main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite SSBM character?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Macewindu77815, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    I was addicted to the 1st one, too. We experienced players need to unite against a common enemy...

There! That sofa! BEAT THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!

2. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    << .....that had to be the stupidest thing I have heard all day. >>

Why? It's true. Buttons mashers aren't people who just walk up to the game and go "Duh, what is this joystick like thing and flashing images on the screen" and then just start kicking the cabinet. Those I call ADD gamers.

They know what they're doing. They just perfer to stick to the basic punck, kick, throw, dash moves and be totally random about it instead of forming strategic move sets. And let me tell you... a good button masher can be effective because they are unpredictable. And that can make things fun and interesting.

3. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    I agree...sometimes its so darn hard to get away from those attacks.... :p

4. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Why? It's true. Buttons mashers aren't people who just walk up to the game and go "Duh, what is this joystick like thing and flashing images on the screen" and then just start kicking the cabinet. Those I call ADD gamers.

NO it isn't true its called button mashing for a reason hence the name BUTTON MASHING, meaning the person playing has no idea what they are doing, and hits all the buttons at random hoping to do a cool combo move. Maybe mine and your definitions are different, but in my mind button mashing isn't just using the basic attacks its exactly what it sounds like masing the buttons. And anyone can mash buttons it takes NO skill.

Forcebewitya!

5. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Most people who play games, unless they're 7 year old new comers, know how to read the face buttons. They know one punches, one kicks, one throws.

They are random about it. They perfer to be random about it. And they know they are just being random with their crazy attacks. They're not stupid. They know they aren't learning or trying to pull of insane combos.

It doesn't require the skill as learning strategic move sets. But it is just as valid.

And there are people who will stick to the button mashing style of playing for the simple fact that it's unpredictable.

And it makes a game interesting IMO.

That's why when I play SSBM, I like having a button masher or two in the mix during a 4 way play. It makes for an insane game.

6. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    I can imagine.....I really need to play more people....my one friend is ok..but the rest....

7. Saruman_the_Silver

Saruman_the_Silver Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Most defiantely Ganondorf.

8. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    And there are people who will stick to the button mashing style of playing for the simple fact that it's unpredictable.

Yes unpredictable to not only the opponent but also themselves, which I think if you don't even know what your going to do then you dont have skill, or a strategy to win. Just hit the buttons and hope you get lucky.

That's why when I play SSBM, I like having a button masher or two in the mix during a 4 way play. It makes for an insane game.

Not in my experiance, it makes for an easy game. See Melee is a different fighting game, you can't really get away with button mashing in it. I can honestly say that I have never been beaten by a button masher in it, much less been hit a substantial amount. Button mashing, in my experiance only works in ...how would you say it...linear fighting games? don't know if thats the correct phrasing, but basically, Soul Calibur, Tekken etc...

Also I think that fighting against good people in Melee four player makes for a MUCH more insane, becuase you really have to pay attention to what's going on and if you so much as blink you could die. Thats how me and my friends play, and it's way more hecktic.

Forcebewitya!

9. Nibelheim

Nibelheim Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2003
    There's a lot that can be said about this here topic.

1. Not all characters can counter. Link is one of them. He can dodge but not very fast and it's harder to do against many people. (anyone that doesn't play as Link on a regular basis, has no idea, you may think you know, but it's different, really trust me.)

2. All moves are avoidable, True. (I'll get to yoshi) Some moves, however, are much harder to dodge or get away from if you are a slower character. Doesn't mean it's impossible, just harder.

3. Rolling and Dodging IS NOT button mashing. And the
    [edit]No Flaming, please that said rolling and dodging was button mashing, has NO IDEA what he's talking about. Button mashing will get you nowhere in this game, literally. When you hit buttons, you will stand in one place and execute various moves...in one place. Not to mention that if you move and button mash, you will only get yourself killed. It is the stupidest thing you could ever do to anyone that's experianced in the least. I too play as Link all the time and I'm telling you, his not very fast. In some situations it's really all you can do. Going back to the getting hit repeatedly by the same move, Hmm, Lets say I'm Link and my opponent is Fox. Often I even anticipate (part of strategy) what they will do, and when they do it, there's noting Link can do about it. Sure I will always have more to learn, but like Forcebewitya said, The Conventions where literally thousands of people were, and we were at the top only losing to one guy who was really good, and killing myself stupidly. (Dang it!)

BTW: All strategies are different, a set, defined, constant list of patterns WILL NOT work against different characters. Rolling out of the way is SMART. Shields can and will break with time and it's a well known fact that evading is always better than blocking if possible. You are out of the path of danger as opposed to being right in front of it and the possibility that you could slip or your shield could just turn off, or not block the move. (very frequent with Link) Common sense says that you are better off dodging/rolling than blocking anyday. Strategy goes into the way my friends and I play, and I tell you it's incredibly complex. Usually we will have two Links. Forcebewitya has a better strategy against slower characters like another Link (me) and I have a better strategy against faster characters. Even with these two different strategies, we often meet arrows, boomerangs and bombs alike in mid air. That takes some kind of skill to anticipate the move and counter it in mid air with a projectile.

I didn't really mean to go all postal like on you, but you have proclaimed something that was untrue. Rolling and dodging is a good thing to do if used right. Oh and Yoshi does have an invincible shell rolling thing that he can do. It's possible to beat, but it is cheap and hard. Using one move over and over with no skill when it's difficult for another character to get out of is cheap. Sorry you are given power in the game, and you can most certainly abuse it. Even Link could to a degree.

It would be interesting to see all of us together in a tournament, there really ought to be a tournament that's dedicated to all Melee. The first one was definitely classic and still holds a place in my heart. *remembers good times* Also which state are you in Alpha_red?

10. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I havent played it for a year, so most of my divine talent has gone way down, but Luigi, always and forever.

11. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    " And the FRICKING IDOIOT "

Hey, what do you know. You just FLAMED me for no other reason then to be immature and righteous.

Guess what, pal. This isn't GameFaqs. There is no flaming.

First of all, we can agree to disagree instead of you throwing a tamptrum.

Second, we were talking about button mashers in general since the question of Soul Caliber was brought up, which is a staple for button mashers.

And third of all, I never said a dash or a dodge in a fighting game was a button mash. What I said was, that those moves, just like the basic face buttons, are part of a button mashers arsenal, because even an unpredictable button masher can press "right" twice to do a dash in fighting games or they can slam down on the "dodge" or "block" button as many fighting games do.

Fourth, SSBM is a terribly fun and addicting game with a lot of variables. But it is not a deep fighting game at all. For a deep fighting game, you'd have to look at Virtua Fighter 4.

And a button masher can pick and play SSBM just fine because I've seen it. Whether they get destroyed in one second flat or they can actually hold their own, depends how good of a button masher they are.

And lastly, I will repeat myself by saying this isn't GameFaqs. We don't come on the JC to have our IQ's lowered or to have to deal with the rampant immaturity of GameFaqs. So if you want to flame and throw a fit and be immature... then go on ahead to GameFaqs.

Because no one is fighting here. We all get along great here in the JC Games forums and no one is being hostile or fighting here. We're sharing opinions and sometimes we disagree. That's life.

There is no "I'm wrong, you're right" here. We agree to disagree and that's that.

12. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    And third of all, I never said a dash or a dodge in a fighting game was a button mash. What I said was, that those moves, just like the basic face buttons, are part of a button mashers arsenal, because even an unpredictable button masher can press "right" twice to do a dash in fighting games or they can slam down on the "dodge" or "block" button as many fighting games do.

but all by accident mind you. Thus proving my previous post's point.

Fourth, SSBM is a terribly fun and addicting game with a lot of variables. But it is not a deep fighting game at all. For a deep fighting game, you'd have to look at Virtua Fighter 4.

You don't have to tell me that it's terribly fun and addicting, I probably have more hours logged on that game than anyone here.

And if you could tell me what your definition of a "deep fighting game" that would help. Becuase from what I am understanding now, I would argue that SSBM is one of the deepest if not the deepest fighting games thus far. I do not know your skill level, so some of what I, and what Nibelheim was trying to say might not get through to you, but once you develope a solid fighting skill in Melee it's by far one of the most complex, and hard fighting games to play I think.

And again I will state that you CAN NOT button mash in SSBM and hope to acheive a win. It's impossible. period. I think where I am disargreeing with you is our definition of button mashing...but if you want to hear mine you can look at my last three posts where I said it. You have got to know what you are doing when playing SSBM other wise you will just run around like a bumbling idiot that acheives nothing and will be an easy target for skilled players to pick off.

Forcebewitya!

13. Spark-Moon

Spark-Moon Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2004
    I like... gooooold!

Sorry there, just trying to be funny. ^_^;

Aniwho, I really like to use Prince Marth, Princess Zelda, Captain Falcon and Samus Aran. n_n

They are so cool! =]

14. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    young link is the best!

15. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    young link is the best!

I played as young Link for a little while about 3 months then I realized that I was and will be always the best with adult Link so I went back to playing with him.

Forcebewitya!

16. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Peach owns. All her moves are weak, but she has a frying pan, and a flying, flaming butt slam. How can you top that?

17. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I likie Mario 'cause he's an allround character and Fox 'cause I prefer fast and slow characters rather than slow and powerful, like Link and Ganondorf. I like Link however 'cause his missile weapons compensate for the lack of speed.

18. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    and Fox 'cause I prefer fast and slow characters

Fox is by no means slow....explain.

Forcebewitya!

19. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    I think he meant fox is fast and gannondorf is slow? Marth and Roy rock....and you can't really pick up and start mashing buttons and win against a pro.

20. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    I don't know about you lot but DK for me, no beats Donkey Kong!

21. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    my name says it all

22. cjyoda78

cjyoda78 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2003
    WEll lets all face the facts Fox has and will always be the best ssb character,

and the chiefs aint gonna make it deal with it

23. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    .and you can't really pick up and start mashing buttons and win against a pro.

exactly. And Fox, ugh if I knew someone who could master him like I master Link, I would be screwed, becuase I HATE fast characters, Sheik is bad enough, Fox would be quite the challenge....I think, of course who knows I might just pwn him also.

Forcebewitya!

24. Celticsfan

Celticsfan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    It's a tie between Link and Mario for me.

25. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    All you have to get right on the faster characters is timing. I'm pretty good with young Link, but no one I know plays Link like I do -- and I know a hell of a lot of people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.