main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Favourite Harry Potter Film?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Dec 31, 2012.

?

Favourite Harry Potter Film

1. Philosopher's Stone

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Chamber of Secrets

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Prisoner of Azkaban

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  4. Goblet of Fire

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. Order of the Phoenix

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Half-Blood Prince

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  7. Deathly Hallows Part 1

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Deathly Hallows Part 2

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Ummm, no, not the plot. The film changes the wording of Trelawney's prophecy, which were very carefully chosen and cuts out the backstory of the Marauders.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

anyone remember this :p

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    :oops:

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You never know. Just saying

6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    "Ummm," yes, including the plot, which as a film adaptation of the source material is not tied to it by some immutable law. The movie stands on its own as a classic for the ages, it's under no obligation to disclose minor sub-plots from an expansive series of books featuring hundreds of minor characters. Anyway if we're paying attention we learn later that Sirius is Padfoot (OotP), that Peter is Wormtail (GoF), and that the four were close friends (I forget which movie this is shown in). Insofar as it matters to the plot of the film series (which is about Harry Potter and not hundreds of minor characters), it's not a stretch to deduce that James (a Stag) was Prongs and Lupin (a Werewolf) was Moony, and that those four made the map.

As to Trelawney's prophecy, again it's an adaptation. Material is going to be excised. The key elements of the prophecy were retained, and expanded on in OotP.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I should see PoA again sometime, but Deathly Hallows rises far above it in my mind, particularly Part I. Getting away from Hogwarts is essential to its success, and its slower, more understated pace is much more to my liking than most of the rest of the series. That the main actors are all adults by then also helps.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I dunno. I personally felt that PoA just jumped around too much and focused on a lot of characters I didn't care about. Too many introductions, not enough reason to care.

KnightWriter likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. Didn't go into the Marauders. How on Earth are they not important? One is Harry's Father, another is his Godfather, an uncle and the man who betrayed them. Not important? What are you smoking? That's one of the highlights of the book. Instead we got a Shrunken head

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Yeah, it's Cuaron's offbeat and individual sense of humour that gives that film more personality than, well, 90% of modern tentpole films.

11. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I really didn't like Deathly Hallows 2, but mostly because I enjoyed the book and had high expectations. They modified too many important moments, and in doing so slightly changed Harry's character IMO. Also, I'm still upset that some of my friends who haven't read the books got the impression that Snape was Harry's father.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I wish they didn't have Bellatrix explode. Voldemort's fate was alright but there should have been people watching. I liked that they extended the battle. I hated that they made Snape hug Lily in that memory. I hate Snape. If I was Lily I would not forgive him

13. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    The hell is wrong with Snape. The things he could do with that nose.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The only reasons I tolerate Snape are because of Alan Rickman and Joe Moses

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I thought that moment was one of the best in the movies...

[​IMG]

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Best movie is Prisoner of Azkaban. My favorite however is Goblet of Fire.

And I for one love snape, but mainly because of Rickman. The one little memory sequence in DH2 should be enough for anyone wondering why Rickman is a superb actor. I almost got up an clapped in the theatre after that.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    No doubt Rickman is great as Snape but I can't really feel sympathetic to Snape.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He's very flawed, but that's what make him such a great character.

RC-1991 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed. He is the most dynamic character in the series

20. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it does a good job of getting the point across since they couldn't show every single memory Harry saw. However, during the conversation with Dumbledore, Harry says, "Professor, my mother's Patronus was a doe, wasn't it? It's the same as Professor Snape's. It's curious, don't you think?" To which Dumbledore replies, "Actually, if I think about it, it doesn't seem curious at all." Why they chose to include this baffles me, because the phrasing makes people think that there was something romantic between the two. What isn't made clear is that Lily's patronus is a doe because of James Potter. Snape shares it, despite his love for Lily being unrequited.

And I agree that Snape is one of the best characters in the series, albeit far from the most likeable.

21. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Deathly Hallows Part 1. Even though it is mostly set-up, it is done so well, it really takes the time to delve into these characters while they're camped out, while also allowing us to have the action scenes supplied by the undercover mission into the Ministry. The animation of the Deathly Hallows story has also always stuck out to me as cool and unique. I particularly love the moment where Harry and Hermione dance in the tent, which captured friendship about as purely as I have ever seen it on film.

Platelet and KnightWriter like this.
  22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I completely agree with all of that. The animation sequence is really minimalist in its execution, yet also rather original.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Harry Potter 1-7 - We all hate you Snape

Harry Potter 8 - Snape u are awesome

:p :p :p

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Severus Snape is an utterly brilliant subversion of what I call the "Scooby Doo Villain" trope. Think about it: these started out as "kids' books," and for the sinister-looking jerk who despised the protagonist turn out to not only not be the villain, but actually is helping the protagonist? Outstanding!

Also, I'll chime in as another one who shakes his fist at the editorial decision to leave out the importance of the Marauders' identities in PoA. Sure, they explain later that Wormtail = Pettigrew and Padfoot = Black, leaving you to infer the identities of Moony and Prongs, but that's what...two movies later? But the biggest problem with the omission is that you don't get that they all became Animagi as a show of solidarity with their friend, that they're incredibly talented wizards to have been able to become Animagi in secret, and just think about the level of skill they had to have in order to have created the Marauders Map...

25. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    that was one of the things I liked most about the book version of Order of the Pheonix. In the book you really get to spend more time with the characters that make up the order to the point, and they feel more like fully developed characters. Almost, but not quite, to where it almost feels like it is as much their story as it is Harry's. Even more so the memory sequence where Harry gets into Snapes thoughts and we get this little short story about what Harry's dad and friends were like as kids.

Almost makes me wish she'd go back and do prequel books telling these people's story.