main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Favorite television seasons.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, Donna is my favourite single NuWho companion for all the reasons you stated. As much as I love the Ponds, they work best as a couple, and I'm afraid that individually, both Amy and Rory still fall a little short of Donna.

That said, if the new companion is anything like Oswin in AOTD, she may well give Donna a run for her money... :p

MrZAP and Everton like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I am really really hoping for her to still be Oswin. Because yeah, then you'd have a companion who not only calls the Doctor out like Donna did, but is also actually intellectually a bit more of a match. We shall see. As it stands, I really do think all the seasons of NuWho have been good, though. Which as I said, makes declaring any one of them my favorite or least favorite kind of a silly exercise in putting things in the order from great to utterly brilliant :p

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Avatar-the Last Airbender- Book Three: Fire is brilliant from start to finish. The only episode I can’t re-watch is the Bloodbending episode. Not because it’s a bad episode mind you, but because it would creep the **** out of my five-year-old, who also LOVES the series. Humorously enough, her favorite episode from that season is the Beach. I’ve used the episode to teach the moral lesson that to seek the approval of an unworthy person never ends well.

IndianaJones and the Firebending Masters. LOL. We were just watching that episode a couple of days ago. I totally took over my son’s date [face_mischief] And Sweet Jeebus, the Ember Island Players is so meta!

As far as favorite season of another series…

[​IMG]

Nuff said.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    "The Beach" is underrated.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    QFT. Anybody who thinks Azula's meltdown came out of nowhere needs to rewatch this episode.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I also thought the ending was brilliant, but Season 4 just stumbled out of the gates too much for me. it was as if they really weren't entirely sure where they wanted to go at first, and needed 4 or 5 episodes to find their way. Seasons 2 and 3, they seemed to already know where they were going to tie up the previous seasons plot lines, Season 2 then careened almost directly into the Pegasus plotline, so there was almost no letup until late in the season (Black Market). Season 3 started similarly, but then wasn't quite sure where to go once the New Caprica plotlines were tied up. Season 4, on the other hand, really doesn't seem lke they know where they want to go with things like Kara's return,and it takes several episodes until things pick up steam with the Cylon rebellion and the Demetrius meeting up with the rebels.

From that point on, though, i agree that it's brilliant pretty much right up to Daybreak, Deadlock probably the only episode that doesn't quite click for me. The mutiny episodes were brilliant, and Revelations is probably my favorite episode of any TV series ever, it just works and fits together perfectly, and job they do on your emotions at the end leaves you as devastated as the colonists on Earth.

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Buffy, Season 2. If I have to say why, you were not watching closely enough. (As an aside, while Joss went on to write and direct his best episodes in later seasons, I still think that the best non-Joss episode is from this season.)

West Wing, Season 2. All the mains put in performances that they could have walked away from as their best ever, and Sorkin solidified his position as one of the greatest writers in TV.

Skins (UK), Season 2. The issues touched upon for these teen characters were amazing. It was everything that would make you think this was a soap, yet the performances were so spot on that it was the right mix of drama, humour, tragedy and heart that made it all seem real. And it's all the more impressive when you remember that none of these actors were over 20 at the time.

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Red Dwarf, series 5. 'Holoship', 'The Inquisitor', 'Terroform', 'Quarantine', 'Demons & Angels' and 'Back to Reality'. The show was at the peak of its popularity, the cast were in their prime, Grant Naylor too... and the BBC had the most confidence they ever had in the show. 'Back to Reality' is, IMHO, the best episode ever. It's no coincidence that most of the series revolves around the best character, Arnold Rimmer. 'Holoship', 'Terroform' and 'Quarantine' all hinge on his hang ups and neuroses.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Heroes season 1. Pure win.

Everything afterwards was pretty much garbage.

Ashes to Ashes season 1 and Life on Mars season 1 are also my favourite.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I agree about Heroes Season 1, but there's also a bit of 'what might have been.' due to the second season getting sabatoged by the Writer's Strike.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think I've settled on the best MASH season. Eight, I think it would be.

It's toward the beginning of Season Eight that Radar leaves and what could be crippling turns out to be a huge step forward in the show's evolution. The follow-up episode, Period of Adjustment, in which Klinger and B.J. get drunk together is maybe the finest episode of the series. Mike Farrell's performance in the episode is absolutely amazing and it's a grueling emotional journey the character takes in that episode. Life Time, later in the season, is another winner of a serious episode; in it, the surgeons have twenty minutes to perform a procedure in order to save a soldier from paralysis; a clock ticks down the episode in real time and it's incredibly tense. Then there's Dreams, which is an astonishing episode and deserves every bit of the praise it's gotten over the years. On the comedy side, it has Heal Thyself, in which Potter and Charles are forced to room together when they both come down with the mumps; it's a sidesplittingly funny episode. Stars & Stripes and Morale Victory and Lend a Hand, with Alan Alda's father as arrogant surgeon Anthony Borelli, are also excellent.

I really wanted it to be season nine; it ends with another contender for best episode of the series, The Life You Save, and features the grueling Father's Day, in which Margaret's father comes to visit and A War for All Seasons which deserves mention for its year long baseball subplot alone. And season eleven gets to be a contender strictly for Goodbye, Farewell & Amen, but don't forget that it also features Hey, Look Me Over, which brings Nurse Kellye Nakahara to the forefront and Foreign Affair, in which Charles has an affair with a French foreign aid worker.

But, at the end of the day . . . Season Eight. I think I'm right.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't think the lack of a strike would've made a difference. IMHO they had one brilliant series (season) in mind and nothing else. Absolutely nothing else. It was brilliant, the first series, but it should've ended there.

tom likes this.
  13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    So very agree! Dingo why pick 2?

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    YMMV, but I'll always be left wondering if the second half that never got filmed due to the strike could have been better than the second half of S2.

15. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    ALIAS SEASON TWO:

The Rambaldi mythology, the introduction and surrender of Sydney's fugitive mother, the midseason episode Phase One which turned the entire series' premise on its head and the mind blowing finale in which Sydney awakens in Hong Kong two years after being presumed dead with no memory of what happened to her and her love interest married to someone else.

The show never reached these heights again.

Darth McClain likes this.
  16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Prison Break Season 1. Without a doubt the best season of that show. Watching Michael's escape plan unfold over the year was enthralling. Fox River was a character unto itself and the show suffered once they were out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Season 5 for me lost it just because of the shark jump that was McNulty fabricating a serial killer. And I think S1 was actually best, though 3 and 4 were excellent.

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I still believe that what McNulty did was plausible, particularly with years-long fraud people still manage to perpetrate.

Season 1 is my least favorite season, and the one I'm least likely to watch again. It's great, of course, but I'm not big into first seasons of anything. The Wire is no exception to that for me. The same is true of BSG; I haven't rewatched anything from the first season since I last saw episodes from it in 2008.

19. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I also agree.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I was more bothered by Lester going along with it. It might have been a little over-the-top at times but it still fits McNulty's character. But Lester? Not a chance.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Interesting. Do you think there's a particular reason you're not into first seasons of anything? What about season one of LOST?

22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't have a problem with the serial killer stuff. The newspaper subplot, on the other hand...

23. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Chuck Season 2 is my absolute favorite. It's the most cohesive of all the seasons, and balanced the goofy/campy nature of the show with some more serious themes. We learn more of the main characters' back stories in this season than any other, as each gets at least one feature episode. There were some great guest stars too: John Larroquette, Scott Bakula, Gary Cole, Nichole Richie, among others. The "will they/won't they" romance between Chuck and his CIA handler Sarah isn't tired at this point, and progresses nicely throughout the season. Plus, the season finale features perhaps the most epic TV wedding ever: paratroopers, guns, knives, and one crazy cover of Mr. Roboto.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Huh? And wut?

You don't find a series which demolished the credibility of the police procedural with it's accuracy having a key character fake a serial killer anything problematic?!

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The X-Files Season 5. The show just really came together in a big way there and didn't quit until halfway through Season Six. There's no reason to watch anything after that, though.

TX-20 likes this.