main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite things to do here in the Albany Area.

Discussion in 'Archive: Albany, NY' started by beezel26, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I guess since Noggins is new to the area I was hoping we could give him some ideas of what to do here in the capital district that is fun. I myself like to visit downtown albany every now and then see how everything has changed and all the festivals going on. Lark fest will be here shortly and it is fun.

2. Tripple8ch

Tripple8ch Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2002
    Yeah I just got here too. What do you guys do here? All I see are Burger Kings and Dunkin' Donuts.

3. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Hey we missed you at the meeting tonight. By the way hang out with Noggins if you want to pick up any chicks. With his Welsh accent he picked up a barmaid and his roommates sister. The dude has charm and doesnt even know it. I guess it is the Welsh equivalent to Barry White. The Lark fest will begin mid September. That is fun. It is on Lark Street in Albany.

4. noggins

noggins Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    And my discovery is that Quintessence is the coolest bar ever - it's a converted diner and they didn't ID any of us who went there are few days back. Great stuff. Plus, the barmaid who was there the night I went was cute :)

One thing that can be said for this city is the sheer amount of cool bars!!

5. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    The Scary Welshman has arrived. And yes we have some really cool bars.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    [face_laugh]

I think I would enjoy barhopping with you, Welshman. Try to pick up a few guys for me as well. ;)

7. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    Well, I'm always up for doing a pub crawl... or bar crawl as I guess it'd be here!!! I've found some great places around here already - it's a shame I was so drunk I'll probably never find them again :)

8. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Noggins we are going to do a pub crawl pretty soon. Maybe make it an official event. Invite others from the other ny clubs.

9. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    bar hopping is a tradition among SUNY students. Jillians, the Q, Michaels(which is a last stop bar), mardi gras. many places to go, too few hours in a night.

10. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    The Q? Is that Quintessensce? If so, I love that place to bits!!!

11. neoxeon2

Oct 3, 2000
    i wont be bar hopping this wknd. im going to six flags fri and sat, then going to my camp sun, so no bars for me this wknd.

12. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    At least bars in Albany are open until 4 a.m., unlike lame Washington, DC where they close at 2 a.m. here.

Other stuff to do in Albany besides drink? Ummmmm....... Go to Crossgates and hang out. I used to go to the movies a lot. SPAC is always good in the summer. If you like the outdoors, you're in the right place for everything. Not far from good skiing in the Adirondacks, Catskills, VT, MA and even NH.

Still pissed that 104.5FM isn't all '80s anymore...... :(

13. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    Ah, but bars open until 4am are not a good idea when you've got a 8am class the next morning as I've already discovered :p

14. Tripple8ch

Dec 28, 2002
    Me too noggins. 8am every day! Besides I heard Sneaky Pete's was a let down anyway.

15. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    Well, Stinky... *ahem*... Sneaky Pete's is okay if you're into dance/techno music and bad beer but otherwise it's really not worth it. As a metal fan I feel totally out of place - I was there last night and spent all my time out the back in the smokers' pen chatting to various people which was no doubt more fun than I would've had inside

16. Tripple8ch

Dec 28, 2002
    Yeah I heard it was a packed house. Boring, but packed.

17. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    It was fairly packed yesterday - couldn't get on the dancefloor even if I wanted to. To be honest, I'd just suggest sticking to bars that are less inclined to ask for ID. Quintessence is probably the best for that - it's just off Lark St. I believe (can't be certain 'cause I was drunk when I got there). It's a bit of a bugger if you're under 21 and can't get decent fake ID (although they are cracking down on it pretty tough according to posters all over Waterbury Hall)

18. neoxeon2

Oct 3, 2000
    most bars are cracking down and a lot of the bouncers can spot fakes, and chalking too. so it makes things really difficult for those under age.

19. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I wanna find some great Indian places in Albany. I've only been to a really good one in Troy and one in Saratoga. I remember driving down Western Ave and going past two of them, but I haven't ventured inside to look at their menus.

I've heard wonderful things about the Indian food in England and Wales, though. :) You must be spoiled, noggins!

Jae Angel

20. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    God yes - Indian food in the UK is actually more popular than anything else... it's pretty much our adopted national dish! And yeah, I've seen The Curry House on Western and there's another one called Gandhi on Lark so the plan is to try them both first chance I get... hopefully by the end of this week

21. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Well I have a week off of work and plan to enjoy the weather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.