main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favourite Shots of the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The_Little_Red_Jedi, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Little_Red_Jedi

The_Little_Red_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    I had this posted in the RotS forum just now, and it's already becoming quite popular so I thought I might as well be the one to extend it to the whole of the Saga.

So, what are your favourite single shots from the Saga (Exclusing RotS)?

My own:

Episode I-
    Darth Maul, raising his head, as the two doors open in front of him and reveal him to everyone.

Episode II-
    Anakin, on his speeder, travelling across the desert in search of his Mother, with "duel of the fates" playing.

Episode III-
    Post here: http://boards.theforce.net/Revenge_of_the_Sith_/b10331/19928305/?21

Episode IV-
    The Historic opening shot.

Episode V-
    Vader reaching out as he asks Luke to join him and destroy the Emporer.

Episode VI-
    The shot of Luke's back as he burns Vader's suit.

Post yours! :)

2. dark_jedi32

dark_jedi32 Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    ep1: Darth Maul igniting the double-bladed saber

ep2: when Anakin looks up the moment after his mother dies, when he's about to slaughter the Tuskens.

Ep3: -already posted-

Ep4: Vader walking through the Tantive IV doors.

Ep5: "No, I am your father!"

Ep6: the shot at the end with the Force ghosts.-the DVD version-.

3. yoda_disciple

yoda_disciple Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2004
    2 that come to mind immediately, in no particular order:

a) in RotJ right after a Y-wing guy says "there's... too many of them!" the MF flies through a cloud of tie interceptors with the death star in the background
    b) also in RotJ in the same battle there's a shot (not on the DVD i don't think) where there are 4 ships (MF, Wedge, an A-wing & a Y-wing) charging towards all the star destroyers all by themselves, with the MF leading the way. that might be the coolest shot by far in all 6 films. shows how desperate/fearless/stupid the rebels were. i get a rush just thinking about it. :p

4. yoda_disciple

May 2, 2004
    up

the ROTS thread on this subject got way more replies than this :(

5. wonder_alice

wonder_alice Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    ANH : A classic - Luke looking hurt, sad, strong and determined to face his destiny, all at the same time (while being so exquisitely handsome) right after he's seen his fried aunt and uncle. He looks up at the skies and knows he now MUST become a Jedi. So inspiring. Makes me sigh every time.

ESB : Closing shot - Luke, Leia, Threepio, R2-D2 (+ Chewie and Lando, I think) looking through a window of the MF.

ROTS: I'm starting to like a lot the shot of Darth Vader beside the emperor, yes, that one used in the trailer.

6. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    TPM: Qui-Gon meditating between the energy shields
    AOTC: Anakin and Padme kissing as they go into the arena
    ROTS: "Rise lord Vader"
    ANH: Two Suns
    ESB: Leia clinging onto Chewie as Han gets carbon-frozen
    ROTJ: Crossed blades over the Emperor's face

7. General_Marlboro

General_Marlboro Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Luke is in front of the Emperor in Jedi and right after Luke throws down his lightsabre, the Emperor has a look on his face that you know he cant believe Luke wont turn.

8. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    TPM - The shot where the blast doors open in the Naboo theed hangar and a cloaked, hooded figure of Darth Maul is unveiled.

AOTC - The shot of Anakin and Padmé's shadow hugging on the Skywalker homestead wall on Tatooine.

ROTS - The shot of Darth Vader walking on the Star Destroyer bridge, joining Emperor Palpatine and Govenor Tarkin, supervising the construction of the first Death Star with the Imperial Officers working below him. Very OT Nostologiac (or however it's spelt) moment.

ANH - The shot of Luke watching the binary sunset on Tatooine. Such a powerful moment, powerful shot, and so well done.

TESB - The shot of Vader's silohoutte in the Carbon Freezing Chamber with the engulfing steam rising. One word -- brilliant.

ROTJ - The very first shot of the DSII space battle. Very hectic, yet still to this day very aesthetically pleasing.

9. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    [image=http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/pics/Spirits.jpg]

10. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    TPM:eek:bi Wan/Jinn/Maul dueling in the hangar. (Its the cover of the TPM Disc 1).

AOTC:The Jedi surronded in the arena, tied with Anakin/Dooku dueling in the dark.

ROTS:eek:bi Wan and Vader staring at each other as the lava carries them down the river.

ANH:eek:bi Wan and Vader with blades crossed.

ESB:Vader at the top of the steps ("You have learned much young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet").

ROTJ:Luke and Vader's lightsabers crossed in front of Sidious, tied with original three Jedi ghost shot, putting Hayden in there is really my only beef with Lucas's changes.

11. yoda_disciple

May 2, 2004
    TPM: favourite shot is where obi pulls himself out of the hole & the fight sequence with darth maul right after. it's pretty intense

AOTC: the horde of jedis with their lightsabres running across the arena

ROTS: can't remember what i put in the other thread but i thought it was so cool when yoda stood in palpatine/sidious' way & spoke language sidious understands: "if so powerful you are then why leave?"

ANH: 2 suns i guess...

ESB: either vader turning away from the window after seeing lando & co escape, or the medical frigate heading off the join the rest of the rebel ships

ROTJ: the 2 shots i listed already, the 4 rebel ships racing full-speed towards all the star destroyers & the shot right after "there's... too many of them!"

12. Plagus_the_wise

Plagus_the_wise Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    TPM: when obi-wan getts kicked off of the brige in the core.

AOTC: when anakin leaps out and saves obi-wan from getting killed by darth tyranis.

ROTS: when Darth Vader breaks out of the restraints and yells nnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

ANH: when R2 and chewie are playing chess.

ESB: when luke jumps off of the platform and lands in the tube.

ROTJ: when it shows lukes back as he burnes Lord Vader

13. Battlemaiden

Battlemaiden Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    TPM: The door opening to reveal Maul, and Obi-Wan/Qui-Gonn moving to face him.

AOTC: Slave 1 racing in with its blasters and chasing Obi-Wans Jedi Starfighter in the asteroid belt. Very cool.

ROTS: The first strike between Anakin and Obi-Wan in The Duel.

ANH: Pretty much the whole trench run with Vader chasing Luke. It has more meaning after seeing RotS too..

ESB: Easily when Luke and Vader ignite their sabers.

ROTJ: When the Rebels pull away from the DS2, only to run into about a million Imperial fighters. =)

14. The_Negotiator

The_Negotiator Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Episode 1- During the duel, after Qui-Gon is defeated, Obi-Wan is standing behind the shield and Darth Maul is waiting for him, They both ignite their sabers and the shield disappears and Obi-Wan runs in. Or at least that's what comes to mind right now.
    Episode 2- The Anakin on the swoop bike Duel of the Fates shot. Naturally.
    Episode 3- The opening shot. Or the Obi-Wan "Superman" shot. Or Obi-Wan's pose on my icon. Or the shot of Anakin, saber in each hand, right after beheading Dooku. Or the smoking Jedi Temple. Or Mace in front of the broken window. Or Obi-Wan at the top of the ramp on Mustafar. Or the shot during The Duel of Obi-Wan and Anakin fighting in that tight hallway with sparks flying everywhere. Or the shot of Yoda and Sidious being lifted into the Senate Arena. Or...
    Episode 4- "Yahoo!!" Favorite Movie Moment. Ever.
    Episode 5- Overhead shot of Luke and Vader fighting on the catwalk, the infinite abyss below.
    Episode 6- The Falcon making a lap around the Death Star core then flying toward the camera as the core explodes behind it.

15. jdijade

jdijade Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2005
    Wow some excellent moments listed here!

For ROTS, I haven't seen this moment posted yet: A hooded Anakin turns towards the camera after cutting down the separatists, and his eyes are glowing yellow. Most evil he ever looked (til the suit, anyway). Gives me chills.

16. Seperatist

Seperatist Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    TPM: Qui-Gon Jinns funeral Palpatine shot.
    AotC: The shot where Dooku just cuts off Anakin's arm.
    RotS: Palpatine engaging the three Jedi saying ''Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?!''
    ANH: The shot where Luke is staring at the horizon.
    ESB: The ''I am your Father!'' shot.
    RotJ: The death of Anakin Skywalker.

-S-

17. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/arabiansanchez/DarthVaderarararar.jpg

18. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    TPM: Hooded Sidious and Maul on the Coruscant balcony. I've always liked those scenes in which the Emperor is reduced to a shadowy, abstract quotient of himself, showing only the barest traces of his nose, mouth and chin immersed in the sharp darkness of his robes.

AOTC: The shadows of Anakin and Padme on the Lars farm-- and no, not because "it looks like Vader," but because it's just an interesting directorial choice.

ROTS: Mace and Palpatine in the office duel, shattering the glass of the window with their sabers. Also, all of that sequence impresses me, especially how Palpatine scurries back like a rat into the window ledge when it appears he's been beaten, and the shot of Mace and his saber from below, retroactively echoing a shot of Vader from ESB.

ANH: I love the shots of Obi-Wan inside his home. The lighting is very naturalistic and the composition and framing stylized and interesting. Also, I really like that strange hum that's heard throughout that scene-- very new-agey and relaxing. Just the stuff a retired Jedi would listen to.

ESB: Pretty much all of the duel between Luke and Vader-- which is just one of those sequences that screams Lucas, rather than Kerschner. Of special note is that "You are beaten!" shot of Vader from below, since Lucas decided to use that image in ROTS. Also of note is the shot of Luke walking through the Cloud City hallways that follows a wipe-transition from Han's freezing. The high-angle point-of-view in the corridor can be found numerous times in Lucas' work-- in the penultimate chase in THX-1138, in the garbage compactor and trench runs of ANH, and most recently in the Jedi Library of AOTC.

Seriously-- Lucas was more to ESB than a mere "Executive Producer."

ROTS: Vader walking down the steps after cutting down Luke's catwalk in their duel, shot through the slats of the stairs themselves. With all the Venitian blind imagery running from AOTC and ROTS to ROTJ, I think it's safe to say that this image provides a key to understanding the saga's visual meanings.

19. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    My favorite shot of the enitre Saga is Queen Amidala looking out of the palace window at the start of Episode I. The mournful look on her face, the opulence of her surroundings, the setting sun light levels, the enclosed formality--it's a visual narration of almost the entire PT (from the Republic's point of view) in a single frame.

20. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Also especially interesting considering the fact that Natalie Portman played the part of Anne Frank on Broadway-- didn't she? It puts her in an interesting perspective, playing the part of a young girl in the hands of invading captors.

21. force_architect

force_architect Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    TPM - Darth Maul igniting his double-bladed saber right before the final duel.

AOTC - Anakin riding off into the sunset in search of his mother.

ROTS - Anakin standing on the platform right after the Seperatist slaughter.
    Obi-wan walking off into the sunset after delivering Luke to the plantation.

ANH - Luke watching the twin sunset and also standing over his dead Aunt and Uncle.
    The shot of the Millenium Falcon as it's pulled into the Deathstar hangar.
    The Millenium Falcon as it flies out of the sun blasting the tie fighters and giving Luke a clear shot.

ESB - One of the first shots of the AT-AT's coming up on the horizon before the battle.
    The Millenium Falcon blasting out of the Hoth hangar as Luke turns to watch.
    Yoda lifting the X-wing from the swamp.
    Vader at the top of the stairs before the duel.

ROTJ - The scene at the beginning of the space battle with all the fighters converging and meeting in battle.
    Luke standing over his defeated father and then again leaning over him as he's dying.
    The Millenium Falcon blasting out of the flames from the Death Star just as it explodes.

22. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    it would be cool if people who can would actually post their pics instead of just taliking about them...

i dont know how to do it

mine are:

TPM- when anakins mom tells him to not look back
    AOTC- lots of clones marching like stormtroopers
    ROTS- anakin crying after slauhtering separatists
    ANH- luke lights up anakins saber
    ESB- vader imploring luke to join him
    ROTJ- the vader funeral pyre

23. Caliwho

Caliwho Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    Good thread. Lets see now...Hard to make up my mind...right off the top of my head I would say

Ep1. Jar Jar stepping in crap. Just kidding. Hard one, not many good things in this movie. Ok. Favorite shot(s):Every time Palpatine is on screen. Ian McDiarmid made the best of his screen time/lines

Ep2. Obi Wan captive and talking to Dooku/Yoda fighting Dooku. Christopher Lee is always great

Ep3. Order 66. Brilliant

Ep4. Luke gazing into twin sunset

Ep5. Duel between Luke/Vader. Favorite single shot: Closeup of Vaders face when he watches Han Solo submerge/emerge (cant remember) from carbon freezing.

Ep6. Vader killing Emperor.
    Other good one is Vader and Luke talking on Endor: "Obi Wan once thought as you do"...

24. KMC

KMC Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    TPM -- Darth Maul and Sidious/Palpatine talking on the balcony.

AOTC -- Chancellor Palpatine giving his speech before receiving emergancy powers.

ROTS -- The duel between Sidious/Palpatine and Yoda in the Senate Arena.

ANH -- Obi-Wan's conversation with Luke in his Tatooine home.

TESB -- Vader telling Luke that he is his father.

ROTJ -- Vader saving Luke from Emperor Palpatine.

25. yoda_disciple

May 2, 2004
    a guy at work really likes the shot of luke finally losing it & using his rage against darth vader in rotj. the coolest shot/sequence is of luke givin it to vader & then chopping his hand off.

i still say the shot of the 4 fighters + MF taking on all the star destroyers is the best though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.