main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Favourite Yuuzhan Vong character/s?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by themetresgained, Mar 6, 2013.

1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    And why?

Here's a list off the top of my head:
    • Nom Anor
    • Prefect Da'Gara
    • Shedao Shai
    • Tsavong Lah
    • Vua Rapuung
    • Yomin Carr
    • Malik Carr
    • Nen Yim
    • Mezhan Kwaad
    • Harrar
    • Onimi
    • Shimrra
    • Elan
    • Nas Choka
    I think my favourite is probably Nen Yim. I feel like her arc as a heretic was the most interesting. Though special mention goes to Nom Anor for being so very human.

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Nom Anor, something about his journey. So close to realizing the error with the selfdestructive nature of the YV, the tossing all his revelations for power.

It was very human...just not the best parts of humanity.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Nom Anor and Vua Rapuung. Nom Anor is the 2nd best villain in the EU behind Thrawn. I want to see a Rapuung be a main character in the post-NJO timeline. It would have been great if Domains Kwaad and Rapuung followed Tahiri as personal bodyguards.

MistrX likes this.
  4. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    It would definitely be better than Leia's constant Noghri bodyguards. They were good at first but after a while it just stops making sense.

5. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Nom Anor was excellent because it reminded me a bit of that parable of the Scorpion and the Frog - it's in his nature to be self-serving.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I wish we could see some more Noghri though. How about Lowie and Lumpy?

7. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I like the Noghri but not really as Leia's bodyguards: I thought it was a bit weird they were all like *worshipworshipworship* even after they figured out that Vader betrayed them. You could argue then that they try to repay her for saving Honoghr and the Noghri (as much as she could do anyway) but then they still call her Lady Vader, after the man that screwed them over. I don't really get it.

I kind of sympathise with Han in not wanting Lowie and Lumpy to take on Chewie's Life Debt. Isn't a Life Debt a debt for life? I'd say that Chewie fulfilled that admirably and there's no need for anyone else to serve Han.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I've never thought about that with the Noghri. I sort of wish Lowie or Lumpy did it so we can see them more often

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I will go for Nom Anor as he is the main villain of the series, though like all good villains he wobbles a lot in his position and is not actually a friend of his own governments.

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I really hate Nom Anor, but he was so interesting to read and follow that I enjoyed his arcs to a degree.

He and Nen Yim had personalities that weren't really seen in most of the others.

11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Nen Yim. Big fan.

12. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Nom Anor had such an interesting life in NJO. From infiltrator to political mastermind to heretic to counsellor. Up, down, left, right. He just went everywhere in the books and honestly he was a pretty villainous character but he was one of those that as a reader you just wanted to know more about. Whether he would live even another day was interesting and him backstabbing people in order to get an advantage over his rivals or foes.

Nen Yim I also found to be a bit sympathetic character. Honestly, I never expected her to have a bigger role after she first appeared but she grew on me.

Finally, I quite liked Harrar by the end. Wasn't that much of a character to begin with but he grew into one when he joined on that mission to Zonama Sekot. Funnily, all three that I mentioned were the ones on the Zonama Sekot mission...

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    It first occurred to me that this would be a good question to ask the boards when I was reading the Sekot books :p

14. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Nom Anor. Endlessly fascinating to read about. And his death fits him rather well.

And yeah, Vua Rapuung, too. Nice to get an honorable YV.

Cronal and rumsmuggler like this.
  15. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    I'm reading through the NJO for the first time at the moment and they've all blended into two camps: Vong who are Nom Anor and Vong who aren't Nom Anor.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Nom Anor is not dead.
    Vua is the best!

General Immodet likes this.
  17. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    Nom Anor is probably the best villian in EU. He is purely self motivated, no grand plan, just a schemer looking for an end that suited his means. After him I would say Czulkang Lah, Shimmra, Nen Yim

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Darn, I forgot Czulkang Lah. I liked him too - thought he was really interesting, and his relationship with his son told us a little more about how the Yuuzhan Vong think about family.

19. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    For me, I'd have to say Nei Rin. I find everything about her fascinating, from her design―which is different and alien, yet somehow very human and beautiful in its own way―to her close friendship with Kol Skywalker, the fact that she's a healer, and her vibe as just a generally good person. I look forward to hopefully seeing more of her in some way with Legacy's continuation.

20. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Can I choose Riina Kwaad?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I really like Nas Choka and Nom Anor!
    I like Choka because he is a military type of person. He should have made more appearances!
    I like Anor because he ressembles Palpatine. He really is manipulative. I did not like they way they wrote him off.
    I still see him come back to manipulate things from behind the scenes!

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    He is Wyn Dorvan.

General Immodet likes this.
  23. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    Ahhhhh, no way he's not Wynn (though I may be biased).

I forgot about Nei Rin, I loved her character. I love the Vong in general though. I really wish they would appear more after NJO.

I think someone mentioned it in another thread before but I think it would be great to have an anthology book all about Vong characters. Like Tales of Zonama Sekot or Tales from the Void

24. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    Overall favorite? Nom Anor, probably. Great villain, oddly compelling despite being totally slime (perhaps because of the contrast between him and most of the rest of his society) and, by about the last third of the NJO or so, at least as centric to the plot as the heroes. Nen Yim is a close second, offering a more openly sympathetic take on the Vong while still reminding us just how twisted their society is (seriously, she'll basically get you engaging with her and rooting for her in her POV sections, then come along with a powerful reminder that she's a scientist in a cutlure where performing brutal experiments on sentient beings without their consent is simply considered standard operating procedure for laboratory science). I do wish she could have lived, though. Otherwise, Tsavong Lah was also a great villain, but was somewhat hampered by the fact that the writers couldn't quite seem to decide if he should be a canny strategist or a frothing fanatic (in particular, he seems to have lost several IQ points between Enemy Lines and Destiny's Way) and Onimi is delightfully twisted, albeit totally repulsive. I'm also a big fan of Tahiri, if she counts post-Shaping (something that, alas, seems to have been largely dropped since Dark Nest).

On the whole I really enjoyed the Vong, and wish that half as much effort had been put into fleshing out individual members of the Confederacy or the Lost Tribe.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nom Anor has my respect for being the only Vongie to realize the Galactic Empire was their number one threat, and to take active steps to destroy it. Of course, he also has my everlasting enmity too.

I never liked Yahoo Instant Messenger.

Gorefiend likes this.