main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Favourite scenes from the previous films that captured the essence of SW, you hope are in VII.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jcuk, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    For me it's anything Tatooine, so it sounds like I'm getting my wish :cool:

Dra--- and TigerCraneFist like this.
  2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Couldn't agree more with the last part of that post..

Satipo and TK327 like this.
  3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Sunset on Coruscant in TPM, the Tusken confession, Padme's Ruminations, Binary Sunset in ANH, Luke battering Vader into submission in ROTJ but stopping short of a final blow. These are the scenes that best define Star Wars for me. While I don't want them specifically recreated, if the ST brings passages of a similar essence, a similar visual and emotional appeal, then it will be a fantastic set of movies.

4. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Regarding the PT, the Order 66 montage in ROTS is a fantastic scene - dramatic, beautiful environments and a great score. The scene in TPM where Senator Palpatine talks to Queen Amidala about the decay of the Republic is delightfully creepy. In AOTC, the point where the Jedi arrive at the Geonosian execution arena and Mace says "This party's over" is also fun and memorable.

5. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    My favourite scene from my favourite film. Star Wars is a simple story, really. But this scene demonstrates how beautiful complexity can arise from simplicity.

Centre stage we have Han Solo, scoundrel, about to commit an act of huge and possibly fatal self-sacrifice. There's Leia, strong-willed princess suddenly at her most vulnerable. Chewbacca, faithful hound now shackled after a vain show of force. Threepio, one of our two "viewpoint characters" (the other being Artoo) who usually witness the action, has suffered an inversion: he can't actually see what's happening, which emphasises our impotence as an audience. Lando, our betrayer, cuts a tormented figure, bridging the gap between the heroes and the villains. He wears a cape like the baddies, but stands on the left hand side of the frame with the heroes. Lobot, strange fusion of man and machine, similarly represents a bridge between our human heroes and our robot-faced villains. Boba Fett provides a genuinely enigmatic presence, and in the hellish setting (which I'll come onto) he represents the mammon-like motivation of greed. And of course there's Vader, last to enter the scene, his cape sweeping across the frame. Here is the demonic driving force of the story.

There isn't a character present who isn't intriguing.

As for the set, the red lighting and Han's literal descent, overseen by pudgy grotesques, is obviously evocative of hell. This is a truly brilliant inversion of our earlier expectations, because where is this all taking place? In a city in the clouds.

The hellish setting also provides a delicious circularity with the start of the film. Han cries "then I'll see you in hell!" after being warned not to go after Luke (our first, and I believe only, explicit reference to hell as a concept in Star Wars). At the time Luke was in danger of freezing to death. Well now it's Han being frozen, and it's Han entering a metaphorical hell, and it's Luke who's coming to save him. Except Luke's too late.

Thematically, the scene is compelling precisely because it's a counterpoint to the Hero's Journey that dominates the rest of the saga. Luke is the hero, not Han. Luke is the Force User. "Lord Vader set a trap for him." And Han is just the bait. This isn't saving the galaxy stuff. This is a dress rehearsal for opening night. But it's precisely that triviality that makes it so heroic. Han is the everyday guy doomed to be caught up in the machinations of the highborn. And we love him for it.

The score weaves in between the Imperial March and "Han Solo and the Princess", offering a beautiful restatement of the latter at the pivotal moment. Having established and developed both motifs earlier in the film, it's truly an earned moment (this is something Bioware badly needed to learn after clumsily chucking in "epic" snatches of John Williams's score into their Old Republic cinematic trailers).

I'll stop there before I get started on the dialogue and this becomes TL;DR. If the new films can craft a handful of scenes as rich as this one, I'm sure we'll all be very happy.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Go on.

Winged_Jedi likes this.
  7. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    FYI that link doesn't work. I did track it down and listen, the sign off is the best - "about as much fun as cleaning up the bath after Chewbacca

Jcuk likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah I've no idea why the link didn't work to be honest. But credit for finding it and listening. :)

9. ksb36

ksb36 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2014

Yes, yes. A thousand times, yes. THIS. Leia and Han have such dignity in that scene, its incredible. Han is peering down the corridor of, if not death, then certainly a very painful and humiliating kind of purgatory--and he never breaks. Leia knows that this man is the last thing standing in the way of being completely at the mercy of her enemies--and she never breaks, even though we can see her heart being torn in two.

There's one other moment that strikes me as significant. It's the moment when Leia and Vader share a look, and she literally shrinks in stature at the fear of being back in his clutches. It's powerful in its own right, but also knowing that she is his daughter and that its a terrible fate that awaits her if she is taken prisoner by the Empire. Utterly chilling.

10. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Most iconic scenes for me:

Binary Sunset
    X-wings approach the death star

Super Star Destroyer reveal
    AT-ATs
    Yoda lifts the Xwing
    Escape from Cloud City (when R2 opens the door, music kicks in)

Rebel Fleet reveal
    stolen shuttle fly-by of the executor
    Luke gets mad and beats vader
    Space battle of Endor

Trade Federation fleet invades
    Darth Maul fires up saber

Order 66 montage
    Helmet locks in place on Vader, First breath

Even though I don't like the prequels in general, there are moments that still make me say "that's Star Wars". But for AOTC, I got nothing.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Wow, credit to you. I've never drawn that much complexity from the character story arcs in Empire before. It was simply Luke continuing his journey toward his destiny, and the romance of Han & Leia. To which both converged at the films climax. Simple thematics done brilliantly by an experienced director/storyteller who knew how to give the film a definite tone and emotional impact.

12. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    A lot of my favorites have been mentioned already: binary sunset, first shot of walkers through binoculars, the carbon freezing chamber set.

For pure Star Wars-adventure I love the shot of Obi-Wan jumping out the window of Padme's apartment after the assassin droid. Totally reckless, here-we-go moment.

How about Obi-Wan glancing at Luke before dropping his guard and allowing Vadervto kill him?

I don't like the "truly, deeply love you" line, but I love the composition of the shot of Anakin and Padme being carted through the arch with the arena beyond. More good JW cues, too.

The way the speeder bike scenes are shot and edited...still quickens the pulse after so many years.

These are the types of high-drama shots (be they emotional or action/plot driving) I hope we get more of in the ST.

Satipo likes this.
  13. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    For me, the best and most epic moment ever in Star Wars history happens just after Luke blows up the Death Star, and he hears Ben's voice saying:

"Remember, the Force will be with you... Always"

We need epic moments like that.

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Agreed. I love the way Obi-Wan starts bouncing up and down on his heels a few seconds before it opens, like he's psyching himself up. I can see Boyega having a similar type of scene–he just seems like the perfect actor to play a scene like that.

15. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    There needs to be absolutely ZERO ripping off of the OT in the ST.

Abrams horribly ripped off Star Trek II in Into Darkness and it was freaking awful.

Have someone saying "I have a bad feeling about this" once in the movie.

And that's it.

I swear to god I'll go ballistic if Luke Skywalker tells some wet-behind-the-ears force sensitive being, "this is the weapon of a Jedi knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster."

16. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    Here's another thing I'd like: record some NEW sounds for R2-D2.

17. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

As C-3PO would say: Wonderful....wonderful!"

You nailed it. While the Binary Sun scene from SW is my favorite individual moment from the franchise, a moment that thoroughly transported me to a galaxy far, far away, it is the Carbonite Chamber stuff from Cloud City/Bespin that remain the best scenes in all of SW. From the moment when we were first introduced to it and Lando proved he wasn't some simple, one dimensional backstabber by showing human compassion when he warned Vader that freezing the Skywalker individual could kill him, to the emotional, busy scene in which Han is frozen, up to of course the start of Luke and Vader's first duel, the best lightsaber battle ever as far as I'm concerned, in which Vader began the proceedings with my favorite SW qoute of all time : "The force is with you, young Skywalker....but you're not a jedi yet" (all praise to James Earl Jones for that special delivery).

The first thing that should be mentioned is that that chamber set is gorgeous. The best set that the crew ever put together for the franchise (yeah there are a lot of "bests" when it comes to this subject). The lighting of it is just perfect and the hissing steam that continually rises from every corner of the chamber does indeed suggest a certain trip to hell by the characters, especially considering they have to walk downwards to get to the main platform.

You listed Vader's entrance. It is a work of art. Vader enters the frame suddenly in the foreground as an ebony master of ceremony whom all must wait on before the proceedings can go forward. It is a great shot, a splendid moment of cinematography that manages to convey the sweeping grandeur of this sith lord.

And talk about a scene full of iconic characters. The gathering of individuals is like a collection of All Stars that you rarely get in a room together. Han. Lea. Chewie. Threepio. Lando. Vader. And freakin' Boba Fett. Speaking of Fett I love the little detail that as soon as Chewie starts going bonkers and is knocking over Storm Troopers, Boba Fett is quick to act and is about to snuff out Chewie's life. But Vader is even swifter by stopping him, putting his hand on Fett's weapon in the process. Could anyone else get away with that? Even as badass as Fett is he is in a room with an individual who practically created the word.

With so much talk about which worlds we would love to see the new movies revisit I have to say I'm almost wishing that for some reason the characters can take a trip by Cloud City in one of the next three installments.

18. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    as long as they aren't anything like the new ones we got in ROTS I'll be happy, it didn't sound like R2 to me.

19. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Love the Binary Sunset in ANH along with Yoda lifting the X-Wing in TESB.

If I had to vote for something for something that hasn't been mentioned yet it would be two scenes in the same sequence in ANH. First is Luke and Leia swinging across the chasm. Granted it's a simple scene and a relatively simple danger, but it helps ratchet up the tension they're facing along with providing a small measure of intimacy between Luke and Leia who are, at that point, still relative strangers.

The second scene is as the group is running across the hangar bay to the Falcon and Obi-Wan sacrifices himself to ensure they escape. Unlike Anakin, who was a whiny punk when he became Vader, Obi-Wan showed what it meant to die like a Jedi.

CairnsTony and Immortiss like this.
  20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    ^[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually I couldn't find my favorite scene from 'Duel of the Fates'. It is a broad, sweeping shot of the reactor room after Maul kicks Obi-Wan down to a lower level. On the upper gantry in the top right of the shot Qui-Gon and Maul duel, while Obi-Wan is seen hanging from a lower gantry in the bottom left of the screen. What a shot. If anyone can find it, I salute you.

21. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    New sounds would equal new words. We use the same sounding words every day of our lives, why shouldn't Artoo?

22. Porkinslovehandle

Porkinslovehandle Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2014
    I'd really love a scene in episode VII, done in the spirit of the trash compactor scene from ANH. That scene is quintessential star wars to me. It's the first scene where the main trio are together, and they're immediately out of the frying pan and into the fire, bickering the whole way. The carbon freezing scene is one of the best in the saga, but it's weight was earned by these goofier scenes earlier in the trilogy, that endeared these characters to us.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    For me...
    1) Binary sunset
    2) 'Here they come'
    3) The asteroid field
    4) 'The force is with you young Skywalker'
    5) Anakin's/Vader's funeral pyre
    6) Darth Maul's reveal in the Theed hangar/Duel of the Fates
    7) Across the Stars in the arena/'this party's over'
    8) The opera scene
    9) Sidious versus Yoda
    10) 'You were my brother'

Nonsense - I think you'd first have to ask a cross section of SW fans, who saw the PT first (as kids) to get a real view on favourite scenes. It's obvious that SW fans who've grown up on the OT will, more than likely, reference the scenes they first saw as children I.e the OT.

I've actually spoken to Mark K about SW a few years back... not only are the SW films not his bag (the OT and PT), he readily concedes that the 'point of perception' I.e. the age one first sees the films is key to ones interpretation of them. SW really isn't his cup of tea... although he appreciates the technical application.

24. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Or, maybe even including that perception angle, the OT simply has a lot more genuinely great moments. The moments being mentioned, in both trilogies, are great moments regardless of nostalgia.

Jcuk, nightangel and Dra--- like this.
  25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I have two types of feelings about SW

First there's "This is sooooo Star Wars!"
    One of many examples from each ep
    TPM: Anakin and his mother's last exchange before he leaves
    AOTC: Anakin and Padme kiss before entering the arena
    ROTS: "Anakin is the father, isn't he? ...I'm so sorry" (this is my favorite scene in the saga btw)
    ANH: Sunset. Duh
    TESB: When Luke discovers that this small green dude is Yoda, and Obi-Wan's ghost convinces him to train Luke
    ROTJ: Luke and Obi-Wan's ghost speak after Yoda's death

The other type of feeling I have is "**** YEAH, THIS IS ******* STAR WARS!!!"
    Numerous examples from each ep
    TPM: Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon getting right into action on the control ship, the last lap of the podrace, Duel of the Fates
    AOTC: The speeder chase, Obi-Wan and Jango in the asteroid field, the battle in the arena
    ROTS: The beginning space battle until they land in the Invisible Hand (the rest of ROTS is somewhat of a departure for me - in the best possible way. Most unique ep I think)
    ANH: Swinging across the chasm, the Battle of Yavin
    TESB: Battle of Hoth, Falcon in the asteroid field, jump to hyperspace after rescuing Luke
    ROTJ: Battle in the Sarlaac Pit, the speeder bike chase (I don't include the Battle of Endor itself for reasons similar as to why I don't include a lot more of ROTS; it has a much more dramatic feel to it as opposed to the whole swashbuckling, fun adventure type stuff I've brought up in this list)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.