main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite space battle?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 19, 2013.

?

Best space battle in the saga?

1. Battle of Yavin (A New Hope)

23.7%
  2. Hoth Asteroid Field Chase (The Empire Strikes Back)

6.1%
  3. Battle Of Endor (Return Of The Jedi)

49.1%
  4. Battle Of Naboo (The Phantom Menace)

1.8%
  5. Battle Over Coruscant (Revenge Of The Sith)

38.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Battle of Coruscant.

Absolutely breathtaking. It is so engrossing, so intense. The use of the camera is fantastic, it's almost overwhelming. Those are a powerful few minutes, but it feels so captivating I think if it lasted longer it may have drained me. But I adore it.

2. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I went with the Original. The battle of Yavin!

^:)^

3. Nightvision91

Nightvision91 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2013
    For me it is The battle of Endor. Just the scope of that entire battle. I can't even imagine what it would have been like being a pilot during that.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Battle of Yavin for the soundtrack (so many good moments), the emotion (I can feel the goosebumps), the lines (so quotable), just so much fun.
    The Battle of Endor for the scope, so many starfighters and capital ships, the emotions again, the quotes, the music, all of it.

CaptainHamYoyo and Sarge like this.
  5. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I was gonna say Coruscant or Endor until I saw the asteroid chase was an option.

Coruscant has focus over scope and Endor has scope over focus. But I say Asteroid chase all the way! That whole scene feels like a rollercoaster.

Darth Ridiculis likes this.
  6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Had to go with the original. Hard to go past the trench run.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Endor for sheer visual awesomeness added on to meaningful story elements, effective tactics that we can see playing out, strategems and dirty tricks.

Yavin for suspense and story. I think it also benefits from being inspired by a real WW2 battle, made into the movie The Dambusters. If you haven't seen that, you need to. And you're sure to recognize some of the dialog; GL wasn't averse to stealing good lines.

Like others have said, Coruscant was just a mess, visually. Nothing but a lot of ships shooting at each other with no apparent plans or tactics.

8. Shadow_imperium

Shadow_imperium Jedi Master

May 14, 2004
    I seem to be of the same mind as the majority of the voters. Endor.

Although I love Yavin for it's suspense, score and action, Endor just beats it in my eyes. Endor's scale in terms of action and character(s) in unparalleled. As many have said before me, the on the fly strategy, is wonderfully used. Body language and dialog force you to care about whats being played out in front of you; when the executor goes "down" Ackbar's reaction is heart gripping, where else can a giant fish in a white uniform make you feel bad about the lives lost to accomplish what's been done. I'll admit the switching between the three stories/battles is a bit annoying at times, but overall it doesn't distract to the point of confusion.

Quick run down of the others..why not"
    ESB Asteroids: Gripping, fun and suspenseful, but again scale isn't the same.
    Naboo/Droid Control Ship: Who cares? That was my feeling during it. You had pilots who had all of 5 lines of dialog, 7 if you include "Yeah!" and "Yeeeheeehee", a kid who was trying not to get killed, and a victory that should have included the WHOMP WHOMP WHOMMMMP noise. Similar issues in ROTJ with switching to different scenes, this time technically 4; with one that becomes the central focus..........the duel we all knew I was going to say it.
    Coruscant: Watching this at the theater that first glimpse of the battle as Anakin and Obi-Wan cleared the star destroyer I was geared up and thrilled...which didn't last long. A big mess fits, I know real battles are confusing and fast paced, this is a story, we need the narrative of what the heck is happening. Really the reason I don't think much of it is it doesn't go anywhere, it's just an obstacle course for our heroes to go through to get to their destination then becomes a background scene. It suffers from being at the very beginning of the movie, there's no big climax, it doesn't end, the main characters just leave it.

vinsanity, Sarge and Samuel Vimes like this.
  9. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The Battle of the Death Star II vs the Rebel Fleet!

To this day I still get goosebumps while watching it.

10. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    The Original SW is still the best, IMO, simply because Lucas does a good job of introducing many rebel pilots, so it puts a face on them when they shot down by the empire. The tension when Luke is on the trench run with Vader tailing him is some of the best stuff of the 6 movies, and of course everyone was suprised when Han came to save the day when you first see it. ROTJ battle may have more flash and action, but give me raw emotion & drama anyday with the Original SW battle.

DarthDuckie and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  11. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    I voted for the Battle of Yavin IV, and the Battle of Coruscant.

Of the two, I think I like the Yavin battle more. There are more awesome characters in that space battle than in any other. I find it the most suspenseful. I felt like I was right there with the y-wing pilots! and for some reason, I was made to care about them more than any of the side characters piloting in other battles. and it is the only time you get to see Darth Vader pilot a fighter into battle, which I find somewhat cooler than Anakin piloting into battle.

DarthDuckie, Sarge and Carbon1985 like this.
  12. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    While the scope and visuals of Endor were better than Yavin, I'm always just waiting to get back to the Emperor's throne room. With Yavin, the space battle was the only battle, and Luke was the main focus in it. With Endor and Naboo, the space battle was shared with a lightsaber duel and ground battle(and the duels were the most exciting part, IMO). And like others have said, the Battle of Yavin had the best musical score.

The asteroid chase in Empire is my 2nd favorite.

DarthDuckie likes this.
  13. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Vader chasing down rebels in the trenches on the Death Star.

“I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.” – Jango Fett

14. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Between the OT space battles, Endor hands down. The buildup to it and the knowledge that this was the final battle in the movies, concurrent with the ground battle and lightsaber duel, made it an epic like no other. It made me love the pilots of Star Wars moreso than the Jedi.

For the PT, I'd have to say Coruscant. A great opener to ROTS and the last movie to the prequels.

15. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    ...Not much love for the Asteroid Chase? In my opinion it's the most spectacular special effects sequence ever put together with shoes and potatoes.

16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

The shoe was ROTJ.:p

17. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    Where the eff is there a shoe in RotJ?

I swear there are shoes in them thar asteroids.

18. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    You're quite right - a quick Google search does confirm that a tennis shoe has been located in the asteroid chase:

[​IMG]

(Potatoes were used as cheap, easy 'asteroids', i.e. not as a joke)

Regarding ROTJ:

19. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    best major space battle for looks my favourite is Coruscant, for traditional dogfighting ANH just beats out ROTJ. Tho i think my favourite the pursuit of the falcon in ESB, never has silver and grey looked so vibrant and the Falcons swandive with the TIE's plummeting down after it is one of my fave SW moments ever!

20. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I liked the Battle of Endor the best because it is the only time in the saga that you get to see the Rebel Capital Ships in action, and it actually felt like a proper final battle, unlike the stupid Ewok "battle" scenes.

21. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    really dont mind Ewoks, remember these are family films primarily, my kids love the Ewoks!

22. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    The Ewoks are the most horrific aliens in Star Wars. They have a hankering for human flesh,( as shown by their attempt to eat Skywalker and Co.) and have the ability to annihilate an entire garrison of the Emperor's best soldiers as well as destroy heavily armored ATSTs in one blow with a rudimentary log siege weapon. They took no prisoners and played drums on the helmets of their fallen foes, perhaps with their enemies heads still inside. That scene was no battle.. it was a massacre. I hated the battle of Endor because it did not feel like a struggle between both sides but was instead a curb stomp battle between the poor storm troopers and an unbeatable horde of terrifying ( and admittably adorable) teddy bears.
    P.S. While it seems family friendly on the surface, when you realize the implications, the Ewoks are actually the stuff of nightmares.

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    You bet your ass they are.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the Apocalypse: Endor take on them- they started out friendly, but after a bad first contact, with the Imperials shooting them, they got very nasty.

25. Krusty the Clone

Krusty the Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2013