main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite Video Game cutscene?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Siths_Revenge, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That cutscene in the first Ghost Recon were you get the background of the conflict. "It is the year 2008. Russia has fallen under the sway of the Ultra-Nationalists, a political party with dreams to bring back the might of the Soviet Union. Tanks have rolled into the Baltics and the world on the brink of war. For one group, the war has allready started. 1st battalion, D company, their silence has earned them the name, the Ghosts. (Dramtic drumbeat)"

Oh yeah. This has been one of my perennial favorites-gotta love the Rssians marching in the rain bit.

Although the opening cutscene to Kill Zone is quite cool too. :D

2. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    My favorites are:

Opening Cutscene of X-Wing Alliance
    Cutscene #1 from X-Wing Alliance (Not today, bootlicker!)
    Opening Cutscene from Balance of Power and the ending cutscenes from Balance of Power

Non Star-Wars
    Frogfucious' revealing Mallow's destiny from Super Mario RPG. Moving and funny at the same time.

ANY cutscene from Beyond Good and Evil, but especially the latter ones before the ending one. The invasion of the lighthouse. Pey'j's death and resurrection. Raw human emotion. That's what makes a good cutscene, not fancy graphics and lighting effects. Wonderful story, though the payoff was a bit lackluster.
    Though I have to say, Jade's rooftop escape from the Alpha Sections is a cinematic masterpiece. The thing looks like a movie but you are still able to play as Jade as you make her jump over rooftoops. Excellent framing, depth of field and focus from just about every shot in the sequence. This game should have been a system seller for the Game Cube.

From Ocarina of Time:
    Link's dream
    Hyrule's creation
    The ending

Good ones from Majora's Mask
    Anju finds her true love after you complete her mask quest.
    The ending cutscene, especially the last breif but poignant scene of the deku butler and his son's grave site.

Wind Waker
    The first confrontation with Ganondorf.
    The reveal of Hyrule Castle and its Link statue frozen in time.
    The ending cutscene.

The opening cutscene from Zero Wing.

3. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001

Oh yes.

4. JediStu2

JediStu2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2003
    Great Cutscenes:

Jedi Outcast - Before you fight Admiral Fyyar on his starship, in his suit, he goes on in on about the might of the Empire and Kyle finishes his sentence for him with "...your shields will fall!"

Almost every cutscene in Resident Evil 3.

And everyone from Spider-Man for the PS1.

5. Darth_Pillow

Darth_Pillow Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2004
    Have to agree with most of you, anything from Blizzard is great. Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne have to be my favourite though.

Also, JK and KOTOR.

Recently, i haven't been able to stop laughing at most of the San Andreas cutscenes.

6. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Although the opening cutscene to Kill Zone is quite cool too.

Best, cutscene, ever.

7. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    Me: KotOR 1 scene w/o Malak's jaw, quite spooky and in Super Smash Bros: Melee's intro, where the Attack of the Yoshis came. :D

8. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Overall, I have to say that, like many, I enjoy any cutscene from Blizzard's games. My favorite, though, is the one where Arthas betrays his father.

"What... what are you doing?"

"Succeeding you, father."

Awesome stuff. :D

Most recently, my favorite has to any scene with Ocelot in MGS3. It's just so bad*** how he does all that gun twirling stuff. I really want to learn how to do that. It'd be a great party trick. :p

9. Capt_Page

Capt_Page Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    Once again, Jedi Knight, especially the Dark Side ending where Kyle crushes the holo of his father and the scene (also on the Dark Side path) where you kill Jan. Both always seemed rather unnerving to me. I also thought some of the Jedi Academy cutscenes were pretty funny, especially the one where Kyle says, "You didn't offend me. I've been offended by professionals!"

Non-Star Wars, I'd have to nominate the opening cutscenes from Mechwarrior 3 and 4. 4 was especially good, as like JK, it was shot with live actors.

10. NateDanger

NateDanger Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 16, 2002
    Frogfucious' revealing Mallow's destiny from Super Mario RPG. Moving and funny at the same time.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Awesome choice Janz_Walker! I always loved that game. :D

My favorites:

Red Alert 2 (PC)
    I thought (and still do think!) that the opening cutscene to this game is incredible. It drew me in the moment I saw it. RA2 is my favorite PC game of all-time. [face_love]

Final Fantasy 7
    The FMV cut-scenes for FF7 were breathtaking when the game first came out, but my favorite scenes are actually 'in-game-rendered' ones: when summoning "Knights of the Round" and when Sephiroth summons "Supernova." Yeah, they were both long and got annoying after seeing them a few times but when watching each one for the first time I was totally blown away. :)

11. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Yeah Armed and Dangerous cutscenes are hilarious, along with some of the ones from The Bard's Tale (the recent one).

Halo
    Your 1st introduction to the Flood

Halo 2
    Can't think of a specific one, but they're good.

There's more, just can't think of them right now.

12. CuPc4k3

CuPc4k3 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2004

Oh yes.

In case anyone hasnt heard of this heres a link to the video.

http://www.allyourbasearebelongtous.com/flash/

:)

I liked the opening to Rainbow Six, when I first got it on the dreamcast.

FFXI intro was pretty good also, although it is hardly emphasized(sp?) in the first 30 levels of the game.

I must say I liked Super Mario 64's ending the best though because I remember how many hours I logged into that to get all 120 stars before I fought bowser.

13. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    The sarcastic ****er within me just yearns to say something in response to introducing AYBABTU as if it were not already ubiquitous.

But instead, I'll just state that some cool cutscenes include the opening to TIE Fighter, the first cutscene in XWA, the intro to Red Alert 2, and ending of C&C.

Teh b00m, White House!

14. Darth_Ape

Darth_Ape Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2004
    Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes:

1. The scene when Snake first meets Ocelot

2. The first appearance of the Ninja

15. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Pffft!

Nonsense!

We all know the bestest cut scene of them all was in "Adventure", when you finally return the black trophy like thing back to its rightful castle!

16. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    It is hard to pick just one. I have it narrowed down to three I think.

The first being from an old, old game. Out of this World. The opening sequence is great. I think it was one of the first cinematic style openings. The graphics are incredibly dated, but it sets the mood for the story and feels like a movie. It was great.

The second would be the FF VII cutscene where they are breaking out of shinra hq. With Cloud on his motorcycle and the rest in that truck. It was great.

The third is more recent, and it's an ending actually. The end of Xenosaga 1. It tied up the game really, really well. It was also great to look at and had awesome music. It just felt great to watch and had me really wanting to get the second game, for which I am waiting still...

17. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    In all seriousness, I would have to throw in the ending to Phantasy Star 2 as well as Nei's death, which preceeded the FF7 death scene even though many gamers like to think FF7 was the first to kill off a lead character so early in the game. There have been deaths in console RPG's before, but mostly lesser supporting characters.

Also, the cut scenes in FFX. Too many to name. I love that game and it had such amazing artwork and the cuts were just amazing. One that stands out is when Yuna walks on water and performs the sending.

The FF8 opening movie was amazing. Enough said. Perfect music too.

And as holed filled and rushed the ending was, i do have to give a nod to FF7's ending.

Also like to mention the ending to Wind Waker. Man, the game had a lot of great scenes... but the ending, when you impale the Master Sowrd in Ganon's forehead... wow... took my breath away.

Xenosaga, also agree, had some amazing ones. The ending sequence was amazing and so was the sequence when Kos-Mos finally reveals herself and also the sequence where she goes out into space and lets the aliens have hell.

Also, the ending to Super Mario Brothers 2. I love that one.

18. SweetCuppinCakes

SweetCuppinCakes Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2004
    Metal Gear Solid 3 - Pretty much every scene from the motorcycle chase on.

Katamari Damacy - Opening movie is trippy (mushrooms galore!) and the song gets stuck in your head.

GTA: San Andreas - Pretty much any cutscene with CJ and Woozie or Mike Toreno, hilarious.

19. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Panzer Dragoon Saga.

The entire opening sequence, as Edge helps out with a monster in the mine, Crayman's fleet attacks the miners, the Imperial Capital is destroyed, and Edge is shot by Zastava when chasing after Azel.

20. pgoodyea

pgoodyea Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2004
    A couple of scenes come to mind:

1) The opening movie for Killzone.

2) The opening movie for Splinter Cell on the Gamecube

3) The trailer for KOTOR, especially the scene where Malak is using force lightning on Bastila. Lots of emotion for a video game. I like it when Malak says "child".

4) The part where Sin destroys Zanarkind in FFX.

Oh yeah, that scene where the flood attacks the marines in Halo 1 is good, but it is the biggest rip off of the scene in Aliens when the marines first get attacked by the aliens and they are pretty much wiped out except for Hudson, Hicks, and Vasquez. Actually, almost everything cool about Halo 1 was stolen from Aliens. Thankfully, if you are going to steal ideas that is a great place to go.

21. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Pretty much all of them from Virtual Sex with Jenna Jameson

22. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    a European PC game called Independence War. It has a 28 minute long movie separate from the game that tells the story of the death of the previous captain of your vessel.

then in the second mission, the in-game cutscene of the dead captain's mind as an AI in your ship's computer.

Would you dig up my grave?
    What?
    I said, would you dig up my grave?
    Who are you?
    Because of this, because of me... I'm dead, but would they let me rest in peace! Oh no! They had to make this facsimilie of my brain and shove it in this ship's computer.
    Hey, you're Captain Jefferson Clay!
    Well that took you long rookie. I swear the kids these days. I shouldn't even bother with you.
    So you're not going to help us?
    Did I say that? No. But I am going to play it like a computer. Stupid dumb-*** questions in, stupid smart-*** comments out. Now if you ask me a question that doesn't insult my intelligence and experience I daresay I'll force a civil answer out of myself

Awesome strong opening scene for the sacrifice of this captain, and then he has an attitude when he "wakes up". Just perfect storytelling.

23. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    My favorite is the end cutscene of Final Fantasy VII with the lifeforce combining with Holy to save the day.

24. Corran-Horn

Corran-Horn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2004
    Can I just say: "All your base are belong to us." ;)

Honestly though, some of the best cutscenes I've seen have come from the Jedi Knight Series, X-Wing Series, and Final Fantasy.

Oh yeah! Can't forget about Half-Life 1 and 2. Even though they're not really "cutscenes" per say, they're still great. The ending of the first Half-life with the G-man was great, as is the opening run through the base. Plus, in 2, the ride through the Citadel is simply breathtaking.

~Corran

25. Light-Side-Addict

Light-Side-Addict Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2005
    I like the cutscene for halo 2 the ending cutscene:

i love the last words said

CONTAINS SPOILERS TO PEOPLE WHO HAVNT FINISHED HALO 2

MC:"Going to end this fight" If u went ahead and read it anyway and u havnt beaten halo 2 dont complain if i ruined it in anyway it wasnt my fault i put a spoiler warning in COLOR but i think EVERY1 has beaten halo 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.