main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga favourite single shot in the saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthfettus2015, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Why CAN'T this be considered a great shot, though? Sure, it's bug-nuts goofy, but not every aspect of a decades-long Machiavellian takeover has to be full of reproachful gloom, does it? I think a little rip-roaring fun, in a saga as dense and weird as SW, is aaaaaaay-okay. And just look at that guy: completely in his element, drawing his lips over his teeth, mocking the sacred Jedi Arts with Sithly abandon, as a gleaming cityscape hums and pulses in the background, but a slice of the luminous beings this single greedy force wishes to confuse, corrupt, and reign over, forever and ever. This night, Palpatine knows he rules the universe, and is damn feverish at the prospect of what is about to be his.

On the other hand, as difficult as the prior "favourite conversation" thread was for me to come up with an answer for, so is this one, times a million. I mean, we're talking about thousands upon thousands of artistic, meaningful shots -- literally. It's like ten art museums put together. And I'm meant to pick one; or even a Top 50? I'd rather do battle with a raving lunatic Palpatine. Sheeeeoooot.

Okay, so, back on the first page, I see that PiettsHat ably presented a few dozen fantastic shots, but even they are just a mere handful of "iconic" ones, to say nothing of a (relatively arbitrary) shot or a frame that may speak volumes once you pause it and consider it for even a moment. A few that I think are really awesome, though...

- The shot of the bongo descending further and further, until it actually leaves the frame, in TPM (just after it has exited one of the bubbles that make up the incredible city of Otoh Gunga).

I dunno why people have hostility to the "planet core" sequence in TPM. I think the whole sequence is ruddy brilliant. And that shot has such an absorbing, epic quality to me; especially with the music.

- The shot of Padme passing from frame-left to frame-right as she embraces Anakin's shadow and becomes a shadow herself in AOTC.

A wonderful shot on so many levels.

- The opening shot of ROTS.

I don't feel the need to explain this one, either. I'm not sure it even can be explained.

- The Falcon jumping to lightspeed in ANH.

Amazing effect, entering a whole new filmic/mythic dimension, etc., etc.

- "We will test it ... on Captain Solo" in TESB.

Love the lighting on Billy Dee Williams' face in that last shot.

- Yoda dying/Luke contemplating in ROTJ.

I dunno, but this could, in some ways, be the most beautiful one-two of the saga. The way Yoda's face slowly sinks into the bed/chair, the illumination from the fire, and then Luke's reaction, which goes from a look of horror and uncertainty to acceptance and a kind of warm pity (all in one shot) -- THAT is great art. Especially, once again, when you add in the music (and the complete sound design). The music is beautifully mournful and we hear a serene mix of trickling rain and distant thunder; it may read as a cliche but the subtle intermixing is quite stirring. Great editing really allows a gradual unfurling of sadness and respect from the viewer. Great acting, too, from Mark Hamill (SW actually has quite a lot of interest in the human face -- the fleshy, organic kind; not just masks and abstractions), and a shout-out to Frank Oz and the other Yoda craftspeople. Even the visual wipe -- a slow portal/fading of consciousness, in the form of a gentle iris-out, from the inside of Yoda's hut to Luke wandering like a lost soul beneath the wing of his flying contraption (while the music, of course, continues to work its magic) -- is entirely fitting. The whole thing is so well-done.

^^ And that's really this saga in a nutshell, isn't it? These flowing, rhythmic juxtapositions really get to you, whether you want them to or not.

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Good to see you, Cryo.

Very well put, it's a great moment. Palpatine's mischievous nature here I think comes off as more convincing than during his later (post-transformation) duel with Yoda. He's really letting himself lose inhibitions in a way he, at this stage, doesn't dare do with Anakin present. There is some humour in Samel Jackson's sounds and mannerisms in response to Sidious that suggest that this is exactly what Mace would expect from Palpatine, and Mace's steadfast determination to exterminate Palpatine really adds to the weight of Anakin's imminent arrival.
    With Yoda, however, I think it is apparent that Palaptine has already become used to getting his own way. Perhaps unintended, but although he appears to be having fun with Yoda, he seems in his element more when he is close to the opportunity to kill Mace.

Agreed, it's certainly takes me back to '99 in the cinema, when I was naive enough to not notice that the movie was more childish than it's OT predecessors. The music, the atmosphere, and the symbolism (the "bigger fish"), plus subtle meaning in Jar-Jar diverging that he was banished because he was clumsy while being completely unaware of the creature in the background about to grab the ship. It seems like a metaphor that the trio's own "clumsiness" has made them oblivious to this happening right in the shot. And of course the stark contrast in the Jedi and Jar-Jar's demeanour in response to this occurence.

Interesting on Padme symbolically becoming a shadow. This is definitely a turning point for Anakin, of course. He will not be the same when they next meet.

I particularly like that it is a predecessor to a Star destroyer, coloured, and on the Jedis' side for now. It's an inversion to all three OT opening scenes. Plus the events surrounding it, and the following scenes, make an action-packed contrast to the (seemingly) peaceful intro to TPM.

Very cool indeed. I find the timing of our heroes arriving at the remains of Alderaan just too late to see it in one piece is likely not coincidental.

Yeah, this is where you start to sympathise with Lando, if you weren't already. Vader of course characteristically callous about Han's life and even putting his own son through similar.

Well put again, although I'm not sure if I see horror in Luke's expression. More shock at the reveal, that turns to warm pity as you said.

3. PTRULES

PTRULES Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2013
    The opening shot of ROTS. WOW, it took my breath away!

Minez01, Dasan and darthbarracuda like this.
  4. Rogue9-Horn

Rogue9-Horn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    The desert scene of Luke looking out over his home in ANH, without a doubt the best scene in the saga for me!

darthbarracuda likes this.
  5. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Darth Maul taking of the hood.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  6. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

CORN ON....THE COB!!!

7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This. These two should've had more screentime together.

[​IMG]

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Sarge likes this.
  9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

This shot alone tells you that star wars is mystical journey, and I love the mysticism in star wars.

10. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    As a kid, this shot always stuck with me for some unexplained reason. Little did I know that many years later it would become relatively personal on many levels. It is without a doubt a beautiful wide shot. Then there's 'The Williams' factor, obviously...

[​IMG]

You see, Mr. Lucas did know what he was doing 'sometimes'... back in the day... before the dark times... before the CGI! ;)

11. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    It kind of has to have the movement and music, but this scene has always been the most provocative for me:

[​IMG]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

Even as a little kid, I was always looking for "that shot" in the middle of the action. It may sound weird, but after all these years, I can still remember watching ROTJ in the theater at seven years old and, when this shot came on the screen, a reflexive "Oohhhh!" escaping my lips.

I had found my shot.

13. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    The Falcon flying through the clouds of Bespin. So beautiful. And the music is perfect.

Sarge likes this.
  14. RogueLieutenant

RogueLieutenant Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

While TPM is my least favorite of the 6, this is still my favorite shot/moment. Qui Gon taking time to meditate during the duel has always stuck out to me as being truly Jedi-like.

15. darth_revan96

darth_revan96 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 18, 2015
    When Luke snaps and gives into his anger its just awesome!

[​IMG]

You must go to the Dagobah system, there you will learn from Yoda...
    Such an awesome scene showing that Obi-Wan was more powerful than Vader could ever hope to be and it showed Luke Wasn't Alone, plus the force theme is always awesome.

[​IMG]

Such an amazing scene were Luke really shows use of the force for the first time, it always makes me smile.
    [​IMG]

16. Isaiah9823

Isaiah9823 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Death Star's final destruction over Endor