main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite TCW Lightsaber Duel to Date

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Mar 3, 2010.

?

Favorite TCW Lightsaber Duel to Date

Poll closed Mar 3, 2010.
  1. Cloak of Darkness - Ventress v. Luminara

3.6%
  2. Cloak of Darkness - Ventress v. Luminara & Ahsoka

7.1%
  3. Lair of Grievous - GG v. Nahdar Vebb

3.6%
  4. Lair of Grievous - GG v. Kit Fisto

17.9%
  5. Hidden Enemy - Ventress v. Anakin & Obi-Wan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Holocron Heist - Ahsoka v. "Jocasta Nu"

3.6%
  7. Brain Invaders - Ahsoka v. Barriss

8.9%
  8. Grievous Intrigue - Grievous v. Eeth Koth

10.7%
  9. Grievous Intrigue - Grievous v. Obi-Wan

32.1%
  10. Mandalore Plot - Pre Viszla v. Obi-Wan

12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, we've still got some time to kill and posting in LACWAC might be at an all-time low.

So let's talk favorite lightsaber duels! Looking at the list, there's 3 episodes that have multiple duels, and yes there were a few episodes that had brief duels, but I didn't include them.

Vote for your favorite and let us know why! Let us know what has been missing from TCW lightsaber duels to date!

Don't forget to CAREFULLY select your poll choice, as the select button isn't exactly lined up with the choices.

2. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I voted for Grievous Intrigue, Grievous versus Obi-Wan. It certainly had a lot of good value for money in terms of action, choreography, length, and of course, banter, with both combatants getting in good shots.

Of course, Kit Fisto's two-versus-three finale in Lair of Grievous is a close second, as that's the most fluid duel I've seen so far. :p

I think that some credit should be due to the fight in Mandalore Plot, too, as they really tried to capture a different, less acrobatic style that a non-Force sensitive would use...even if it DID end with a whimper that caused a bang. [face_laugh]

3. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I go with Kit vs Grievous in Lair. That was a beautiful and moody duel, with some very cool moves and and amazing fluidity to it. They really used Kit's tentacles to great effect in highliting all the motions.

And I'd like to highlight a very good mini-duel: Ahsoka vs Grievous in Duel of the Droids. I thought that was very well handled, with some amazing poses.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm going with Barriss because I'm biased.:p Although I really liked how they set that one up.

At the same time, these are kind of hard to choose from... I really liked the Pre Vizla... and Eeth Koth... and Cloak of Darkness... and etc.

Just not that one where Ahsoka escaped without a scratch from Grievous, which thankfully, isn't up here.

5. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    You forgot to include Ahsoka vs. Ventress in Cloak of Darkness.

Anyway, I'm going with Bariss vs. Ahsoka... most dramatic of all the duels!

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This. With Eeth Koth vs Grievous as a close second.

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Even though no one can die in the duel, I voted for Grievous vs Obi-Wan in "Grievous Intrigue".

Garth, you also forgot to add Grievous vs Obi-Wan in "Destroy Malevolence". (heh)

8. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Voted for Grevious vs. Eeth Koth... at least I hope I did.

that was some awesome suspence going on there with Eeth surrounded. Plus, with all the talk about Eeth being in the show I was happy to see Dave blow our fears/expectations out of the water!

EDIT: Close second to the fighting in Cloak of Darkness. Great duel location for both episodes as well.

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I somewhat surprisingly ended up voting for Ventress vs. Luminara in Cloak of Darkness.

I loved the banter between them and it was cool to see the "samurai vs. ninja" styles.

Guys, I also mentioned that I tried to pick the 10 "biggest" duels, I'm well aware there are several mini duels but we don't have space for them all. [face_laugh]

10. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    "Guys, I also mentioned that I tried to pick the 10 "biggest" duels, I'm well aware there are several mini duels but we don't have space for them all."

What about Obi vs Ventress and Anakin vs. Dooku? They were both longer than the others.

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Definitely not counting the film. :)

It would be nice to see Yoda, Mace, Plo, and Dooku get involved. Also Sora Bulq. And Quinlan.

12. Darth_Comrade

Darth_Comrade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2009
    Grievous Intrigue OBi Wan vs Grievous.

Pretty much for the same reason everyone else picked, but on top of that, for the tension building up as the others were trying to rescue Koth.

Second place is Ahsoka and Barriss. Although the tension was a lot stronger, it wasn't quite a duel as much as it was a chase.

13. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Man this was easy! Kit VS GG!!! I was at first going to flip out because not too many people were picking it but I don't blame them as there have been alot of awesome & recent duels (not to mention I would sound like an EDITED [face_laugh]).

So why did I like Kit VS Grievy?
    Cuz.......
    Kit is most badass Jedi ever invented. Mace is too badass for my fav taste.
    Grievous is the most badass Villain ever invented.
    Foggy environment? EDITED yeah!
    Kit pulled off a Zabuza on Grievous. (He use the fog to his advantage)
    Really nice colors.
    Lots of suspense as Kit is the only one left that was in the Lair.
    Awesome dialogue:
    "You might have been a proud warrior once...but now you are just a pawn in Dooku's game(gain?)!"

"I weild great power Jedi Fool!"

"That power will only consume you"

Then Kit goes all badass on Grievous's butt.

Fisto - watch your language. Also, I'm putting a cap of 3 uses of "badass" per post. ;) G_M.

14. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    GG vs. Obi-Wan was probably the most film-like of the duels so far, and certainly had some memorable dialogue.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What? :confused:

Game.

16. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
  17. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    ...um, check.

Muha. You missed one. :p

*slowly opens a can of worms*

We can say WTF now though. :D

18. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    GG v. Nahdar Vebb

because this is the only duel in the whole series that made me *gasp* when it ended. totally didn't expect Nahdar to get shot that soon. short and sweet.

19. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Barris vs. Ventress.

And I'm waiting for a rematch!

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'll wait to see that...

21. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I'm still waiting for a neat Plo Koon action piece on-screen....he can already take down Asajj Ventress with nothing but one good arm in a dead cold snow planet while preventing his Clone Commander from getting killed. Surely they can pull up something. :p

22. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Pre Viszla vs. Obi-Wan was my favorite. First, we got to see a little darksaber action, and then some Mandolorian vs. Jedi fighting, which hearkened back to AOTC.

23. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    Kit Fisto vs Grievous, although any of the duels seen in "Grievous Intrigue" are right up there too, but the environment seen in "Lair of Grievous" with the fog was awesome.

I'm hoping to see Count Dooku in a duel, by now the animation is there to see his fencing style and I'd like to see it with someone OTHER than Obi-Wan and Anakin - arguably any of the Jedi Council members, and hopefully it will be a suprise, where one day we are watching an episode and he runs into some of his former comrades. Plenty of potential for a titanic fight displaying saber and force prowess and awesome dialogue.

Despite all that being said, the duels themselves should be a rarity, and special encounter when they do happen - Dave Filoni pointed out as much in commentary for an episode that they can lose their appeal if overused, and I agree with this 100%.

24. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Quite right. The worst case of these "throwaway duels" was in Hidden Enemy. The duel against Ventress was just atrociosuly meaningless.

25. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    Yep, didn't like that duel at all to be honest. The way the scenes were cut back n' forth between the clones investigating the traitor and the fight really broke the duel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.