main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Favorite unpopular SW novel?.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King Terak, May 20, 2013.

1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Jedi Academy Trilogy. Two reasons: Kyp Durron, and Admiral Daala.

Kyp might have been a Marty Stu of epic proportions in the series, but he developed into a very interesting Jedi in later books. But my main love comes from Nataasi Daala, the craziest madman to ever try and ram a Star Destroyer into a planet. People hate her for being an over the top, incompetent nutcase. I adore her for being an over the top, incompetent nutcase.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't think (at least nowadays) that people hate her for that. I think people instead would have preferred that that's all she remained, rather than her not only being made space president but people in-universe thinking that was a reasonable idea.

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Well you can thank Frank Miller-I mean, Troy Denning, for that.

4. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I adore Outbound Flight. I also enjoy Deceived.

mJedi775 and Grievousdude like this.
  5. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    I really liked Death Troopers and Red Harvest. I think I liked Red Harvest better because it was all original characters. I didn't know until the end if anybody was going to survive. Whereas Death Troopers had two major characters of the OT and therefore I knew they would survive.

6. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I really liked Cestus Deception and Death Troopers. While I hated LotF having Jacen turn dark, some books in that series were pretty entertaining too.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Red Harvest and Jedi Trial.

8. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I'm partial to Red Harvest. I dunno if Black Fleet constitutes an unpopular trilogy, but if so, that too. Lastly, Dark Empire and The Force Unleashed. Though not the novel TFU, just the game. Dunno if those count!

9. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    I still can't fathom why everybody seems to hate Kevin J Anderson's books. I loved both the jedi academy trilogy and Darksaber, Planet of Twilight and children of the jedi were so bad that i couldn't force myself to read them. Until i really started posting on the Lit forums, i had no idea people disliked KJA's novels.

VanishingReality likes this.
  10. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    I will stand by Jedi Apprentice: The Rising Force with my dying breath. For a kid's book, it was pretty damned good.

Grievousdude likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    As a piece of literature, I was not impressed by Courtship of Princess Leia, but there was so much utterly ridiculous funny stuff that I have to say I enjoyed it.

VanishingReality and Gamiel like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I like The New Rebellion. There. I karking said it! :p

13. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    I just read Decieved, and really enjoyed it. The conclusion to Eleena's storyline was rather irritating and the pacing was terrible, but the characters were really well-written, it had an interesting take on disability in the GFFA that we haven't really seen since YJK and some of the best descriptions of Force use I've read from anyone who isn't Stover, Luceno or Sean Stewart.

In the case of Star by Star, I don't necessarily agree with a lot of plot choices that were made and the whole mission to Myrkyr still doesn't make sense to me (seriously, where the kriff was Kyle Katarn for the whole YV war? He'd have been perfect for killing the Voxyn!), the execution is brilliant, especially the Fall of Coruscant.

I also liked Jedi Trial and Cestus Deception, although that might just be because they, along with Yoda: Dark Rendezvous were the first EU books I got after Stover's ROTS novelisation (yes, I'm a newbie).

14. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Is The New Rebellion unpopular?! Honestly, looking at the Bantam Era, that's always ranked rather high on my list of novels/standalones. Worst I can say about it is that the villain was talked about as if he was as strong as Palpatine, which I found a tad ridiculous. Despite that however, he had a solid plan and posed a credible threat to the New Republic. Beyond that, Luke, Lando, Han, Leia, every single one of them had their own arcs throughout the story that merged and diverged at various points, but each was well done and the characters were portrayed well. Only other complaint I may have is that the ending was a little anticlimactic, with Leia shooting the guy and all.

15. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    BFC is one of my absolute favourites, though I would say that the trilogy is divisive, not unpopular. I also loved the Jedi novels by Jude Watson set between episode I and II.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A lot of people on here don't like it. I love it. I can get so into it.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I loved the books in the Jedi Apprentice series that I used to get from the library. I'd get a new one every week. Good times.

18. mJedi775

mJedi775 Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2013
    I thought the Jedi Academy Trilogy wasn't that bad seeing how it was years before we got the Prequel Trilogy and only then got to see how Jedi did thing in the olden days. Sure I noticed all the quotes being thrown in from the first three movies (like Daala saying "Dantooine is too remote for an effective demonstration") but I still enjoyed it.

19. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    I guess two stories I like that others don't are New Rebellion and the Dark Nest Trilogy. New Rebellion I like for a couple of reasons, the biggest probably being Luke's characterization. He really puts a lot of effort into trying to redeem Brakiss and Dolph, and even though he was unsuccessful I like the effect he had on the former. Their lightsaber fight on Telti was kind of lame, but the conversation more than made up for it, with Brakiss trying to help Luke despite himself. I haven't read YJK, but I somehow doubt they made the guy half as poignant as Rusch did here. Among more minor things, I also thought it was interesting that Borsk Fey'la is actually something of a good guy here. It's pretty unprecedented in terms of Borsk's characterization, but I think it was an interesting direction to take, since I don't feel like he would want to oppose Leia when it's not actually in his best interests to do so. It's always good to have backstabbing politicians who know when to tone the treachery back a bit. Oh, and the twist at the end with Dolph's true face was a clever twist. That sort of 'banality of evil' thing goes very well with the (otherwise excessive) Nazi motif that the book was going for.

Dark Nest Trilogy is probably harder to defend, but I'd start by pointing out that it's nowhere near as pessimistic or cynical as LOTF or FOTJ. The galactic crisis of the week is actually stopped before it can really get out of control, and Luke actually succeeds in redeeming someone, something I don't think he's succeeded at since Kyp Durron (which is all I'm saying about that for the moment). Other than that, I kind of enjoy the novelty of villains that aren't an overpowering monolithic force like the Empire or the Vong. The Dark Nest is only able to accomplish anything by taking advantage of crime and corruption inside GFFA society, taking advantage of unorthodox procurement methods to get military equipment for themselves, to say nothing of how they hijacked the Admiral Ackbar. Speaking of that, I also liked the idea of the arrogant prima-donna B'wuatu getting his flagship captured out from under him, forcing him to be a bit less full of himself in the future. DNT is just a very different kind of Star Wars story, and I'd say it's executed decently, especially compared to what came afterwards.

20. Krusty the Clone

Krusty the Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2013
    Jedi Academy
    I just now realized that was unpopular. I thought it was great.