favorite understated musical moments in the saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by RurouniKJS, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. RurouniKJS Jedi Knight

star 2
    No, this isn't a thread to gush about Binary Sunset or Han's freezing scene or "use the Force, Luke" yet again. I'm thinking about those little, largely unnoticed moments that are all over Williams' scores for these movies.

One for me is during the fireplace scene in AOTC. There's an even sadder, almost hesitant version of the bridge from Across the Stars playing as the two wrestle with the prospect of acting on their feelings. When I noticed that bit of leitmotif I enjoyed that track (Anakin and Padmé) a lot more.

Share yours.
  2. -Commander_Thigh- Jedi Master

star 4
    I really liked the music when Padme's ship takes off into the sky to leave the Lars' Homestead, where the same phrase is handed down quickly from higher instruments to lower ones. I love that moment.

3. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    The Throne Room theme in "The Fleet Enters Hyperspace."
  4. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    I must say, one of my favorite moments in the entire saga is a very subtle one - when Darth Vader dies at the end of ROTJ and the Imerial March is played one last time on the harp (I think) has got to be one of my absolute favorite musical moments in the saga.

I also like the rebel fanfare being played at the beginning of ROTS when R2 destroys the buzz droid. :D
  5. GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ones i can think of are:

-AOTC, when Obi Wan is reporting to Mace and Yoda from Kamino.

-ROTS, the music when Padme's ship is taking off to go to Mustafar and as the scene changes to Sidious talking to Anakin's hologram.

-ROTS, the drum beats right at the start, after opening crawl.

-AOTC, Obi Wan's arrival on Kamino

-AOTC, that quiet piece of music that plays at least 5 times during the movie (in Palps office at the start, Obi Wans discussion with Jango, Obi Wan spying on the separtists etc)

-AOTC, when Obi flies off that Asteroid and arrives on Geonosis.
  6. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    The Throne Room theme in The Fleet Enters Hyperspace

Jabba's theme before the Podrace.

The Escape from Bespin cue in ROTS.

7. Wester547 Force Ghost

star 4
    * The Force theme cue played *just* when Anakin disobeys Mace and heads off to Palpatine's office in order to attempt to prevent Mace from killing Palpatine (right after when the "Padmé's Ruminations" theme is cued)

* BOTH theme cue when Obi-Wan and Anakin are dueling on the collapsing secret base bunker structure on Mustafar.

* Across the Stars theme variation cued when Anakin runs over to Padmê after talking to Bail Organa for a bit about the whole deal with hunting down Grievous
  8. EwohEkim Jedi Knight

star 1
    The Brother and Sister cue from Return of the Jedi has been on my mind recently, given that listening to it makes me sad for a period that is no longer around. The music reminds ome of a time when it seemed that the world was just beginning to love John Williams and his score. The film came out right after Raiders and E.T., and was a year before Temple of Doom. There's a very lilting fantasy and childlike quality to the music.
  9. Darth-Lutgerous Force Ghost

star 4
    The Anakin's Dream Track - when Ani and Padme are talking in her apartment is quite beautiful and understated.

Escape from Naboo - Great action music!

When Queen Amidala is walking with handmaidens out of Theed Palace before Jedi rescue her - Nice, light music.
  10. sith_rising Force Ghost

star 4
    On the TESB soundtrack, there's a little bit of a "Boba Fett Theme". It's kind of subtle, very deep. It plays during the bounty hunter lineup, when Boba Fett follows the Falcon, and after Vader takes Han's pistol (Boba steps into view). Kinda cool.
  11. QUI-DON-JINN Force Ghost

star 1
    I think I'd have to go with this one as well. I'm always keenly aware of it; such a powerful scene. I also always notice that for a while, the notes match up with a blinking red light in the background.
  12. Draxtralia Jedi Knight

star 1
    TPM: Ultimate Edition - Disc 2, Track 7 "Anakin's Test", the part where we see the Corascant sunset and Jar Jar unwittingly giving Queen Amidala a battle idea, followed by Palpatine entering the room to announce his running for the Chancellorship.
  13. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Even better before the scene was rescored... seriously powerful statement of the political theme during the sunset. Yeah, one of those crazy unreleased music things. Pay me no mind.
  14. Wester547 Force Ghost

star 4
    FINALLY someone who mentions this brilliant cue! It really does have quite an impact, but it's at the same time so sublte, considering the status of things at that time.
  15. CatherineSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    In ROTS, when Padme arrived at Mustafa, that slow version of Across the Stars plays while Padme thinking of her relationship with Anakin, and music changed when Anakin appears
  16. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Man, I love that one! :D Very jaunty and catchy.
  17. Darth-Lutgerous Force Ghost

star 4
    I totally agree. It is catchy.
  18. Wester547 Force Ghost

star 4
    I too agree. It's very subtle, but effective suspense, and totally underrated all at the same time!
  19. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Dum diddle-um dum, dum diddle-um dum...bum bum bum bummmm...bum bum bum bummm, DIDDLE-UM DUM [face_dancing]
  20. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Isn't that Qui-Gon's theme?
  21. Darth-Lutgerous Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think so. Qui-Gon's theme sounds different.
  22. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I might just be mixed up about what bit you are talking about. Do you have a track number and time I can look at?
  23. Darth-Lutgerous Force Ghost

star 4
    I think you can find it on track 13 of the Ultimate Phantom Menace Soundtrack called Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan Rescue the Queen, if not I'll try to find it for you after school.
  24. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ah, right you are. My memory serves me poorly.

They are of a similar mood, though. :p
  25. Darth-Lutgerous Force Ghost

star 4
    Glad you found it. Similar? [face_thinking]
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.