main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga favourite single shot in the saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthfettus2015, Jun 11, 2013.

1. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    dont know if this has been done, i dont mean scene, almost a still that you could freeze frame or put in a frame on a wall, maybe the image that sticks in your mind, like the most important sticker in a sticker album (remember those) i guess id love to do screen shots, but dontknow how

Mine :

Episode II - (my least fave but fave image) Anakin looking for his mother. talking to the Jawa with two sandcrawlers in the sunset

Episode V - " I am Your Father"

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Needs pics, really, there's already a good few 'favourite bits' threads.

I'll give you a hand, though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darth Raiden and VMeran like this.
  3. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    For me it's probably one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    So many... (Part One)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
  6. CommanderTano96

CommanderTano96 Jedi Padawan

Jun 11, 2013
    Any of the below are my favourite images:
    [​IMG]
    This one because it shows real emotion Jedi to Jedi, friend to friend!
    The pain in Obi-Wan's facial expression is very emotional and i would expect each Star Wars fan to feel that emotion!

[​IMG]
    I had to include this photo! This really sums up every movie and every scene for me!
    Seeing Anakin back with his Former Masters after so long was an amazing scene to end the OT with especially if you watched the PT first!
    LOVE THIS PICTURE!

[​IMG]
    Last but not least, this image is a very striking one aswell!
    This may not be the best dual in the saga but its one of the more meaningful duals!
    To see Padawan against Master so many years later, again if you watched PT first, was very emotional and powerful!

7. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
  8. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Part Four

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darth Raiden, VMeran and Seagoat like this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok so why not just post the entire Saga. It says single shot.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    For one and only one I'll go with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan overlooking the city at sunset. For many TPM was the official beginning of the "I hate CGI" era, but I'm the opposite. After seeing this shot for the first time I realized that, while the "practical" visual style of the OT did its job and still stands out as quality, the visual style of the PT is unique, beautiful, and essential not just to Star Wars, but movie making in general.

Aegon Starcaster, VMeran and Alexrd like this.
  11. TheDarkLordess

TheDarkLordess Jedi Padawan star 3

Jun 5, 2013
  12. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Don't tempt me. :p

Sorry, I got a little too enthusiastic and I didn't pay as much attention to the OP as I probably should.

If I could pick only a single shot, though, it would have to be this:

[​IMG]

To me, it perfectly captures the interplay of light and dark, life and death, love and loss. All of which are so central to the Saga.

Tommytom, Darth Raiden, Samnz and 6 others like this.
  13. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    So many shots....I have to say though, looking through your pics PiettsHat, the beauty of all of them is so visual. Each one holds so many meanings and mise-en-scene, and each one could easily be a framed canvas on a wall. ILM created some visually stunning scenes when you see just a snap shot and take it all in.

If I had to pick one. One shot....hmm....I think it would be....this one....

[​IMG]

I think it just sums up the unity of a galaxy - there is nothing but tranquility around them, and the heroes are all together and happy and free.

Past and present generations have brought about this moment where over 30 years of confrontation and adventure has taken place to get to this point, and it's worth the celebration, the smile and the family newly created.

Heroes, survivors, family, friends.

:)

14. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I can't pick just one. Sorry

15. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    At the moment I'm leaning towards this (or one of the other shots in this sequence):

[​IMG]

"Begun, the Clone War has."

This image, I feel, is a perfect culmination of everything that The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones set up and a perfect lead-in to the Empire's reign of terror as seen in Revenge of the Sith and the Original Trilogy. The raw emotion and power of seeing the Republic's soon to be turned Imperial army at the start of the Clone Wars just sends chills down my spine every single time.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My single favorite shot has always been:

[​IMG]

And the line that goes with it.

17. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    I don't have a screenshot (maybe later) but my personal favourite is the exact moment in the duel between Maul, Obi and Qui Gon, where Maul passes through the doors of the hanger space into the area with all the catwalks and energy beams. Something about that particular moment just looks incredibly cool.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Can't choose a single shot for the whole saga, but I can choose one for each movie. If that's okay, I'll post them later.

19. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's a whole lot of shots that I thought were pretty cool from the Battle of Geonosis in Attack of the Clones. I thought these scenes had some of the best shots in the entire saga.

Attack of the Clones - Battle of Geonosis

[​IMG]
    Shaak Ti and Luminara Unduli, two of my favourite characters.

[​IMG]
    Kit Fisto and Pablo-Jill, another two of my favourite characters.

[​IMG]
    Coleman Trebor, another one of my favourite characters who was moments away from possibly defeating Count Dooku. I like this shot, but at the same time I don't because of what happens.

[​IMG]
    I can just imagine what's going through Mace Windu's mind here, "Oh shiiiiiiiii..."

[​IMG]My favourite character, Kit Fisto getting his own screen time.

[​IMG]One of my favourite shots in the entire saga with Kit Fisto giving his iconic smile.

[​IMG]
    Great shot of the remaining Jedi from the battle still defending themselves against all of those battle droids, plus there's a lot of my favourite characters there which makes it even better.

[​IMG]
    Another great shot of the remaining Jedi.

[​IMG]
    Great shot of the LAAT/i's firing torpedoes.

[​IMG]
    That's right! Kit Fisto getting some more screen time.

[​IMG]
    Great shot of an LAAT/i firing torpedoes at a Separatist ship.

[​IMG]
    Great shot showing everything you'd expect from such a big battle, gunfire, missiles and vehicles being blown up.

[​IMG]
    One of my favourite characters, Poggle the Lesser handing over the Death Star plans to Count Dooku.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    As you can see I like a lot of shots from the saga, and if that's just one scene from one of the movies, imagine how many pictures there would be here by the time is finish! But I do think the Battle of Geonosis scenes had the best shots, as well as the Battle of Utapau scenes, which brings me to my all time favourite shot in the saga...

General Grievous spinning his four lightsabers while walking towards Obi-Wan. The Obi-Wan vs. Grievous duel was my favourite scene in the entire saga. I reckon he looks really bad ass in this shot, and because he's my second favourite character after Kit Fisto, it makes this shot even better.

[​IMG]

Grievousdude likes this.
  21. DarthUltious

DarthUltious Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2013
    I'm not going to pick just one, because that's insanity.

From A New Hope:
    The scene on the Falcon where R2 and Chewie are playing a game, while Luke trains. Chewie gets upset and 3PO is being... 3PO.
    "He made a fair move. Screaming about it won't help."
    "Watch yourself, it's not wise to upset a Wookiee."
    "But sir, nobody worries about upsetting a droid."
    "That's 'cuz droids don't rip people's arms off when they lose..."
    The way the Chewbacca mask is made and the subtle micro-expressions from Peter Mayhew make the scene for me. Chewie slouches back, rubs his hands across his mane, and down the back of his head. The best part? He lets out a low growl. "Deal with it."
    I love that scene.

From Empire Strikes Back:
    The opening shot of Luke and Vader's duel on Bespin. Luke and Vader step forward and slowly ignite their lightsabers. Just... wow. So, cool.

From Return of the Jedi:
    "I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

22. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003

Great choice couldn't agree more so much build up and tension in that scene, this photo for me is one of favorite shots of the saga seeing our beloved princess with that look in her eyes!
    [​IMG]

Darth Raiden and FRAGWAGON like this.
  23. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    This is one of the one's I was going to nominate.

Here's two others:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

By the way, does that scene of the burning Jedi Temple give anyone else 9/11 flashbacks?

24. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    For me, it would the opening shot of Episode IV, A New Hope. The Blockade Runner being chased by the Star Destroyer. Classic!!!!

25. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

First of all, as cinematography nerd, this is from a visual standpoint my favorite scene in the saga. We have never gotten, and likely never will get, a scene in a Star Wars film as brilliantly composed and lit as Peter Suschitzky's work here. I was really tempted to forgo posting a single screencap and simply link a video of the scene, because there's so many perfect shots here. Leia backing away mortified from Vader, Lando's look of shame as Han is lowered into the pit, the mist from the machine blowing away to reveal Vader's deathly visage, and of course the famous kiss, made deliciously fleeting with the help of a great, if subtle, bit of camera movement.

The whole set is fantastic in both literal and thematic beauty, really tapping into that motif PiettsHat mentioned about light verses dark- in this case more specifically the colors of good (blue) versus evil (red/orange). Theres a brilliant subversion of expectations, with common rationale dictating that a "freezing chamber" would be a cold, grey place, but instead we get something more visually akin to Han being lowered into a pit of fire, something that feels much more immediately dangerous. Also, whereas sunset tones of burnt orange are typically used to create a feeling of romanticism (which is true here to some degree), the orange light here is a more threatening one, almost overbearing as it consumes the faces of those around it, and the blue in the background almost becomes a relief for the eyes of the viewer, a dim glimmer of hope waiting on the fringes of the fiery circle.

Anyways, ultimately the shot of Lando reaching down to Han won it for me. The dark irony of the shot, two mirroring figures, the betrayer alive and the betrayed lifeless, mixed with with the once again brilliant lighting that lends the warm orange light mingling with shadows to create a surprisingly cold sense of dread. Note that the blue relief I mentioned earlier is nowhere to be found in this shot. In this moment, the viewer is not meant to have hope. It's just great.