main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger."

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by aPPmaSTer, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    How does fear lead to anger? I don't get it.

"Anger leads to hate." This one makes sense.
    "Hate leads to suffering." As does this one.

2. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    fear usually leads to confusion, when one is confused they get angry, it's human nature. When one gets angry they hate.

so

fear>confusion>anger>hate

also, no one likes to have fear, when someone is scared they feel silly and threatened, like they are not in control...so anger comes into it again.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    One could use homophobia as an example. Many would say that it is fear of something different or something not understood that leads to the "anger" and violence against gays.

4. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Yoda is refering in that scene to a specific kind of fear. It's not the Stephen King being-chased-down-a-dark-hall-by-a-vampire type of fear. It's the subdued sense of fear that Anakin has at leaving his mother behind. Ki Adi Mundi says it. "Your thoughts dwell on your mother."

When you walk around in life with that kind of fear bubbling under the surface, you tend to seive things through it without even recognizing that fact. It colors your perceptions, exactly the way it colors Anakin's perceptions through AOTC and ROTS, and that can affect behavior. That fear of loss causes him to respond badly at critical moments and become angry and make even worse judgments. He rushes to attack Dooku (he sounds angry before doing it.) He slaughters the sandpeople. He disobeys the council.

It's interesting to me that Lucas gave Yoda that line in TPM now. We see Anakin go right through those steps in the next two films.

5. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    ^
    Yeah, that.

Why did Anakin turn to the Dark Side? Out of fear of (and anger over) losing those he loved - first his mother, then Padmé.

6. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    His fear of losing those he loves turns into anger when he realizes that he really can do nothing to stop it.

7. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Yoda is refering in that scene to a specific kind of fear.

Yep, not all fear will lead to anger.

8. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Hey voodoo check you're pm's once in a while!

9. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    It's also chemical. Fear and anger both lead to a similar hormonal reaction (in humans at least): The release of Epinephrine aka adrenaline. A fight-or-flight response.

10. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Anakin - afraid to lose Padme - Anger

11. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Fear of losing Shmi caused Anakin to be angry when he realized he did lose her. That made him look at who took her...the sand people. "THey are animals, and I slaughtered them like Animals, I hate THEM." He was clearly suffering as he spoke that line and in turn...he was nearing the darkside of the force. You see it in Mundane things such as computer use. People always are afraid they are going to break their computers, so much so they don't learn to use them properly. Because they never learn how to use them, they become angry when they don't work properly. Finally, they call me, the tech person after struggling for 6 hours and they tell me they hate the thing so much that they want to throw it out the window. They are clearly distraught and suffering.

Carnage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.