main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Favourite city/country

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ender Sai, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Luckily for me, my wife speaks fluent French so I didn't have much of a communication/arrogance problem - perhaps in this respect my view of the French is a little more rosy than is the norm.

2. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    People just hate French people because they watched "National lampoons European vacation" and write them on their "people to hate list"

Mostly just morons who learn everything from T.V

3. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I honestly haven't met a single French person in France who was rude or arrogant. I took the time to learn the basics (and I am really terrible at languages) and everyone was understanding. We were staying in a small village on the north coast once and had asked our hotel manager to call us a taxi to take us to the airport (about a half hour drive away). He rang everyone he could, but there were no taxis available, so he drove us there himself. When we got there, he refused to accept any money until we practically begged him to take a few euro!

And the reason I love Paris so much? The coffee and the boulangeries! And the err, culture too.

4. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    Shopping up the Champs Elysees! And I liked the Paris Opera House. As a former muso student, things like that interest me. And I like Phantom of the Opera. Hmm, reminds me that I must see that again when I go to West End next year. Must also visit Vienna and Salzburg (muso stuff and the Sound of Music :D )

We learnt this song on our Contiki tour while in Austria:
    Doh a beer, I want a beer
    Ray - the man who pours the beer
    Me - the man/woman who drinks the beer
    Far - a long way to the pub
    So, I'll have another beer
    Lah - Lah, lah, lah, lah, lah, lah
    Tea - I'd rather have a beer

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    That's simply not true but generalisations are fun.

The French do have a degree of elitism to them. It's not their only trait but it's certainly borderline defining. There are actually suprisingly more Frenchmen here in Taipei than Australians I believe. My French is OK but I actually speak French with a mild Parisian accent. They get really annoyed if I can't keep up in coversations with them, and you will find what we'd consider a degree of pretension amongst some French, especially in Paris.

Some of you forget the row Australia and France had over the latter's atomic tests in the pacific, which is in part indicative of the French attitude. Everyone blows nukes up underground, France ***** up the pacific. At that point, the French hated us and not the Americans so we bore the brunt of their crap (NZ more, Rainbow Warrior etc).

So, I don't think you're entirely correct Johhhhhangage but you're not entirely wrong either.

E_S

6. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    The problem with France is it's full of French people.

I had a run-in with a French waiter (no joke) when I was there because I couldn't understand he was after a tip. My French is woeful, but so what. You help tourists out if they can't understand the lingedy. Not in France, apparently.

7. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    Wellington, NZ at the moment cause I'm living here at the moment.

can't wait to get to sydney next year.... ;)

-Mel

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You of course know what "wafer thin" means in French, right?

E_S

9. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    a mint?

10. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    **** off, I'm full.

11. DARTH_RAMA

DARTH_RAMA Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    Kialua/Hawaii

12. Viceroy_NuteGunray

Viceroy_NuteGunray Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2005
    I like Britain - Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves! British people shall never be slaves.

But I also like Hong Kong, Japan and especially Australia because that's obviously what country I live in.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It seems the word "favourite" has many meanings... o_O

E_S

14. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    I honestly haven't met a single French person in France who was rude or arrogant.

You see, with me it's quiet the opposite...sadly :(
    Every single French person I met was a snobby bastard and more or less exactly what the typical cliche' shows.
    Ahwell, I'm not one to judge an entire country because of the people I've met, but I still don't know if I want to go there :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.