main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Favourite scenes from the previous films that captured the essence of SW, you hope are in VII.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jcuk, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    This is something I really hope and pray the people behind the production manage to nail. Offcourse, every fan has their own personal favourite moments from the saga. Those for which for them alone, hit all the right buttons and without question say, 'This is Star Wars'. For me personally? It's the entire scene in ESB when the Falcon escapes from Hoth and is desperately trying to escape the relentless Empire. The thrilling JW score, the action. There's a real sense our heroes are truly up against it. It's exciting! Now offcourse there are various other parts I find enthralling. But that segment truly captures the essence of the Star Wars magic for me. To this day, whenever I watch ESB? (maybe twice a year) apart from loving the entire film anyway, that piece of it never fails to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see the views and opinions of fellow fans on this..

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The one scene that encapsulates everything that Star Wars is for me is Luke looking off at the binary sunset. I think there's a reason why it's one of the most iconic scenes because it just so beautifully sums up Luke as a character without him having to utter a word. If Ep. VII can create it's own scene like that (without resorting to aping it) then I think it's on a good track.

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013

No scene better captures the feel of Star Wars than the above and John Williams score there... ^:)^ there is a reason fans have dubed that part of 'Binary Sunset' The Force Theme instead.

Edit: ninja'd by Darth Chiznuk

4. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I love the sail barge scene in ROTJ. It feels very much like Star Wars to me.

[​IMG]

5. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    You just nailed mine. The asteroid field sequence is my favorite scene in ALL of movie-dom. :) I was a little disappointed in the AOTC asteroid scene. It wasn't terrible, It just lacked so much of the magic of the ESB scene.

Immortiss, TKT, DarthPinoy and 2 others like this.
  6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'd SQUEE aloud in the theater if Gleeson or Boyega gave that salute to Luke at some point in the movie. Nice callback, but subtle.

Iron_lord and Lord Chazza like this.
  7. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013

I agree, and that scene wouldn't be half as iconic without John Williams' fabulous music to bring it to life. Similarly for me, another powerful, iconic scene, which uses music to great effect but with no dialogue is from ESB when Yoda lifts the X-Wing from the swamp. To me it perfectly captures the mystery and magic of the Force and the whole essence of what these films are about.

8. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Do we really need more repeat "tribute" scenes? It's unnecessary. And in the PT, they were pretty corny.

Dewback and Jcuk like this.
  9. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    So well said. But that scene should never be repeated!

10. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013

True. But I don't think it's a case of repeating these scenes, but having a scene that will stand out in our minds and be as iconic as these fav scenes.

11. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    That truly is a terrific scene. It carries so much weight and impact in terms of the story. Up until that point Luke was unsure and questioned everything. His mind was plagued by doubt. Yoda knew it was time to put his mind at ease and make Luke focus and believe totally in the power of force.

12. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Exactly. An iconic scene/s that relate specifically to Episode VII and VII alone. Make them unique and original

nightangel likes this.
  13. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Great to hear from fans who view those scenes as I do. Others are great in terns of giving the story weight, but for a true sense of excitement and adventure and escapism? Kerschner and JW smacked it with that part. Well in truth, the whole film actually.

14. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    As you do I don't want to see any attempts at scenes in VII that are designed to carry weight, end up noticeably borrowing from those that have gone before. If the story is well written and well directed, then those scenes that are designed to give impact will do so. And may become just as iconic as those that have been mentioned in their own right.

Green_Destiny_Sword likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No it shouldn't be repeated. That scene is so powerful because of how the film sets up Luke as a character. We see his frustration with his uncle not letting him leave and join the academy. Then that scene perfectly captures Luke's frustration and yearning for adventure. So first you have to figure out who the character is and what he/she wants before designing a scene which captures that essence so perfectly like Luke's scene does.

16. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Yes, the escape from Hoth and the subsequent time spent hiding in the asteroid "cave"/space-worm's mouth which contained suspense, romance (developing the relationship between Han and Leia) and comedy (C-3PO's intrusions.)

In the PT, strangely enough it is the submarine voyage through Naboo's core. It is a completely unnecessary scene that does nothing to further the plot or develop the characters yet - and I'm not prequel-bashing - for me personally it is one of the few moments in the PT that captures the magic and sense of wonder of the original films.

17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I would like them to repeat /capture the amazing views over Coruscant ......

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The 10 year old in me would not mind in the least if the entire sequel trilogy took place in the carbon freezing chamber at Bespin. :p

19. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Just so long as they turn it into a dance floor at some point, with DJ Lobot spinning some sick tracks.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    3PO: "Artoo asks that you would drop him a phat beat".

21. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Check out my avatar.

Nuff said. ;)

22. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

The tension of the approach here,

23. ksb36

ksb36 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2014
    The carbonite chamber of Bespin, for sure.

The colors, the lighting, the perfection of the scene. Everyone was at the top of their game there. Ford and Fisher were superb. The look on Carrie Fisher's face as Han is lowered into the chamber is just priceless.

24. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Each of the three OT movies started with a Star Destroyer flying overhead. I want that. Or some close variation on it.

25. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    This thread so far shows how the PT failed to be memorable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.