So far ive only seen season 1 n 2, season 2 is the best to me so far. Season 1 was kinda all over the place with their stories.

22. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Season 4. It had the most consistently good arcs in the show followed by Season 5. It reminded me alot of the old Star Wars comics from the 90s. It just had that feel to it. It also had one of my all time favorite arcs, the Mon Cala arc. I love the Mon Calamari.

23. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Season 1 or 4

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Last time I posted in here, was in the middle of season 5. I voted season 2. Where do I rank these now that its all over? As I go through everything connecting the dots here is how my vote has changed now.

1. Season 4 FTW! The season that was the game changer. Started slow because of the Dac arc which is far from the worst and 'Mercy Mission' was a good episode to come before the feels TCW began to serve up after the droid stuff was over. We had Umbara which finally developed Rex past where he was in 'The Deserter' and was just an incredible arc. What can I say? I loved the clones in TCW. Waxer's death may have been the most emotional thing in the series for me. Then 'Slave of the Republic' which brought down questions about who was serving who. The Rako Hardeen arc is not just on of my favorites but I believe a series bench mark with its incredible complexity, the best utilization of Palpatine in the entire series IMO, and fully breaking away from the monster of the day thing TCW had going on. There are no reset buttons in season 4 and certainly none in the Rako Hardeen arc. I admit I had a soft spot for Lux and the finale wasn't bad with a Massacre, the fun ride that is 'Bounty', and there was an actual cliff hanger.

2. Season 2 now in 2nd. Great season premier that was Cad Bane's second big outing and far less random than his first appearance. The most notable thing in this season for me is 'The Deserter' which remains my favorite episode of TCW while Cut Lawquane remains my favorite character in TCW. Rex's independence and more important his ability to think of questions which is what sets him farthest apart from other clones has already been hinted at but this is where Rex first really starts to develope challenged by the deserter. Its sets the precedence for Rex's commitment to all his brothers and also seems to imply who his own family is, his surrogate son Fives takes this stuff to another level later. That's not all season 2 has to offer. Its got Grievous seeming a little intimidating for 30 seconds. The epic Geonosis arc. The retroactive foreshadowing in 'Brain Invaders'. Season 2 introduced Satine and Deathwatch in another of my favorite arcs in the series 'Duchess of Mandalore' was the first time I experienced anything close to a thriller in TCW worried if Satine would make it out of the episode alive. Cat and Mouse has Anakin and Yularen The Zillobeast actually has feels in it and the finale atleast has Aura Sing but not much else going for it.

3. I'm torn on which season should rank next but I think the Season 6/ Bonus Content ranks above. The Order 66 arc is heartbreaking and raw. I knew it was coming and knew Rex's surrogate son was doomed all along but holy hell. The Bardotta arc was actually alot of fun. Mother Talzin vs Mace Windu was a unique idea and not just another boring duel any duel using a movie character pretty much is. The Yoda arc brought me the first cool space object in the series at its end, a Wolf Rayet star although much of the arc probably went over my head. The Clovis arc was not worth the wait and Anakin beating the crap out of Clovis turned out to be alot more than I bargained for. I wonder if the Utapau arc can go here as bonus content although incomplete. It about supersedes the Rako Hardeen arc as the series benchmark. I hope its completed someday.

4. Season 5, Now I think the Young Jedi arc is a little overrated although its still fun to watch and hate the Onderon arc more than anything TCW has even done. But believe it or not the D-Squad arc factors toward my decision because I love 'A Sunny Day in the Void'. I think the anime Casshern Sins had a big impact on the way I looked at the episode. Casshern Sins is about the fear of mortality and wades deep into existential philosophy using robots which is exactly what 'A Sunny Day in the Void' does with Gaston going insane feeling he'll die of dehydration (he is a freaking frog!) and none of the droids are able to understand. That's because they are immortal. That's just awesome. Then its got Gregor who is the anti version of Cut Lawquane which was great to see. If only the D-Squad arc had not waste everyones time at the end by throwing away a MacGuffin on an epic explosion. But without a doubt the highlights of the season are the Maul on Mandalore arc where Maul proved himself to be the unlikely villain TCW always needed. The arc is filled with action, great questions, and feels. Sids literally kicks ass. Then the season finale. Both these arcs drag episodes some season 2 and even the worst from season 3 I thought were cast offs kicking and screaming into importance which is why I'll never tell anybody to skip an episode of TCW.

5. So now I've come to Season 3. Folks on this board should be able to guess what my favorite season premier is. ARC Troopers is awesome. I also liked the parts of of Supply Lines that deal with Ryloth. I don't care what anyone says. Ima-gun-di and Captain Keeli's last stand was epic. Gun-di you were a great Jedi, I salute to you sir. After that there isn't much to say about the season. 'Heroes on Both Sides' got destroyed by Onderon which is one of the things driving my hatred for that arc. Hunt for Ziro has the most meaningful interaction between Obi-wan and Cody in just two lines of dialogue. Dark Lord Tarkas has helped me to appreciate the arc Mortis. But it and the Citadel arc have their ups and downs. The Trandoshan arc is quite good though. I remember when I thought that arc was the animation highlight of TCW.

6. Season 1 is again in last place. Don't get me wrong. Its got some good episodes like Rookies, Cloak of Darkness, Lair of Grievous, Jedi Crash, Trespass, The Hidden Enemy, and Innocents of Ryloth (The feels!). But its also repetitive with copy and paste storylines and relies on monsters of the day. Its full of campy, goofy, delicious 90s after school cartoon cheese which is honestly why I fell in love with TCW in the first place but it evolved into so much more as the series progressed. Into what I think is one of the best Western action cartoons out there.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If we're including the Utapau arc in S6 then that'd easily be the tiebreaker between S6 and S4 as alluded to in my previous post. Add in Son of Dathomir and it's not even a fair fight anymore. :p

cwustudent likes this.