main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Favourite scenes from the previous films that captured the essence of SW, you hope are in VII.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jcuk, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    From the OT I would have to say the door being blown in on the Tantive IV. It's the first time we see Vader and the Stormtroopers. From the PT, for me at least, it's any scene where John Williams score swells like the Order 66 montage, or anytime there is banter between Obi Wan and Anakin.

For the TCW there are too many as well. Asohka's leaving the order sticks in mind. Or When there is he panning shot of a down republic cruiser with a Jedi starfighter flying past. I cannot for the life of me remember whose jedi fighter it is!

Dra--- likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, let's spew hatred at Abrams in a thread not dealing with that at all. Good call!

[face_sigh]

TheBBP, Immortiss and Satipo like this.
  3. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I don't think that anyone is suggesting that carbon copies of scenes from previous Star Wars movies should end up in the ST. It's more about the recapturing the spirit of those scenes, their essence and the way they make you feel when you watch them, not the lines of dialogue or the sets themselves.

4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    You don't think that? Really?

When a thread bears the title "Favorite Scenes from the Previous Films that Captured the Essence of SW you Hope are in VII," what other possible interpretation are people supposed to make? Because that's EXACTLY what the title suggests: that people should select their favorite scenes from previous films, the ones that say Star Wars to them the most, and have them redone in this new one. There's not a hint about "recapturing the spirit" of those scenes in that thread title. There's no mention of an "essence" or of "the way they made you feel" in that thread title. It says what it says, and that's ALL it says.

And in a universe where lazy screenwriters do exactly that all the time nowadays, transplanting dialogue and indeed entire scenes from other films just to "call out" or "pay homage" to their predecessors in a franchise, I have no reason to assume that's NOT what this thread is talking about.

5. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    [face_dunno]Whatever. Interpret it how you want. I interpreted it differently.

Jcuk, TheBBP and Pfluegermeister like this.
  6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It's blatantly talking about capturing a feel or an emotion as opposed to rehashing scenes we've already scene before. Nobody wants to see that.

nightangel, Jcuk, Immortiss and 6 others like this.
  7. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

I interpreted it differently as well. The examples that I provided were about emotion or tension. Not something that I wanted to be rehashed.

8. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The binary sunset scene is certainly to be mentioned. However, I have to say I've always been a bigger fan the later scene where Luke returns and finds his adoptive parent's dead bodies. Felt more natural, less cliched and much stronger than the previous scene. "There is nothing for me here now.".
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Four more wonderful scenes that touched a core:

TPM
    The scene with Padmé/Queen alone in the Palace. The impression/feeling of being overwhelmed and powerless, despite carrying a lot of responsibility for yourself and others. It works especially in contrast to the determined Padmé that leaves Coruscant, later in the movie.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

AOTC
    The scene on Tatooine right before Anakin leaves. The two lovers, hugging, in front of the background of a seemingly endless desert and the blue sky, captured by the rare shadow on this hot planet and followed by Anakin's chase through Tatooine, which will leave him emotionally burnt. Also loved Vader's shadow shortly before!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

ROTS
    It's really chilling and at the same tim somehow scaring moment when Palpatine announces the Empire. Especially that low-angle shot from the back, when Palpatine kind of holds the Senate in his hands is brilliant, accurately commented by Padmé's following: "So this how liberty dies ... with thunderous applause".
    [​IMG][​IMG]

TESB
    Luke leaves Dagobah after his visions. I love the mood of the scene, Obi-Wan's "Don't give in to hate. That leads to the dark side." and the general impression/feeling that Luke's getting in danger and might fall in the same trap his father did.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Further honorable mentions:
    - Anakin leaving his mother
    - Anakin and Padmé being brought into the Arena
    - the Tusken Massacre
    - the Ruminations Scene
    - Order 66
    - Obi-Wan's / Ben's death
    - destruction of the first Death Star
    - Luke realizing that Yoda's Yoda
    - Leia sensing Luke (Cloud City)
    - Luke taking off Vader's helmet

9. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'm very curious in how you came to conclude that the binary sun scene was cliche, especially considering a moment like that had not been done at the time.

whostheBossk and Satipo like this.
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Wow.... I've never really seen Han from such an angle until reading this. To be perfectly honest, I never really was crazy about his character. He seems like such an outsider among SW characters, but now.... I think you've given me a new appreciation for him. I'll have to think about this some more

11. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    it would be awesome if the ST had a scene as iconic as when Yoda lifted Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp, or when all our heroes were reunited at the rip-roaring rescue at the Sarlac Pit in ROTJ

Satipo likes this.
  12. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I can even imagine Riddley doing that in a similar outfit to Luke there.

Lord Chazza and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Well, that's not what I was trying to say, actually. I chose "less cliched" for lach of a better word. I also included the binary sunset scene, as you could see above, I just tried to explain my admiration for the later scene. It's a bit less .... I don't know.... melodramatic? ... usual? There are just a lot more prominent scenes in the hero gerne with yearning characters (like binary sunset), whereas short and precise, but still meaningful, scenes like the later scene are rather rare.

Satipo likes this.
  14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It's worth noting how many of these scenes are lifted even higher by the work of John Williams.

15. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Lucas' images and Williams scores/musical cues do work perfectly in concert...

Immortiss, Revanfan1, Samnz and 2 others like this.
  16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I was going to add - also interesting how many of the favourite scenes being talked about - are predominantly visual (across both trilogies). Most are silent or have very little dialogue and, as pointed out, the visuals soar with Williams' music.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Binary sunset is probably the most iconic.

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Without wanting to state the obvious, Star Wars is basically a mix of the visual and audio... the dialogue never being one of its strongest elements. Pretty much most of SW best moments can be summed up in single images or sounds... be it the sound of an igniting lightsabre or the image of setting twin suns.

19. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    I'd agree with you mostly but I think there are a few patches of excellent dialogue. In the PT, Senator Palpatine's chat with Queen Amidala in TPM is a standout for me. He sounds knowledgeable, sympathetic, honest and a little bit cynical yet he also has a creepy edge. You can definitely tell he's pushing Padme in the direction he wants her to go.

In the OT, Han Solo's chat with Ben Kenobi and Luke is similarly well done. With just a few lines of dialogue you get Han's character in a nutshell and it's completely convincing. Ben is brilliant at getting under Solo's skin a little, not allowing his ego to run away with him too much.

Immortiss likes this.
  20. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Scenes that we kind of seen but will see in a new way.

✓John Williams...check (confirmed)
    ✓Open Crawl...check (of course)
    ✓Pew Pew Pew Laser Effects...check (duh)
    ✓Imperial Stuff...check (confrimed parts)
    ✓New Creatures to Love/Hate...check (see bob or his pig ride)
    ✓Planet we never saw before..check (story board Background)

✓Millenium Falcon...check (confirmed)
    ✓Lightsabers...check (confirmed)
    ✓3p0/r2 bicker...check (has to happen)
    ✓Classic characters...check (confirmed)
    ✓One species or character everyone will undoubtedly complain about...check (most likely)

the list just goes on and on and on...............just shut up and take my money.

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Oh yes - I'm not saying that SW isn't without it's dialogue.. be it Solo's banter or anything Yoda or Palpatine speak. However, at it's best I think SW actually plays like a silent movie (albeit with sounds effects and music)... from the battle aboard the Tantive IV to Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon versus Maul. The best moments are are usually visual... certainly in terms of Lucas' direction.

Jair Crawford and Lord Chazza like this.
  22. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree that Star Wars has knocked it out of the park visually, musically, and always had fantastic sound effects. Also, the story has always been fantastic, in my opinion. All six of the movies not only shined like a beacon in those aspects, but they constantly raised the bar in those areas for the entire film industry.

So many scenes from all 6 of the movies feel so timeless to me, for this very reason.

What Episode 7 needs to do is not imitate any of these scenes, but rather, capture the same essence.

And if the acting and dialogue is stellar, well, we've got a formula for a classic.

23. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi everyone, newbie here.

I always think back to the personalities in the OT3 that I hope they preserve. I hope Luke isn't simply calm and wise. He was the most peaceful of the 3, but still had some spunk. And I hope Han and Leia still get some great bickering scenes. I feel Carrie didn't really get the chance to shine in ROTJ because she didn't have the chance to have the same type of smart-ass exchanges with Harrison. So the original trilogy characters actually getting to be more than wise elders would be a hit with me.

Someone will have a bad feeling about something. And someone will say, "I love you"... "I know". Maybe Han and Leia, to Daisy (I'm going ahead and assuming she is the daughter) before she goes into some sort of battle scene.

And some sort of triumphant closing scene, bringing all of the actors together like in a New Hope and Return of the Jedi.

24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Just my opinion but please no "I love you" "I know" scene. We've already had it twice

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    whostheBossk and Satipo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.