main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Fear Factor Friday - Discussion Thread and Index - New Halloween Challenge--due Nov. 4

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Fear_Factor_Friday, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    Thank you Daena. Still not quite sure about the distinction where writing is concerend. Angst is when it's more from the inside and doesn't have to be objectively there? :confused:

So~ if my character is in a fight and scared because she doesn't want to die or screw up, that is fear.
    If she's moping around afterwards because she sent somebody she liked into death - that is angst? :confused:
    Still doesn't sound all right to me. :oops:

2. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Ooh, I think I might have something for this! [face_dancing] Hooray for deadline extensions!

I think you've pretty much got it, Etain. I think angst works best here if it's more of the creepy sort.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    In my opinion, yes and no. Fear can be angsty, but angst does not have to involve fear, they are not mutually exclusive. Yes, the feelings in the fight are fear but they are also angst, the moping at the end is angst but has nothing to do with fear.

In the Wiki about angst I think they make it confusing by saying that it's a word for fear or anxiety. You can be anxious and not have fear but I don't think you can have fear without anxiety. To me it is the anxiety that makes angst.

The dictonary on my computer defines angst as:
    a feeling of deep anxiety or dread, typically an unfocused one about the human condition or the state of the world in general
    ? informal a feeling of persistent worry about something trivial

which to me is a little better definition.

I think a story can be in the genre of angst when it deals with fear, but also when there is tension, people are feeling on edge and emotions are running high. Angst can be a feeling just like fear, but it also can be an abstract idea.

I hope that makes sense. 8-}

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Do you enjoy placing our dear lovely characters into dreadful situations where there seems to be no chance of escape and keep your readers in suspense with it?
    Yes. I find it interesting to crawl into a character's head and explore the various reasons and causes of their angst.

Do you think it difficult to write angsty stories?

Nope. I find it to be a fun challenge to find realistic angst.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've been kinda lurking around this challenge, and I totally spaced on the challenge date, but I'd love to see another FFF :D

6. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I'd love to see this turn into a weekly thing - I missed the first one, sadly!

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    New challenge and new discussion topic soon!

Just in time for Halloween, right? [face_pumpkin]

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    How appropriate that I'm actually cooking up a horror fic. I doubt I could use the fic for the challenge, but I'm quite interested in this.

Curious, though... I see the word "angst" being used often. When I read "fear factor," I take it as that; to pertain to fear. As in, the character would be scared, fearing for their life, fearing for someone else's life, etc. Their heart would be pounding, they would be soaked in sweat, their stomach in their throat, the breathing fast and shallow. Their eyes would dart to all the dark corners, risking furtive glimpses at the place where no one ever wants to look; the corner of their eye. Their thoughts would be racing, conjuring up the extremes of the situation, focusing on the most negative aspect. They would be afraid.

However, angst conjures up images of brooding, worrying, nagging emotional diatribes, silent vigils as the character fusses over every little aspect of oh how did they end up in this situation, will they ever pull themselves out of a rut? Or the focus of their emotions is in such a disabled state that the character dare not leave their side and they fret over every noise that escapes that character's throat, every muscle spasm, and worried that the very next night could be the end. Or, their worry is centered over something that happened to them. Oh, why does everyone treat them so badly? How dare they, can they not see the suffering? Granted, it is a form of fear, but it is a decidedly different form.

And seeing as how the next challenge may pertain to Halloween in some way, I assume that the "fear" and "angst" may be more of the former paragraph, rather than the latter. So, I guess you could say that I'm a bit confused as to what is expected. I read the topic, but I'm still confused. Do you want gut-wrenching horror or broody emotional angst?

9. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    The angst thing was for the previous challenge. And it was interesting to see in which way angst is defined depending on the person. This time around I can say for certain there won't be any emotional angst stuff to deal with. The problem with emotional angst is that the stories mostly turn into mushy stuff, which isn't what this thread is about.

*looks over to Maggy* No mush for this round, right?

Anyway, gut wrenching horror sounds perfectly fine. :D

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooo, I've been hoping to see this back so I can try my hand at it! And it's the perfect time of the year!

11. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    You've got my attention. Lol. Can't wait to see what

12. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Is it ok for me to mention that the next Monday Mush Mania, which will be on the 31st of October, will have a horror theme?

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
  14. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    In light of Halloween approaching at a fast pace -- a new challenge!

During the first round, we dealt with "angst". This time around, we're dealing with fear.

Cold, gut-wrenching fear. We're not talking about this whiny, pansy, cry-baby fear, we're talking about the kind of fear that will make your blood run cold, that will make it almost impossible to breathe, that will make your heart stop.

So this is your challenge:

We want you to write about one of the good guys. Choose whoever you want to write about but it's important that he or she is one of the good guys. Turn this good guy into a bad guy.

Think "Saw" meets "Scream" meets "Halloween" meets "Friday the 13th".

This is the kind of bad guy you're going for.

But remember! *whisper* Terms of Service....*whisper* So don't go all out.

The story should include the following:

- a weapon of your choosing

- a blood curdling scream

- a shadow lurking in the dark

- something Halloween-ish

Deadline is November 4th 2011.

Have fun and give your readers goosebumps.

[image=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ellwynx/MySpace/Halloween/HappyHalloweenIcon.jpg]

15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Turning good guys into bad guys is right up my alley. Everyone has their dark side, the challenge is finding the perfect one and exploiting it for my own evil ends. Now, who to turn into a cannibal...

16. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    Oh wow. I read this and the gears in my head are turning so fast they're smoking.

I know what I'm going to do and its kind of really disturbing and gross.

I'm excited and a little bit worried about my mind thinking of it... :p

17. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Oh, wow. I kinda have something already in the works that really works for this. Hmm, wonder if I could finish it in time?

18. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    The deadline is this Friday.

How're the fics coming along? I'm looking forward to reading what you've come up with. :D

I'm pulling a blank, admittedly. No idea what to write but hey...Friday is still a few days away. :p

19. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
  20. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    So the Holidays are coming and even though it's a time of joy and happiness, in this thread there will be none of that.

Muhahahahahahaha. :p

Holiday Challenge coming soon! [face_skull]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.