Favorte Science Fiction book other than Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Bigshet, Jun 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigshet Jedi Knight

star 1
    What is your favorite Science Fiction book other than Star Wars? And favorite Science fiction auther?

Mine is Ender's Game by Orson Scott card
  2. ImperialGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    "Dragonsdawn" or the short story collection "Get Off the Unicorn!" by Anne McCaffrey. (Yes, those are sci-fi, NOT fantasy!)

Also have a soft spot for "I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov.
  3. Mos_Eisleian_Radio FanForce CR Secretary Chicago IL US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Dune by Frank Herbert.

Phil
  4. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    the shadowrun series of books, multiple authors, but the Michael Stackpole book Wolf and Raven is the best
  5. Darth_Duck Force Ghost

star 4
    Personally, the "Star Trek: New Frontier" series by Peter David, the best Sci-Fi franchise author ever.
  6. Matthew Trias Force Ghost

star 6
    I love the New Frontier series.It's excellent.*Sigh*I wish Peter David would write an NJO book.
  7. Snubfighter_Jock001A Jedi Knight

I must say that the new fronteir books are good. I got the first one as a gift and got hooked, but im with phil on this one, Dune is the best. I just got House Harkonnen yesterday and am loving it.
  8. Art_Core Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dune by Frank Herbert.
  9. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    A favorite is too difficult to pick.
    I will list some.
    Dune, The foundation trilogy,
    Asimov's robot books.
    Larry Nivin's books.
  10. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    I might initially list Dune by Herbert, but that is rather readily divinable.

However, I would go so far as to indicate the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons, Rendezvous With Rama and Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, From the Teeth of Angels by Jonathan Carroll, Steel Beach by John Varley, Neal Stephenson's magnum troika of Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon, and my personal favorite, a work re-read at least once every other year, A Canticle For Leibowitz, by Walter M. Miller, Jr., as my perennial preferences in genre prose.

All are well worth checking out.
  11. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    LetoII,

Canticle for Lebowitz, great book. I read that many years ago. I forgot about that one.
  12. Kenix Kil Jedi Knight

star 1
    Either DS9 Avatar series or Robert Aspin's Phule's Company. Just curious but how many people on here have read the Phule's Company books?
  13. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's a decider between Kevin J Anderson's "Blindfold" and Timothy Zahn's "The Icarus Hunt". I have considered reading "Dune" but the first book isn't at my local library at the moment so I'm waiting to borrow it.
  14. DaJames Force Ghost

star 4
    Lord of the Rings hands down. J.R.R Tolkien was a legend.
  15. Bigshet Jedi Knight

star 1
    Except LOTR also a favorite of mine is more Fantasy than Science Fiction. And Star Wars is close to fantasy, but is still more Sci-fi. LOTR is a good trilogy. Can't wait for the movies to come out.
  16. Asyr Handor Jedi Master

star 4
    I loved The Icarus Hunt. Excellent book. Dune is good as well. :)

World and Raven....great stuff. But, I'm rather partial towards Timothy Zahn and Michael A. Stackpole anyway. :)
  17. Lordban Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  18. Emperor Sebulba Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd have to say The Jade Falcon series from Battletech is really good.
  19. Mecca-Don Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'll go with Peter David's ST: TNG novel, Vendetta. Dune would be my second choice.
  20. Emperor Sebulba Jedi Knight

star 1
    LotR is NOT Sci-Fi, it is fantasy...
  21. I-poodoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually Emp. sebulba if you wanna be picky Star Wars itself is closer to Fantasy than Sci-Fi.
    That's why most of my favorite books tend to be Fantasy books after SW. I want stories about fiction (characters, places, events) not stories about science (how its possible for a rocket ship to make it to the moon, or how a robot has these rules so they don't go on a killing spree).

I'm with Bigshet, fave Sci-fi book is Ender's Game. It's too bad Card would never write a SW book.

Fave Fantasy book is The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan, with Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule in second place.
  22. Bigshet Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yea card could wright a good Star Wars book. Well I guess I will put my favorite fastnasy book too:
    Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
    or
    Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R Tolkien
  23. Emperor Sebulba Jedi Knight

star 1
    I never said Star Wars didn't have Fantasy elements. The mythology is what makes star wars so popular, imho. However, I fail to see any science fiction elements in Lord of the Rings, wheras Star Wars at least takes place mostly in a sci-fi environment.
  24. I-poodoo Jedi Master

star 4
    That's true Emp. Sebulba.
  25. Simone Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I have to say that either the Time Machine or War Of The Worlds are my favourite science fiction novels (aside from Star Wars of course!) I think that H.G Wells is my favourite Science Fiction author.

I just bought J.R.R Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings first installment (Fellowship Of The Rings)book and it looks to be taking over my previous favourite Science Fiction novel War Of The Worlds.

I am a 14 girl and I get laughed at because I like to read these sort of books (not to mention Dickens or Wilde books) I just want to know does this happen to you's. Personaly I hate it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.