main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Favorite Villains in Fictional Literature

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I saw the character thread and decided to make this. Sauron is pretty awsome, and of course any number of the Darths.

-The Scummy-

2. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    As far as Tolkien villains go, Morgoth could have Sauron for breakfast. It's very hard to take the Flaming Eye seriously once you know that back in the First Age of Middle-Earth he was just one of Morgoth's seconds.

Metatron, from The Amber Spyglass, is pretty nasty.

Rakoth Maugrim from The Fionavar Tapestry is a complete rip-off of Morgoth, but still an interestingly evil character. :)

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Nalar the mad god owns all.

His ultimate aim is to sow chaos and disorder where ever he can using minions who are allied to him (often without their knowledge) once you let Nalar into your conscious you can never be rid of him as well so once your evil you'll always be evil.

The only way he could be controlled by the other controller gods was to bury him on an uninhabited planet underneath a planet sized mountain whilst he was exhausted.

This is the god who killed off most of the creator gods and left the heavens in such disarray that you have the god of theives covering for the god of knowledge.

Read Feist books for more info, he's that bad no one knew about him till the end of the second major war.

4. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

Mrs Coulter and the golden monkey daemon in the first two books of His Dark Materials are both quite upsetting villains. That monkey... *shudders*

Other than that, I'm quite fond of Torak from the Belgariad (David Eddings), and oddly enough, his stooges Ctuchik and Zedar.

Oh, and I nearly forgot the Auditors from Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Hilarious.

5. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Dr. Doom :D

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    My favorite Villains:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Daala (I remember I used to have a crush on her... is this weird?)

Lord Voldemort

Saruman

Grima Wormtongue

The White Witch

Tywin Lannister

Cersei Lannister

Joffrey Lannister

Ser Ilyn Payne

More some other time...

7. DarthSparhawk

DarthSparhawk Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    Besides Darth Sidious, who is my all-time fave villain, I also like Asharak the Murgo from "The Belgariad", Murmandamus from "the Riftwar Saga", Rimmer Dall and the Reaper from the "shannara" series, Markwart and de Unnero from "Demon Wars" saga by R. A. Salvatore...

8. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Gerald Tarrant from CS Friedman's The Coldfire Trilogy. He's the perfect evil gentleman with an ego boasted of pride after hundreds of years of plotting and fooling the good guys. Also, there's a strong trait of vanity in his personality.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Shows me how much I have not read, I have not heard of most of these characters so far.

One of Conan's antagonists, Thoth-Amon, is a cool fantasy vilain.

Lord Soth from Dragonlance. Though the situation of his fall is different, this character makes me understand Darth Vader better.

Hamanu from D&D Dark Sun, The Dragon King, The Lion King, The King of the World.

The Joker, especially as portrayed in The Killing Joke.

Most of my other favs would not be in written form, but in films.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Kahn Noonian Singh! Greg Cox has done a brilliant job fleshing this classic Trek villian out in his trillogy!

11. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Mrs Coulter and the golden monkey daemon in the first two books of His Dark Materials are both quite upsetting villains. That monkey... *shudders*

Oh yes took the words right out of my mouth. That woman and her daemon are something else.....Evil i say Evil!!!

12. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Off the top of my head; Professor Moriarty, Iago, Victor Von Doom, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, The Joker, and of course the greatest villainous character ever conceived, Satan, El Diablo, Lord of the Flies, Beëlzebub, all of the incarnations.

13. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    The Joker. He's not just evil--he's crazy too, which makes him unpredictable. Except by Batman, who is just a little crazy too.

~Carr

14. Katieelessar

Katieelessar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    I would have to choose Achillies from the Shadow Series by Orson Scott Card. He was one bad boy. :mad:

15. Obi-Ron42

Obi-Ron42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    [image=http://home.earthlink.net/~ronsuploads3/doomtest.jpg]

My costume last Halloween

16. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Sauron - LOTR

Voldemort - Harry Potter

White Witch - Narnia TMK and LWW

Grendel - Beouwlf

The Suitors - The Odyssey

17. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Oh yes, it's all about Mrs. Coulter and her golden monkey!

Scary and enviable, all at the same time. Freaky to no end.

As for Beowulf, I thought Grendel's mommy was way worse than Grendel.

Also the Black Riders, they were great. The Balrog from LOTR also gave me nightmares for years - the book one in my own twisted imagination, not the wimpy-ass movie Balrog.

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Cersei Lannister; the dark god Naar and his minions the Darklords; the Transcedent One from PS:T.

19. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Smaug in The Hobbit. He's really mean. And the Ringwraiths in LOTR.

20. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    The Hound- Fire and ice series GRR Martin

21. SilentSpeaker

SilentSpeaker Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    Besides my favourite SW ones...

Okay don't laugh :)P)- Captn. James Hook has always been a favourite.
    -Dracula (Stoker's, not any of the other nock off vampires)
    -Milady (of The 3 Musketeers fame, if we're counting Hst. lit)- some "woman"! Arguably the greatest female villain of all!
    -Oh and uh Lucifer, Morningstar, that "man of wealth and taste",etc.(what gabe said)in most of his incarnations.

(I would also count Walter o'Dim from King's Dark Tower series cause he was kind of funny, in an annoying kind of way)

22. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I forgot about Grendel's mother. Made her little baby :p look like an O:)

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've always liked the Chosen 13 in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, especally Asmodean or however it's spelled. Roger of Conte in Tamora Pierce's boks and Lady Oonagh in Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters Trilogy were pretty creepy, as are the ringwraiths.

24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Sauron was a decent villain in the Lord of the Rings, but I found Wormtongue and Saruman far more interesting, even as little they appeared.

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Sauron was just an eye, but his he control still put fear into the souls of middle-earth with just his essence. Saruman and Wormtongue I do agree are multi-dimesional. Saruman is a fallen wizard full of greed and Wormtongue is torn between his loyalties to Theoden (in the film) and to Saruman and his infatuation with Eowyn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.