main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite Star Wars Authors

Discussion in 'Literature' started by -RebelScum-, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I want your top 3 favorites mine are

#1 Timothy Zahn
    I choose him because he wrote The Thrawn Trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn Duology all of which are pure art. Plus he's writing some New Jedi Order though I have not read them yet I think they will be grea too.

#2 Michael A. Stackpole
    He wrote most of (and the better half) of the X-Wing series, plus he wrote the best books in the New Jedi Order (Dark Tide 1 and 2)

#3 Kevin J. Anderson
    He would of been #2 but he realy hasnt written all that much but I still apreciate his books The Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Some othe authors I think deserve to be reconised and were not on the list for reason such as not having written many Star Wars books or simply not up in Zahns level are
    Barbara Hambley -Children of the Jedi
    Dave Wolverton -Courtship of Princess Leia-
    Aaron Alston -Part of the X-Wing series-
    Vanda N. McIntyre -Crystal Star-

Sorry, favorites threads are still not allowed here. :)

2. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    cummon it dont have to be as long as mine only

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    1) KW Jeter - wrote my 3 favorite Star Wars books ('The Bounty Hunter War' trilogy)

2) James Luceno ('Cloak of Deception', 'The Unifying Force')

3) Matthew Stover ('Shatterpoint')

4. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    At the moment it's:

1. Allston. Every SW book he's written I happen to love. All of them, particularly the NJO ones, are a little lighter than the ones around them. I've only read one of his short SW stories (League of Spies). Are there more?

2. Tie between Zahn, Stover, and Anderson. Traitor is my personal fave, but I haven't read Shatterpoint, or Ep3, so I'm not sure. I like Anderson's short work in the anthologies the most, but the JA trilogy and Darksaber are both good. Zahn's tricky. TTT is the best trilogy in EU IMHO, but I didn't like a large chunk of HoT and haven't read SQ.

3. Stackpole. He was the one that made me like SW books and the EU in general, with the first 4 X-Wings, so he stays on the list, even though I thought Dark Tide could have been better.

Just My 2 cents.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Stover.

Allston. His X-wing books are among the best EU. The NJO books weren't so good.

Daley. The Han Adventures were great.

I would've included Stackpole for the RS tetralogy, but I, Jedi, Isard's Revenge and Dark Tide were all pretty stinky IMO.

6. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    1) AC Crispin. Her Han Solo trilogy is the best SW out there. If you haven't read them, do so. You are in for a treat.

2) The guy who wrote Shadows of the Empire.
    3) Zahn. He is the one who brought me to the EU.

Three I don't like.

1) Barbar Hambly
    2) Stackpole....He made Corran Horn. Uhg.
    3) The chick who wrote Dark Journey

7. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    My two cents worth is:

1. Timothy Zahn. All-time greatest.

2. Aaron Allston. The Wraiths were awesome!

3. Erk...Tie between several, I'd say...Maybe Roger MacBride Allen for the Corellian trilogy? But there are others I like as well...

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Fav threads are allowed back . . .?

Zahn, for his well balanced books.

Stackpole, for his camaraderie, smooth dialogue and action.

Luceno, has the innate ability to integrate SW nomenclature and their everyday words just as their characters would speak them.

Denning, for that same reason. Tatooine Ghost, while bland in plot, was a good read just for the great dialogue and smoothness of structure.

McDowell, a solid trilogy of political intrigue, military action and mystery.

Williams and Dix, for their unparalelled Evergence and Orphans trilogies.

Allen, for the unforgettable Admiral Ossilege. One man's tactics vs an entire amarda, you got it.

Hambly, Ostrander, Truman and Blackman have their distinctiveness too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.