main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favourite super-group

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Welshguy, Dec 8, 2004.

?

Favourite super-group

Poll closed Dec 26, 2004.
  1. U2

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. REM

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Oasis

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Radiohead

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. The Rolling Stones

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
  2. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    With Christmas nearly upon us we will all no doubt get a CD off someone.

So out of all the super-groups that are still around and making music (hence no Beatles, Nirvana etc), which is your favourite and why?

3. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I was torn between U2 and The Rolling Stones. Both are brilliant groups, and I love both of their music. In the end, I went for U2 because even though I love the Stones, I feel that U2's music is more for my generation.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm gonna say The Rolling Stones, simply because I saw them live last year.

5. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I should have really put a option for "other", but if anyone wants to vote for someone like The Chili Peppers, Green Day or anyone else, then just say so in your message.

6. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    That was hard, as I am a huge fan of both REM and U2... but I voted U2. :D

7. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Um, how about CREAM?

They had 3 of the greatest musicians to ever live and without them you would never have had half of the rock bands during the 60s/70s.

I dont call any of the above a supergroup, they need real out of this world musicians and that is what Cream had.

Even Hendrix played a tribute to them when they broke up.

And to even think Zeppelin are not there is beyond belief.

EDIT: Welshguy, dont put these 2 up though. Most of the users probably havent heard of Cream and only know Led Zeppelin from Stairway to Heaven (Which is an awful song for Zep).

8. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    As I mentioned in my post, only groups that are still together and making music are in the list. If I were to make a list that included every super-group down the years, it would take up half of this forum.

So no Beatles, Cream, Zeplin, Guns n' Roses, Nirvana or Spice Girls.

9. Count_Cuckoo

Oct 15, 2001
    My apologies Welshguy

10. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    REM for me.

11. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Voted for U2

12. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Mr Pedantic here but when i think of super group i think of a mixture of big bands eg Velvet Revolver.

13. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

Well of those there I would go for U2. But I would vote for 5 guys from brum who have been going for 26 years.

*Waits for Yosh to roll eyes*.

I cant help it! I got my ticket for the gig in May at B'ham City ground today.

RIO ! RIO ! RIO !

14. nathan_sith

nathan_sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2004
    i think i heard right, 'Stairway is a bad song for zep'

see, i think i know what you're trying to say, & really its pap. stairway to heaven is one of greatest songs ever written! on possibly my favourite album by anyone ever (zep 4/four symbols) yeah its as close to 'pop' (as in popular) zep get but so what, songs that good deserve more than that cooku!

eg, under the bridge, one of the most overplayed songs there is- still gets people listening to that band or that type of music.

I personally would say REM out of the choices- they still got it, where as U2 never had it! (I know i'll get stung for that but the man just screeches horribly!)

15. Count_Cuckoo

Oct 15, 2001
    nathan-sith, Its only that I hate most commercial music and as you said that is the most commercial you can get for Zep. Its a good song on what I would call their finest album.

On the subject of under the bridge, another great song which was massacred by a pop band. I can't even listen to it now. All saints doing a song about Heroin addiction, even if its a cover is a no no. Maybe thats why that Appleton girl was a wreck on I'm a celeb. :eek:

I doubt we will hear a finer album released from now on to rival Led Zep 4 though. Truly one of the greatest listens ever. :cool:

16. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    Out of that lot, US. But where's Queen, Led Zep and Black Sabbath?

17. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    Well of those there I would go for U2. But I would vote for 5 guys from brum who have been going for 26 years.

*Waits for Yosh to roll eyes*.

Oooooooooooo I wonder who you could meen?? :rolleyes:

[face_mischief] :p

18. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    majin_yami: I refer the right honrable poster to the answer I made previously.

For me it has to be REM. I think Automatic for the People is one of the top 5 albums ever made. Though New Adventures in HiFi is vastly under-rater and quite possibly their best work.

I was however massivly dissapointed with Once Around the Sun. Where were the classic hooks? Where were the sing along numbers? Where was the brave new sound that redefines REM with every new album?

Sadly they did have a new sound for this one, but it was bland, instantly forgettable and a massive let down. Even the best track (Leaving New York) would hardly pass for filler on their other albums. Every single track seemed to blend into one long, slow slog of melancholy and dullness.

For me to say something like this about REM is unheard of. I've been a massive fan of theirs since the early 90's and have always defended them and their work to anyone who didn't "get" it. After the critical and commerical acclaimed of "Reveal", I was hoping that REM were going to make a return to the more mainstream, lister friendly music that they became famous for, but this album is a big step backwards in my opinion.

An amazing live band though (best in the world?) and I will be front row centre when they come to Cardiff next year.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Are The Beatles not considered a super-group?

EDIT: Its appears I should read threads first before replying [face_blush]

20. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I can only assume from Welsh's list that the idea is for supergroups STILL around today.

No matter how old they may be.
    (Not that I am against the elderly. Honest.)

21. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    *thumps head against desk*

Please read the posts above on why groups like The Beatles are not included.

22. nathan_sith

nathan_sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Count-and all of you really.

Go grab Diamond Head's greatest hits if you'ver never heard of them, then sit in disbelief looking mornfully at your metallica cd's

Stourbridge's finest!!

23. MasterChapRimera

MasterChapRimera Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Where are Busted on that list?

only joking

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
  25. _Jedi-Luke_

_Jedi-Luke_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2005
    sorry but I just like one "super-group",that is 'Fellowship of the Ring'. [face_monkey] ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.