Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by RurouniKJS, Sep 17, 2005.
This is always the problem of discussing music without the actual music present
There are too may moments to remember, but one of my favorites will always be the short portion 2:58 into Imperial Attack where all the prisoners - soldiers and droids alike - are shown being marched, hands behinds heads, to the command center. I don't know what it is - the driving, straightforward rhythym, the chords - but this nervous, tortured little section suits the picture so perfectly.
Oh yeah! I love that bit... I think it is moments like that that set apart the ANH score from the rest.
I was listening to my 2 disc set of TPM, and I love the music played during the scene where Anakin says to Qui Gonn "you're a Jedi Knight aren't you?" The music during that whole exchange is so beautiful. Phantom Menace really had an exceptional score.
The music they play during Empire when Yoda says 'difficult to see...always in motion is the future'. Love that piece. Then when Luke is packing his ship to leave Dagaobah, esecially when Obi Wan hold up his hands and says 'Luke! Don't give in to hate... ' that whole exchange. When I listen to my cds I can practically see the scenes.
My 7 year old brothers favorite cue is when Luke yells out "NOOO!!!"When DV tells him hes gonna turn Leia to the DS. I think thats the darkside beckons..is it not?
My little brother says he likes it because the theme, and the dark tone and the people (courus) singing the theme.
The very end of Anakin's theme. Those last three notes are from the 'Imperial March'.
Not exactly an 'understated' moment, but - the awesome version of the Imperial March that plays while Palpatine and co are watching the Grand Army of the Republic load onto proto star destroyers at the end of AOTC. Makes me want to blow out my speakers.
As far as I can tell, it's not a theme, and it's not very understated, it's over the entire film.
my sentiments exactly
I hated it in the theater during the first re release of ESB, everyone (nonfans) got up and left as the credits started. AAAAGGGHHH!!! This is where some really great stuff begins, especially the last score in the movie at the end of the credits, used again for the E2 trailer. That is a fine pinnacle, though I don't know if it would have sounded better in the same place at the end of ROTJ credits.
I got some more to add to my list:
These are all from ROTS:
- The music while The Invisble Hand is plummeting towards Coruscant. Yes, it's from TPM and the ROTS teaser trailer, but it really fits the scene, and the force theme cue in the middle of it is great.
- The music from when Obi Wan leaves Coruscant with the Rupublic fleet.
- When Obi Wan arrives on Utapau, until when his ship takes off. (My favorite of all of these)
- The music when Yoda climbs onto Chewies back. This wasn't on the soundtrack for some reason, even though it is right in the middle of 'Anakins Betrayal' on the film
- The little bit of 'Across the Stars' when Padme arrives on Mustafar and is looking sad
You are so right. Did you ever notice that the red lights blink in time to the music?
For the prequel trilogy. My favorite 'bit' or moment. That is not among the often mentioned ones. It is the statement of Yoda's theme just before Yoda tells Obi-wan that Anakin will be his Padawan. The one that is an arial shot of the window.
I think my favorite understated bit was in TPM when Qui-Gon was fighting Darth Maul. You could really hear Qui-Gon's theme in that, one of the few places in the soundtrack of TPM other than where he was riding the eopies where it really stood out.
Also you'll notice in Anakin's theme that Darth Vader's theme is woven through at the very end -- a fantastic bit of foreshadowing
1. When Luke discovers his twin sister is Leia. Nice to hear her theme. Then the transition to the Rebel Fleet with a great burst from the brass.
2. The cue that immediatly follows 'Anakins Betrayal' when the young Jedi appears.
3. In ROTS the cue that starts when the chicken walkers are searching for Obi-Wan and continues up until his departure fom Utapau. Great theme.
4. There's a piece of music that underscores the scene when Luke tells Ben he can't go with him to Alderaan. One of my favorites. I Could never connect it to any other piece of music in the SW movies (not that it has to be), but now I find it to be in the same vein as 'Anakins Betrayal' and 'Immolation Scene'. Both of which seem set apart from most of the music for SW, but no less great.>
I'd have to go with this one, as well. It foreshadows so much (even though every fan knows what is going to happen).
My favorite was in the piece "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" on the ROTS soundtrack; as well as Battle of the Heroes, JW also put in the same piece played during the ESB duel between Luke and Darth Vader. Very nice foreshadowing.
I was watching the battle over Coruscant yesterday, and I noticed that the piece "Tie Fighter Attack" from ANH was used. Besides all the duel pieces, this is my favorite action theme in the Saga.
In the OT, I loved the slower main fanfare (Luke's Theme) playing as he goes down to clean the droids, and just before the Binary Sunset cue.
This was probably the one peice of music from ROTS that NO ONE talks about. One of my favorites, a nice variation of Imperial March, and very different from anything from Star Wars. Perhaps some of The Lost World comes to mind?
He means the Rebel Fanfare.
"Get 'em R2!"
da da, dun, da da, dun, da da, dun, dun, dun!
The reprise of "Anakin's Betrayal" prior to The Duel.
Always really liked the 'Droids Theme' in ESB. I think it pops up a little in ROTJ too.
Actually I thought so too, but it was just some Ewok death music.
The statement of Yoda's theme just as he becomes one with the Force. There's a horn solo of his theme with a chime accompaniment which is great.
?? What was?
The Droid theme.