main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite 'Star Wars' narrative: SW, OT, or Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I'm sorry to disagree but I'm spanish and I can't stand the spanish dubbs of any of the SW films, i much prefer the original version. the voice-actors change throughout the films and the performances are VERY inferior to the originals.

2. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    I have an odd way of approaching the films (particularly for someone born in '86).

I saw the Star Wars movies in bits and pieces growing up, so I was already familiar with all of the big twists and surprises before I was old enough really appreciate the films. Even then I was never a huge fan of Star Wars until Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight sparked my interest in the series.

Thus, for me growing up, there was no concept in my head of Vader ever not being Luke's Father or Liea not being his sister; there was no Star Wars, just the Original Trilogy.

Episode 1 came out just before I was old enough to really speculate in my head what the Prequel Trilogy should be like, and I was still young enough to take it as a great addition to the Saga. But about the same time I also started to study the secret history of Star Wars. Ever since Episodes II and III have come out, I now watch The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in light of the Prequel Trilogy. Yet I've become incapable of watching A New Hope as anything but an independent film existing in its own universe.

Suffice to say, Star Wars is by far my favorite narrative, followed by the Saga. Strangely, for a guy who grew up only knowing the Original Trilogy, that's the only narrative I completely ignore.

However, I would postulate that there exists a fourth narrative not yet mentioned, that being the Saga as filled in by the Expanded Universe. I'm a huge fan of the comics and video games (and to a far lesser extent the novels). When I saw Revenge of the Sith in theaters, it was in the light of what had happened in the pages of Star Wars: Republic and Labyrinth of Evil. Thus, if we were to include the EU, that would be second only to Star Wars as my preferred narrative.

3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    If Milton's Satan was chained like Hurin to a granite seat and forced to watch the series in its order of release, he'd say something like, "Better to feast on a glaring inconsistency delivered in earnest abandon than to choke on an elaborate perfection of unprepared embarrassment." Rather than the daring investigation of the pursuit of power for its own sake - the original implications of being "seduced by the dark side" - Lucas's pragmatic and uncollaborative resort to a semi-Oedipal motivation would hit this particular Satan in the solar plexus with the momementum of a strong mouse click.

More viewings will ultimately tell me if the strong performances redeem the prequels. I take Jinn, Yoda, Windu, Palpatine, Dooku lines as 100% on target, Obi-Wan maybe 80%, ROTS Anakin 60%, AOTC and TPM Anakin 40%. I am forced to find that Jar Jar Binks, for however much he grated me initially, is an earnestly performed character. He is, in-universe, an authentic contribution to the experience. I can feel free to dislike him as much as possible without it imparing the in-universe presentation - and that whittles the bad down to Lloyd. By Grapthar's Hammer, what a savings! The 'narrative' within AOTC is beautiful, but you have to mute for Christiansen scenes (Will Blu-ray have this technology??). The tonal art qualities of ROTS are perilously competent for redeeming the arc, but I won't know for some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.