main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favourite Non-Star Wars Finale and Credit Music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by darkspine10, May 24, 2017.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Similar to the opening music thread, a thread for your favourite credits suites, or finale music.

The LOTR and Hobbit films always have nice songs in their credits. BTTF also has some awesome renditions of the themes, particularly Part 3.

The finale music of Atlantis: The Lost Empire always gives me chills, especially combined the incredible final shot pulling away to show the entire thriving city.

The end of Star Trek 2009 was good too, bringing back the classic ST theme before blasting into the credits suite.

Temple of Doom has some really great variations of Slave Children's Crusade, which perfectly transitions into Short Round's theme.

So yeah, share you favourites here. :)

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    End credits of the Rocketeer are as beautiful as anything ever written for film, IMO. Cutthroat Island had some really rousing stuff, as did PotC; must be a pirate thing.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'll second the ST 2009 credits were awesome. Giacchino did an outstanding job with the old 1960's Trek theme -- it was still entirely recognizable while thematically sounding like other films today. And it was bombastic in the Jerry Goldsmith-Trek way.

A lot of the Marvel films don't have great or memorable music throughout the film (made moreso by multiple musicians being hired and not reusing character motifs... frustratingly...), but some of the end credit versions of themes are pretty cool. I particularly like Avenger's 2 (granted maybe because it sounded like Elfman's Fable theme...)...

...and Doctor Strange (the theme's played to death in the film but this version blows them all away):

I am also partial to Don Bluth's film endings:

(oh hi Jerry Goldsmith again):

Howard Hand and darkspine10 like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Last of the Mohicans. The whole score is heart-achingly beautiful to me, and when I watch the film I never turn it off until the I've heard the last of the end credits music.

Guidman likes this.
  5. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I hate repeating myself, but when I think about end title music Kitaro comes to mind again, with Heaven & Earth, which I mentioned in the opening music thread. Also great is Temple of Doom. The "Slave Children's Crusade" theme has to be one of Williams' best. And Williams again with the whole finale plus end credits music from E.T. The original Conan is great, again referring to the whole last 15 minutes of the movie. Goldsmith's original ending music for Alien is pretty good, though not used in the movie. I'm sure there are lots more, but these come to mind first. Oh, just remembered yet another Williams score, Born on the 4th of July. Evil Dead II has some nice ending music as well (the first one had a great score also for such a low-budget movie).

Juke Skywalker and Howard Hand like this.
  6. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    I almost forgot Hans Zimmer's Gladiator and The Ring. Not to mention Nino Rota's Romeo & Juliet. That movie has one of the best scores in movie history, it could easily by my personal all-time favorite.

I read that soundtrack was a huge hit among young people in 1968. Anyone remember that one? The movie itself is fantastic as well, but unfortunately was "eclipsed" by the 1996 DiCaprio version.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, I remember that film and the score was beautiful. Never saw the DiCaprio one.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  8. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    My two favorite end credit songs (and probably two of my favorite songs of all-time).

Heat: Moby "God moving over the face of the waters"

Road to Perdition: Thomas Newman "Road to Perdition

I honestly think that the Road to Perdition theme is one of the most beautiful composed pieces ever.

One more too:

Her: Arcade Fire "Dimensions"

9. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    I think you can skip it and not miss anything. It does have its strengths but doesn't even come close to the Zeffirelli version. ;)

10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    ACIV has a great song over the finale and credits:

11. Larsonator

Larsonator Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2016
    The Dark Knight, Man of Steel, X-Men Apocalypse, Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman

12. denilvie

denilvie Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2017
    The music of the end of the Star.Trek of 2009 was my favorite. :)

13. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Close Encounters Of The Third Kind : The Special Edition

I can't be sure if either of these vids cover exactly what I'm talking about as the firewall at work won't let me check them out. So I'll just upload both.

Enjoy.

14. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't really stick around for the credits for movies other than SW, and superhero movies that might have an after credits scene. Even then, I don't really listen to the score if it's not Star Wars.

My all time favorite credits score is Jurassic Park.
    Second favorite credits score would be anything SW.
    Third would be Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
    I would admit the score for the new Star Trek films is pretty good during the credits too.

Now, if we're talking about final scene score/songs, it's entirely different!

For this my #1 is LOTR: Return of the King-well, any of the LOTR movies, really.
    My #2 is Braveheart probably.
    I also enjoy the final scene score for the Harry Potter Movies. My favorite would be Chamber of Secrets by far, but the final scene score for Sorcerer's Stone is also fantastic.
    E.T. must also make this list for me.

As far as songs that close out a film, I'd say my favorite here is any of the three Narnia movies.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  17. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think the most effective I can think of is "Little Blue Flowers" from A Scanner Darkly. Almost devastating by itself, let alone within the context of the film. Although for favorite I'd probably look to another Reeves film and cite the action movie awesomeness of Rage's "Wake Up."

19. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    I know it's the Hobbit and it's already been mentioned but I think it's worth posting.

I can no longer listen to this song because I'll immediately tear up. (Starts at 0:48)

20. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016

If we were talking about final scene music then I would have ET top of that list.

I got choked up the moment I saw E.T. mentioned in that context in your post (as I do every time).[​IMG]

I've tried watching the movie with the sound off during the last 10-15 minutes but I can't not hear the music in my head, and it kills me. :_|

I've tried not looking at the screen for the whole final scene of the film, but I can't not see the movie in my minds eye and it's even more heart-wrenching in that way. [​IMG]

Damn you, John and Steven! [​IMG]

I think there's something in my eye.

21. Binary sunset hermit

Binary sunset hermit Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2017
    All my favourites outside Star wars are still John Williams related. ET as stated above just gorgeous and I love the theme to Schindlers list. Outside of John willliams, Howard shore and his beautiful score to the lord of the rings, fellowship of the ring.

Williams and shore do some of the most wonderful descriptive music ever written. Really gets you involved on what is happening on the screen.

Martoto77 likes this.
  22. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, for all its flaws (though I kinda like it), has a fantastic JW score, and the final scene + end credits are probably my favourite non-SW closing credits sequence. Irina's theme feels so powerfully old school, Mutt's theme is fun, and then the Raiders March closes it out beautifully. I also second the recommendations of Temple of Doom and Close Encounters.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

Extremely powerful piece of music. Unfortunately I can't hear it without also thinking of the score's use in (I believe) more than one episode of The Brady Bunch. Hey, I grew up in the 80s and had cable. Sue me :p.

But as for my favorite non-Star Wars end credits music. Pheeew, tough one, but gonna have to go w/Buckaroo Banzai (also my favorite end credits sequence).

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  24. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I've always liked the end credits for Independence Day.

25. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    "Navras" by Juno Reactor, end credits song to The Matrix Revolutions, especially the middle section with the Bansuri flutes (starts about 3:30)

Lyrics
    Asato ma sad gamaya
    Tamaso ma jyotir gamaya
    Mrtyor mamrtam gamaya

Om shanti, shanti, shanti

Jnani manasa saha
    Buddhis ca na vicestate
    Tam ahuh paramam gatim

Translation
    From delusion lead me to truth
    From darkness lead me to light
    From death lead me to immortality.