main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite Villian

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Whats your favorite villian from any era? Mine would be Grand Admiral Thrawn.

My other favorites are Darth Bane, Exar Kun, Tsavong Lah, and Nom Anor.

Who are yours?

2. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    The Emperor

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Darth ***** Vader.

4. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Thrawn undoubtebly, he was a villien who you had to love.

5. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Starting from PT to NJO era's they are:
    PT:palpatine
    OT:Vader
    EU:Thrawn
    NJO:Nom Anor

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Oh ya, I forgot to mention, all sith from the movies.

7. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Vader

Why Thrawn was not a great baddie, copied almost verbatim from mein this thread:
    I must disagree about Thrawn. I found him to be a particularly awfully done villain, insulting to my intelligence. He constantly made leaps of logic that were so convoluted even those closest to him kept thinking, "I have no idea why he's doing it or how he came to these conclusions, but he's always right so this time he must be as well." I don't want to hear that it's just because he's such a smart guy. Studying a sample, even a large sample, of human art will NOT give you a psychological profile of the human race such that you can understand any strategy or tactic made by any human. And while I appreciate authors and by extension villains who are smarter than I, I find it hard to believe based on the textual events that Thrawn could be anything but omiscient. Neither he nor the text backs up how he reaches his conclusions, and we don't get inside his head. He just makes a statement or a "guess," and bang-poof, he's right and has outwitted the NR again.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I can't imagine another villian that from scene one of the first day the movie was released, with no one knowing anything about him or the movie, was booed.

That's right... the man who hunted and killed 99.44% of the Jedi... the man who was more machine, now, then man... the man who was dead "from a certain point of view"... the man, the myth, the legend...

Darth "Luke, I am your father" Vader. The baddest man in the whole dang town...

9. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Shedao Shai. That guy was a brilliant military strategist, a consummate warrior, and just all around intelligent. He was an extremely cultured villain who I thought really brought life to the stories he was in.

JMA

10. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Palpatine. He is the man. :)

11. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    Niles Ferrier, a good baddie is one you really hate.

12. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Interesting. Gotta go with Thrawn on this one...

Everyone seems to think of the poor guy differently than I do.

The truth is that Thrawn is nearly always right-but that comes from something other than art, or mystical premonition.

Thrawn never said that every action someone would take was dictated by their own or their species' art. He said that by studying the art, he could study the indivual, the species, whomever produced it.

Art in its purest form is often a window, a glimpse into the subconcious of its creator. And the subconcious often controls how decisions are made. So in an indirect way, an individual with enough insight might be able to come to a much better understanding of the individual/species/what have you, by studying their art.

This study was enough for Thrawn to conclude how differnet species/individuals would react to specific types of tactical stimuli. Thus, he learned how to force a decision on an individual or species that would serve his own ends.

Thrawn's true genius came in his ability to eliminate an enemy's options until they would logically make the decision he wanted them to make.

Thats the way it seems to me anyway.

A galaxy without a tremendous prodigy here and there would be a rather boring one, in my opinion. (Take the NJO without Anakin, for instance...)

13. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    Also, many of his "guesses" were based on delta source.

14. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Betting on anyone other than Vader in a fight is a sure way to blow all your cash. Thrawn? Puh!-We'll see how his genius mind goes blank when he's faced to face with a Sith! Exar Kun? Sure, get the bloke in the ring with the chosen one, the guy who defeated the most sucessful Sith, Sidious, and see how he fares.
    The greatest villian of them all has more to fuel his actions than a petty alligiance to an Emporer or the heritage of the Sith; he lost everything he ever loved-- mother, wife, children, and his soul. Now tell me, honestly, is there any sith who is as angry as Vader? Heres a hint, Darth Maul found out the answer in Star Wars Tales.

15. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    At least Thrawn managed to remain on one side, which as I remember Vader failed to do TWICE?

16. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    As a bit of an after thought I thought I'd post who I see as the most sucessful sith lords:

1)Darth Sidious

2)Darth Bane

3) Darth Vader

17. DarthDatorri

DarthDatorri Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2001
    Exar Kun, and I also like the political villian that is Palpatine

18. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    Darth Vader

When I was a kid, he actually scared me. He was evil.

19. VeGeX

VeGeX Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2001
    Darth Vader and Grand Admiral Thrawn

20. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
  21. FatesAngelJessi

FatesAngelJessi Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2002
    Well..hes not really a villian...but I'd vote for Zekk. Even though he turned back I really liked him better as a dark jedi. But right after Zekk comes Darth Vader. And then Mara Jade (she was kinda evil too) and then Exar Kun.

22. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Who's the only guy to keep Vader in check? Could simply sneer and cause Thrawn to wilt? Grand Moff Tarkin.

23. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    Oooh! How could I over look Tarkin? Really great villian. Had all of the charm and charisma of Chris Lee and although he was only featured in one film, he left a lasting impression that has echoed through out the rest of the series.

24. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Palpatine. Look at his body of work. Overthrew a government and oppressed billions.

25. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Palpatine. Look at his body

[face_plain] [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.