main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Favourite DOS Games

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MarvinTheMartian, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellorion

Ellorion Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    anyone here remember Eye of the Beholder? Or any of the almost-first-person-perspective games like Nightmare, Ishar 3 or Captive?

Leisure Suit Larry: Land of the lounge lizards is still a favorite. I haven't managed to get full marks for that before. My best I think was 189/212

ANd the HItch hiker's guide to the galaxy game is good too, though I've never managed to finish it. A text based game, but well done. For anyone who's read the series, you have a certain number of moves before the yellow bulldozer trundles over yer house and lie down infront of the bulldozer, then you have a fixed amount of time before the world ends. after that, the game really begins. It has everything from trying to hold your breath in an airlock, fiddling with the controls on a babel fish vending machine, and trying to convince and artificially intelligent sliding door that you yourself are intelligent enough to be let through. That's the part I'm stuck at. I've tried kicking it, but it merely says "Just because you have legs doesn't mean you're a superior being" or some such thing...

2. Clone_Commander_Dude

Clone_Commander_Dude Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2002
    Wow! that sounds really fun! ANy idea where I can get the HHGTTG game??

3. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Did anyone play Supaplex?

Its got this little pac-man looking fella, who eats all these electrons and stuff.

Damm it was fun!!!!

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    where can i download Alley Cat.... we use to play that when i was a little kid. my sister has been bugging me to download it

EDIT: Digger was the game of the century.... the amount of hours i blew away on my 386..... system shock was also great, and the sequel was SWWEEEEETTT

5. Patlabor

Patlabor Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2001
    I've been searching on the net for most these games, and you can find most of them in classic/abandonware sites. If you need a game, PM me and I'll take a look for it.

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Patlabor got me Alley Cat!!!! thanks dude! where in the world is carmen sandiago [cant spell] was good when i was young

7. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    Stunts!!!!!

Loved it! I mean, what a novel idea, enabling the user to create their own stunt park, defying the laws of gravity and all that jazz. A classic. All this talk of DOS games long gone sure does bring back some memories!

8. Clone_Commander_Dude

May 21, 2002
    yeah stunts was a classic! I've still got it too...

9. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Yes, Stunts. :D

10. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Stunts was an all time favourite. Test drive was pretty cool also. But Digger probably tops my list :)

EDIT:
    This site has a massive collection of DOS games:

http://abandonware.universal.av7.net/abandonware.html

11. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    HA!

I've still got the original Where in World is Carmen Sandiego Manual on my table! :D
    I also have the 1992 Almanac guide that came with the game too, impossible to finish without it ;)

12. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Lode Runner
    Lode Runner Mad Monks Revenge
    Stargunner
    Worms I

13. slaveone_2

Jul 1, 2001
    There was a cool 2-player remake of Lode Runner afew years back which rocked too :)

Warcraft and the Jagged Alliance series were cool DOS games too. The best out of the Jagged Alliance series was part 2. Best turn based game ever.

14. Ellorion

Ellorion Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    I have to agree with salveone about Jagged Alliance 2. I liked the attention to tactical and common RPG detail in that. I once shot someone in the head, and the guy lost 47 wisdom, spun around and unloaded his clip into the wall behind him. Stupidity comes quickly to some people.

HHGTTG text based game was produced by Sierra, if that's any help. They also did a similar game called Beuracracy in which, instead of a life metre or whatever, you had a blood pressure scale. You start the game in a home which is about to be reposessed, and you have to go down to the bank and try to convice them to let you pay a little later. When your BP get's too help, an embelism popss in your brain and you die. And you can't type anything beacause it says "Shh! you're dead. Leave me in peace." "You sure are lively for a corpse" or some such thing

Another great alltime game was amoeba invaders. And the Bitmap Bros. - First samurai, Cadaver, Magic Pockets, Chaos engine, etc.

15. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Ahhh Slavey - I was gonna mention Carmen!! I still play the game ;) Its awesome :D

Yeah...I lost my almanac. Fortunetly, the university library has a copy :D I've had it on lone for QUITE some time now!!!!

The very original version of that game was funky - very corny music :p

16. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    both lode runner and lode runner: mad monks revenge are two player slavey :p

17. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    It has to be Wolfenstein 3D, the original and the best.... Dangerous Dave rocked too!

18. slaveone_2

Jul 1, 2001
    Argh, my bad then :D

19. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Stunts was awesome!

All of the Sierra Quest games were cool, ie: Police, Space, Kings Quest... and Leisure Suit Larry! :)

Also, for a really, really old DOS based game... who remembers Karateka!?!?!

Also, the original Prince of Persia was Awesome!!!

20. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Stunts rocked! Ahhh, the many days of my childhood spent designing impossible tracks :D

21. Clone_Commander_Dude

May 21, 2002
    Yeah stunts was awesome. I remember two tracks I built, one was specifically designed to get the Indy 500 car into 'super speed' mode, and the other had jumps that caused the car to go straight up in the air for about a mile! [face_laugh]

22. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    karateka was great... i downloaded that about a week ago.

23. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    What about Street Rods? The classic car game that it was (and the subsequent sequel). I've heard that they've released a new one too!

24. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    one I remember form a long time ago was robocod I liked it lots for somereason

25. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    That was a great facet of Stunts, the whole car drifting in the air for a minute thing, hey Clone_Commander_Dude!

I built this track (and I reveal, somewhat ashamdely, a few months ago) that had the 'super speed' thing, and after that you'd jump over 4 windmills - MAD!

Ah, I'm glad i told someone that, now I can resume being a 'young adult.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.