main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favourite non-SW, non-Williams film music?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Tho Yor, Feb 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    What's your favourite theme or cue from a film that's not Star Wars, and wasn't composed by John Williams?

Personally mine is Cavalleria Rusticana from Raging Bull (re-used in The Godfather III for the final scene).

What do you think?

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    My favorite non-Williams movie scores are from movies LOTR:FOTR, Dragonheart, and Gladiator. :)

Oh, and I loved the Moulin Rouge music, also... ;) :D

3. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    My favorite non Williams music would probably be from some older films, like Erich Wolfgang Korngold's scores for THE SEA HAWK and THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD;Franz Waxman,BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN; Max Steiner,KING KONG; Miklos Rozsa, BEN HUR; all of the John Barry James Bond scores, especially YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE. Williams is one of the only modern film composers that really appeals to me because he uses leitmotifs(themes) for major characters and creates the story so powerfully with his music that you can almost follow a film's story by listening to his soundtrack albums. James Horner is good but re-uses music too often from one score to another.

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Um, I can't think of an actual sound clip, but more of the overall film score. So, on that note, I must agree most wholeheartedly on Gladiator , and Moulin Rouge . I also still love (dating myself here) Chariots of Fire .

Not original film scores, but still rock - Matrix and Blade .

I love films, but that's all I can think of on short notice. Good question!

5. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I really love the soundtrack for A Clockwork Orange. Infact, that, along with Jurassic Park III, and Evolution are the only three soundtracks I have that aren't composed by John Williams. I'd love to get the Back to the Future music, as well, but that's very hard to get hold of over here.

6. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Chariots of Fire is a great song...but...there's so many good ones, I can't pick just one cue...

7. JonathonVandergriff

JonathonVandergriff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2000
    Edward Scissorhands!

There's nothing better than a classic Elfman score before he started making percussion based scores. It's revolutionary in the midality, tone, and arrangement. Since Edward, it has been the standard for all fantasy scores. Harry Potter was even scored using parts of Edward Scissorhands as source music.

8. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I'm an Edward Scissorhands fan too! It's pretty much the saddest score that I've ever listened to, but Elfman was great at making it only just bitter-sweet rather than purely sad and tragic.

Other scores that are my favourites are Batman Returns, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mars Attacks!, Sleepy Hollow, Sommersby and Planet of the Apes by Danny Elfman.

Stargate and Independence Day by David Arnold.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring by Howard Shore.

Bram Stoker's Dracula and The Ninth Gate by Wojciech Kilar.

And here's an oddity, Fight Club by The Dust Brothers.

9. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    Edward Scissorhands

I bought the dvd just to get the isolated score.

10. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Instead Danny Elfman himself talks over it. :p

11. scifibird

scifibird Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2002

hmmm, let's see
    LOTR: FOTR
    Lost in Space-not truly an original sound track,m but it had some nice techno songs on it.

12. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Yeah, I gotta go with Edward Scissorhands too (one of the most imitated scores of the 90s) closely followed by Batman 1 and 2, Mars Attacks . . . heck, all of Elfman's collaborations with Burton! :)
    As for other composer's work, I really like the scores for The Abyss, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Interview With the Vampire, Gladiator, Fellowship of the Ring and too many others to mention.

13. Doikk-Na-ts

Doikk-Na-ts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2002
    Danny Elfman-Beetlejuice.
    The Harry Bellafonte mixed in keeps the whole soundtrack stuck in my head.

p.s. Dagobah Dude, Amen on the lietmotif thing!

14. Dayda_Amidala

Dayda_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Definitley Gladiator. I'm always listening to it, and when I'm not, it's in my head. The best songs are "am I not merciful" and "barbarian horde"

15. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I'm partial to Barbarian Horde and the one right after it...Patricide, maybe...

16. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    Aliens had a wicked soundtrack too.

17. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Aside from movies that actually are musicals... I'd have to say "Gladiator" and "Dogma". (Well, I say Dogma 'cuz I love Jay and Bob's theme mostly.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.