main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Favorite type of Medium to experience Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Sep 30, 2016.

?

Favorite Medium to Experience Star Wars in

1. Movies

46.7%
  2. Television

13.3%
  3. Comic Books

6.7%
  4. Novels

33.3%
  5. Video Games

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So what type of Medium do you prefer to experience Star Wars in over all, i know that different mediums allow for different storytelling and no medium is better or worse than another but in terms of personal preference what is your favorite and why?

Movies
    Books
    Comics
    Video Games
    or
    Television

If i had to pick....I think i would pick two, Movies and Comic Books. Now don't get me wrong i love the novels, Thrawn Trilogy being one of my favorite Star Wars things ever. But in terms of experience Star Wars, I'm very much a visuals person, so i like being able to see things. And when i was a kid i used to have a ton of Star Wars comics in the day, so that would be my choice at least.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Audiovisual.

3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I voted novels. I love to read, love to imagine the action and the getting inside the characters heads.

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    In my opinion there isn't any question on the matter (movies). I guess though it just depends on rather you enjoy reading more than watching movies or tv.

5. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Novels and comics are tied for me with video games close behind. I like the movies but to say that many pieces of Star Wars literature/games don't have them beat in terms of execution of concept is rather unconvincing, if you ask me.

Havoc123 likes this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I don’t really favor any, as long it is well made they are all equally fine, sadly the “well made” part has recently been missing in certain mediums.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Erotic fanfiction.

8. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    "When the Lightsaber Ignites" by Troy Denning ;)

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Novels.

Can tell a longer story and can get into a character's head that much better imo.

10. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Movie>Novel>Comic>Television>Video games

11. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    "Pillar of blue efflux" just took on a whole new meaning.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  12. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Indeed. [face_laugh]

13. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Hard to say, because as a general rule, books are my favorite medium, and the fact that Star Wars chose to lean so much on them for its expanded universe is no small part of why I grew up loving the franchise so much. But still, it's impossible to talk Star Wars without the visual, audio, musical, etc side of things. I don't think I would've gotten into the franchise as I have if the movies hadn't hooked me onto them in the first place. And the movies still blow me away when I rewatch them every few years.

Also helps that when you're talking about a futuristic space war, there's really no substitute for visuals. As much as I love the novels, nothing in them's ever matched the awesomeness of watching the battles of Coruscant, Yavin and Endor live.

Oh, heck. Movies. But by a very slim margin.

Barriss_Coffee and Sarge like this.
  14. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Movies no contest because they are what started it all!

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Movies followed by comics, SW work best in a visual medium.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    In all seriousness, each medium has its strengths and weaknesses. I love the films, which are what the whole universe is based on. They're visually spectacular, and the OT is just brilliant in every aspect. You don't have the franchise without the movies. But it's hard to build a universe with movies. The current pace of one movie a year is really an outrageous pace. By the time Star Wars has been around for forty years we'll have had nine films to show for it. I love the films, their visuals, their music, their acting, all the elements they introduced that made everything else work. They're the foundation. But there are a lot of movies I love. What made me fall so deeply in love with Star Wars is that there's more to it. There's a whole Expanded Universe. And the movies, even Disney's a-movie-every-year-until-the-heat-death-of-the-universe approach, can't really offer that. They can't compete against multiple comic books and novels and sourcebooks a year.

Television is close to movies in what it offers. It's generally a little less grand, but has the benefit of offering greater room for serialized storytelling, to really draw things out and add depth and breadth. It's a really great medium for Star Wars, if you can get over the budgetary hump of presenting quality sci-fi visuals on a weekly basis. Unfortunately, I have yet to see it used up to its full potential so I can't really endorse it that strongly.

Video games are in some ways similar to movies; they're such big productions that they can't come out that frequently, but they offer visuals, music, action, adventure. They also offer a valuable sense of immersion. It's one thing to watch Luke destroy the Death Star; it's another thing to fly an X-wing yourself, to battle your way through a base full of stormtroopers, to walk through the dawn-lit fields of Dantooine while learning to be a Jedi or step out of that apartment and realize all the adventures of Taris lie before you. What video games offer in that respect is truly awe-inspiring. The downside, of course, is that they're an even more difficult medium through which to sustain a universe. They just don't lend themselves to storytelling that well. Narratives are generally simple quest structures, stringing together combat sequences but not offering a whole lot of complexity. The quality has also been pretty uneven.

Comics also offer visuals, but they have fairly limited room for dialogue, and the short page count of issues makes it hard to get too much story into them. An ongoing comic, however, does have a big advantage in its ability to tell an ongoing serialized story in a way a book can't, and its ability to divert its focus here and there by issue. The freedom for Legacy to follow a sprawling cast with its occasional Wyyrlok issue or Rogue issue or Mandalorian issue, or Republic's ability to weave together the Quinlan arc with an Anakin/Obi-Wan storyline, various side adventures from characters like Aayla Secura, K'Kruhk, and A'Sharad Hett, and one-off bits like that Bail issue where Chancellor Valorum is assassinated or the one with Palpatine's Jedi friend and their long history, really should not be undervalued.

Novels don't have the visuals, but what they do have is far greater depth than any other medium. They can dive into characters' heads, get more characterization in, get more story in with grand, complex narratives. Something as character-driven as the X-wing series really needs the novel form to work. You could never, ever tell a story as sweeping and in-depth as the NJO in another medium. Just try telling a five-year, galaxy-spanning, massive-cast war narrative through a video-game series. You can't. Or comics? It's not going to come out nearly the same. That's why I think the novels are ultimately the backbone of the Expanded Universe, and what I picked as my favorite. The other media are so valuable, and it's the combination of them (along with the "nonfiction" writing of sourcebooks and Essential Guides and the short story form) that really makes the Expanded Universe so rich and diverse. But the novels are at the core of making the EU what it is.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  18. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Real Life.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The movies are the tip of the iceberg and the books, comics, games, tv episodes, etc. are the part of the iceberg underneath the water.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005