main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite SSBM character?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Macewindu77815, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    Who's yours? :D

I like Roy and Marth. :)

2. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Luigi. The only problem is he can't stand up to speedy folks like Fox. Who's my friends character. Which means I lose alot :p

3. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Anyone can fight anyone else if you're good enough with them and know their style and flaws.

My favorite is Link.

4. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    My favorite is also link, but I also like Mario a lot.

5. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    I'm all Sheik. Well, Link a little, too, but mostly Sheik.

6. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I'm all about Ness.

His special owns all.

7. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    Ness is good if you can do his triple jump. :p

8. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Anyone can fight anyone else if you're good enough with them and know their style and flaws.

On the contrary, if your fighting a superior character or a character that is superior in one of your weaker points such as speed, then it is harder for you to accomplish the task of beating them. Example. I play as Link, no one else (there's the answer to your question) and my friend and arch nemisis plays as Shiek, who as anyone knows is a SUPER fast character, and Link is...well really slow, to say the least.

Now this is the persisting problem. I know every one of my friends moves (after playing this game 1,000+ hours you get pretty good at it) but I can't do my moves fast enough, becuase I play as a slow character. So thats my problem, other than him I beat all who stand in my way, but then again video games are his life so maybe that could have something to do with it.....

Forcebewitya!

9. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    That could be it. Because any character can beat any character. It's how you use him or her. Each character has advantages and disadvantages. Sheik is very fast. But Link has it's advantages over her.

I use Ness, for example. I own with him. And his moves are not very quick or as versatile as other characters. But used well, they pack a mean as hell punch.

10. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    I don't know about that. I've consistently beaten 3 very fast computer opponents set on difficulty level 9, including Fox, Captain Falcon, and Sheik, among others, all with Link.

I'm just that damn good with him.

Link's also my best character in Soul Calibur II, and in the original SSB.

11. jedi_swiss

jedi_swiss Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2003
    Fox is awesome in general, but he has two incredible moves: his reflecting shield, and his up-smash wheel kick. The wheel kick can kill an opponent in 5 hits, without charging it up. I'm unstoppable as Fox

12. Nibelheim

Nibelheim Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2003
    I don't know about that. I've consistently beaten 3 very fast computer opponents set on difficulty level 9, including Fox, Captain Falcon, and Sheik, among others, all with Link.

Um...Yeah. Most noobies can do something at that level. Just about every one I know can do just that. Just because they are the hardest level in multiplayer against the computer, doesn't mean a dang thing. If you are really that good, you should know by now that almost everyone that has a brain is harder than level 9s. So, your point is void as far as I'm concerned. If you think that's some great accomplishment, you are wrong.

Fox is awesome in general, but he has two incredible moves: his reflecting shield, and his up-smash wheel kick. The wheel kick can kill an opponent in 5 hits, without charging it up. I'm unstoppable as Fox

BTW: You only stated the characters actual attributes and mentioned nothing of your apperant "skill". Thus, I have come to the conclusion that you can only achieve this through using cheap tactics, if at all.

13. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Yes three level nines are quite easy for a seasoned Melee verteran.

Forcebewitya!

14. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    Using a characters moves well is not cheap....for example using ness's pk thunder a lot is not cheap but using fox's up smash is cheap?

15. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    No such thing as a cheap move.

The moves are there for a reason and are an integral part of the game.

Only people who say they are cheap are those that let themselves be taken by them. Every move can be countered or avoided if you know how.

The guy talked about the characters moves only is because that is the reason most pick a characer. They like their move set and how a character plays.

And this is what this thread is about. Now about how much "skill" one has. But one's favorite character and so on.

No such thing as cheap.

The only thing I would consider cheap is a glitch or the use of a glitch in game because it's something that's not supposed to be there.

16. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
  17. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Using a characters moves well is not cheap....for example using ness's pk thunder a lot is not cheap but using fox's up smash is cheap?

I don't think a move is cheap unless it is used over and over consecutivly, that is cheap, but thats the player being cheap not the game. If you only have one move in your arsenal of moves then you aren't good. It's better to use all your moves and be a well rounded character.

Forcebewitya!

18. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    See, I have to disagree with that. Because like I said, any move can be avoided and countered if you have skill. So it's not cheap.

19. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    See, I have to disagree with that. Because like I said, any move can be avoided and countered if you have skill. So it's not cheap.

no, becuase lets say that you happen to let your guard down and get stuck in a corner. Now if...lets use Sheik as an example, if she uses her hit that strikes multiple times over and over again and can be done non stop. And you cannot move anywhere I believe that to be cheap. Perhaps melee isn't the best example of a game that illustrates this, take Soul Calibur for example, a n00b can come in and just button mash, and manage to beat someone that has experiance playing the game, I find that cheap. They do not deserve to win becuase they have no skill.

Forcebewitya!

20. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    If you let yourself get beaten by the same move over and over you're doing something wrong, not your opponent.

21. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Exactly.

And yes, you can get out of that corner and counter it. I've done it and so have others.

If it's in the game, it's valid. Not cheap.

And Soul Caliber 2 is a bad example. First of all, I love that game. But it's not a deep game at all. It's a button masher. It's a game anybody can play.

And if someone doesn't bother to learn and perfect that dozens of move sets and just rather do the essentials of punch, kick, throw, low kick, jump kick... which is button mashing... then so be it. And it's just as fair. Nothing wrong with sticking to the basic face button attacks instead of doing the move sets. They deserve to win just as much as the other.

And if they beat you like that, then you need to hone your skills. Because while they're are button mashers who can beat me, there are many that I can beat their pants off.

Button mashing is also a skill. Some players perfer brute force and quick dodges and dashes (button mashers) and others perfer the strategic learning and mastering of the move sets and patterns.

Both are as valid.

The only fighting game that I know where one has to depend fully on move sets and mastering them is Virtua Figher, especially 4. That is a deep fighting game.

But no way is Soul Caliber 1 or 2 deep. That's the reason it got so much praise. The fact that anyone can play and get something out of it and on a fair level. Whether button masher versus strategist or pro versus novice or whatever versus whatever.

It's not deep like Virtua Fighter and it's no shallow like Dead or Alive. It's a perfect balance.

22. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    Um...Yeah. Most noobies can do something at that level. Just about every one I know can do just that. Just because they are the hardest level in multiplayer against the computer, doesn't mean a dang thing. If you are really that good, you should know by now that almost everyone that has a brain is harder than level 9s. So, your point is void as far as I'm concerned. If you think that's some great accomplishment, you are wrong.

Oh, did I mention I own humans, too? I own the most experienced players I know, and I attend one of the largest, most acclaimed high schools in my state, which gives me plenty of candidates to pick from. Although there is one person on another forum who I will readily admit would beat me anyday.

What can I say? I have to have time to play Jedi Academy and KOTOR and Mario Kart Double Dash and F-Zero GX and watch Two Towers EE and Indiana Jones on DVD and overhaul my comp and date my 13 uber-hot girlfriends! :p

23. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I love the counter attacks in Dead or Alive. I have a friend that almost only uses special attacks and when I play against him, I often use the counter attacks during the whole fight and make him look like a dork. I often win by just doing that [face_laugh]
    But he's probably not as experienced as you guys and that is probably the reason why I am able to do this...

24. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    I really need to learn how to use marth and roys counter....Now that I've got that dancing blade thing down...I think....My friends plays as Link and uses the down a attack very well...when he kills me with it I say its cheap but its not... :p using the characters moves efficently is the best way to win.

25. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    If you let yourself get beaten by the same move over and over you're doing something wrong, not your opponent.

I never said I let my self get beat by the same move over and over again, I just find it annoying when people do it.

And if they beat you like that, then you need to hone your skills. Because while they're are button mashers who can beat me, there are many that I can beat their pants off.

same here.

Button mashing is also a skill. Some players perfer brute force and quick dodges and dashes (button mashers) and others perfer the strategic learning and mastering of the move sets and patterns.

.....that had to be the stupidest thing I have heard all day.

Oh, did I mention I own humans, too? I own the most experienced players I know, and I attend one of the largest, most acclaimed high schools in my state, which gives me plenty of candidates to pick from. Although there is one person on another forum who I will readily admit would beat me anyday.

I "own humans" also, like everyone I know accept for one (who doesn't always beat me either just about 85% of the time), like you in some aspects, and I also have been to large Conventions where Melee games where being staged. So that can easily compare to your school. And trust me I am VERY much experiance not only in SSBM but also the first (which no one I knew could beat me at).

Forcebewitya!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.