main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Fear Of Failure (young Qui-Gon) - Chapter 4 (13/11/2007)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Fifilla, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Title: Fear Of Failure
    Author: Fifilla
    Timeframe: Qui-Gon is 23 and on his first mission as a Knight
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Mys?laron (OC), Sahria Tazzil (OC)
    Summary: I adopted a plot bunny from greencat336:
    What if while a Padawan and young Knight, Qui-Gon Jinn was a straight and narrow, Code and Council are always right, follow the rules, kinda guy. Then, something terrible happens because he was following a strict interpretation of the Code and/or obeying what the Council had told him to do. He has a crisis of faith, and in the end decides that although he can trust the Force that the Code and Council are open to being challenged. In other words, he becomes the maverick Jedi we all know and love.
    The story didn?t turn out exactly as I imagined and I?m not sure if I completely covered what greencat336 expected from this plot bunny, but I hope you enjoy the story anyway.
    Notes: English is not my native language so please forgive me my mistakes!
    Thanks to my Master Valairy_Scot for betaing and for her help and support. [:D]
    Disclaimer: I unfortunately do not own any of the SW characters, they all belong to Lucasfilm and George Lucas.
    Master Mys?laron and her Padawan Sahria Tazzil are my own creation.

We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success. We often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery.
    ~ Samuel Smiles ~

Chapter 1: New Habits

Qui-Gon awoke with a start; his heart throbbed fast in his chest.

What was he thinking, taking a nap mid-afternoon? What would his Master think if he found him like this, resting on the couch and doing nothing?

He brought himself into a sitting position and frantically rubbed his eyes.

And then ? finally ? reality caught up with him.

A big grin spread on Qui-Gon?s face and he let himself sink back on the couch.

There was no Master to tell him what he should do. He wasn?t a Padawan anymore.

He could do what he wanted, when he wanted and where he wanted. As long as he observed the temple rules and didn?t neglect his duties he could organize his time as it pleased him.

Qui-Gon shook his head. It was really funny. There wasn?t a single one of the one hundred forty-six days that had passed since his knighting when he didn?t have that feeling of?

He searched for the right word and finally decided that ?guilt? was probably the correct term. He felt guilty when he slept in broad daylight instead of exercising or learning. He felt guilty when he met his friends in the cantina and they were in a hurry to return to their duties while he sat there as long as he wanted and enjoy his tea.

Qui-Gon wondered if those feelings would ever die away.

He had duties to attend, that wasn?t the point.

Every second day he supervised a small group of initiates. Sometimes they meditated together, on other days he showed them some basic sparring techniques. He even planned to take the whole group outside the temple and show them a small part of Coruscant.

Qui-Gon really enjoyed these afternoons; it was fun to work with all those young and eager children.

All young Knights had similar duties as long as they weren?t sent on missions. Qui-Gon supposed that this was seen as some kind of preparation for the time when the Knights would choose their first apprentice.

He looked forward to that time, even if he couldn?t imagine that it would be anytime soon. He was only 23 years old, in his mind far too young to take a Padawan. Qui-Gon knew that his own Master, Dooku, had been even younger when he had become his Padawan.

Qui-Gon sighed deeply and banished Dooku from his mind. At the moment he had no intention to ruin his day with unpleasant thoughts.

He looked at the chrono ? it was late afternoon.

Apart from his work with the initiates he had no other regular duties. All Jedi certainly had the obligation to meditate and keep themselve

2. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Great start with this!=D= I can't wait to see where you're going with the story. I have a feeling that this mission isn't going to be as straightforward as Qui-Gon thinks.[face_thinking]
    Anyway, please PM me as you update.[face_praying] Again, awesome job!

3. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    if you've read the JA books, they never are. And if I had my JA books, I'd pull out a quote from Yoda.

Great story. Please keep going. I, a college student who didn't get much sleep last night, can totally understand Qui Gon's feelings right now. ARggggggg

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This looks amazing! I saw it linked on the plot bunny thread and got to read it earlier today.

Please put me on the PM list! :D

=D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great start and I like to follow this story. Please give me a PM And I am a non native writer too.

6. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I quite like ANY story involving Qui-Gon, he's my favorite character (hence my username). Please PM me when you update, this is awesome!!

7. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Wow! I'm so very interested to see where you go with that bunny! Nice work, so far. :)

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm not surprised Qui-Gon is struggling with his newly earned knighthood. I would imagine most of the Jedi go throught the same thing.

I hope he's able to relax enough to be prepared for his upcoming mission.

Please PM me when you update

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Oh, very neat. It's nice to see young Qui-gon, it's not something I normally read because I don't believe there is that many stories about him? Is that true? Anyway, I'm intriqued by your writing and I can't wait to see where Qui-gon's mission leads him. PM please. Thank you.

10. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Ooh, interesting beginning thus far. So Qui-Gon is a newly made knight going to be off on his first mission :D

If you've got a PM list, please put me on it :D I love stories dealing with a younger Qui-Gon.

11. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    PM List:
    jedidas3
    VaderLVR64
    earlybird-obi-wan
    Quigonjecca
    KELIA
    Cole_Kenobi
    Jinngerbread

jedidas3:
    I have a feeling that this mission isn't going to be as straightforward as Qui-Gon thinks. [face_thinking]
    You should always trust your feelings? ;)
    Again, awesome job!
    Thank you so much! :)

JediKaren:
    Great story. Please keep going.
    Thanks a lot! :) I will!
    I, a college student who didn't get much sleep last night, can totally understand Qui Gon's feelings right now. ARggggggg
    I hope you slept better the last few nights ? enjoy the next chapter.

VaderLVR64:
    This looks amazing! I saw it linked on the plot bunny thread and got to read it earlier today.
    I adopted this plot bunny months ago and now I finally managed to post something.
    Thanks for reading! :)

earlybird-obi-wan:
    Great start and I like to follow this story. Please give me a PM
    Thank you ? PM is on the way.
    And I am a non native writer too.
    You are from the Netherlands, aren?t you? I?m from Germany, so we are kind of neighbors :D

Quigonjecca:
    I quite like ANY story involving Qui-Gon, he's my favorite character (hence my username).
    He is my favorite character too :D
    Please PM me when you update, this is awesome!!
    You are on the PM list ? thanks a lot for reading!

greencat336:
    Wow! I'm so very interested to see where you go with that bunny! Nice work, so far. :)
    Thank you!
    I hope you will enjoy the story; after all it was your plot bunny :)

KELIA:
    I'm not surprised Qui-Gon is struggling with his newly earned knighthood. I would imagine most of the Jedi go throught the same thing.
    I think it must be really difficult to be on one's own after years and years of close guidance.
    Looking forward to more
    Thanks a lot for reading ? enjoy the next chapter.

Cole_Kenobi:
    Oh, very neat. It's nice to see young Qui-gon, it's not something I normally read because I don't believe there is that many stories about him? Is that true?
    You are probably right. There are a couple of stories about Qui-Gon?s apprenticeship but I would love to read more about his early years as a Knight and Master.

Jinngerbread:
    Ooh, interesting beginning thus far. So Qui-Gon is a newly made knight going to be off on his first mission :D
    Thanks for reading :)
    Enjoy the next chapter and learn more about the mission?

Chapter 2: Mission Assignment

?The planets of the Orus Sector wish to form a trade alliance. The negotiations will take place on Chazwa, more exactly in Iritsa, the capital of Chazwa. Participants will be the seven inhabited planets of the Orus Sector, which are Kimanan, Lafra, Mantessa, Daltarra, Joiol, Poderis and Chazwa itself. As you probably know is Chazwa already a minor contact point in the Perlemian Trade Route, but the planets of the Orus Sector wish to work closer together in the future.?

Master Tyvokka?s deep barking voice easily filled the Council chamber. The huge Wookiee master looked rather intimidating but Qui-Gon knew that behind this harsh façade his heart was in the right place. Master Tyvokka?s Padawan, Plo Koon, was one of Qui-Gon?s closest friends and when he was younger he had spent a lot of his spare time in Tyvokka?s and Plo?s company.

Qui-Gon found it somehow comforting that it was Master Tyvokka who did the mission briefing. He was also glad about the fact that only two more Council members were present. Master Oppo Rancisis and Master Yoda sat on their respective chairs and followed Tyvokka?s report attentively.

Qui-Gon still suffered from his headache and he had some problems concentrating on what Tyvokka was saying. He breathed deeply and finally the headache seemed to vanish.

?But unfortunately there is a large group of people on Chazwa, who don?t w

12. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    Qui-Gon shook his head. No, his way of interpreting the Force had to be wrong. He would do exactly what the Council had ordered.

Hmmm...[face_thinking] wonder how long that will last?

Excellent update. I love the way that you are building up the history and the mission that they are about to undertake. Great job and thanks for the PM. [:D]

13. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, that doesn't sound good. If he ignores the Force then he's going to get into big trouble. I tried to read the mission info very carefully. I figured there are things hidden in there that Qui-Gon is missing. He needs to read everything!

Good job. Please PM me with updates.

14. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007

But only a few minutes later he suddenly sighed. Hadn?t he always complained about Dooku?s way to disregard the Council?s orders? And here he was just about to do the same even before he started on his first mission?

Qui-Gon shook his head. No, his way of interpreting the Force had to be wrong. He would do exactly what the Council had ordered.

Ack, I echo what Diane said. Listen to the Force, Qui-Gon, or you're going to get in big trouble. Then again, guess that is the idea, isn't it? ;) Aii, he's not going to be prepared enough to handle it if he's not listening to the Force.

Excellent work! Looking forward to more :)

15. Cole_Kenobi

Aug 17, 2005
    Oh, so Qui-gon's defiance started early eh, aha. It sounds like he is unsure of himself when it comes to trusting his own judgment, this first misson sounds like it's going to lead to danger. And then he'll learn from his mistakes, and I guess this next mission we'll see a shift to him constanly relying on his feelings on what the Force tells him, the Qui-gon that he grows to be?

Wonderful update, thanks for the PM.

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    heading to danger no doubt and nice Yoda giving Qui-Gon his title.

Great update

17. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    you did the plot bunny justice. very nice start :D

18. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I loved Qui-Gon's meticulous preperations for his first mission.

Interesting the Force is whispering so loudly to him and not the Council members...or have they learned to ignore it?

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004

Qui-Gon's strength is in listening to the Force...no matter what. I hope he remembers that.

=D=

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    It's up and getting the responses you deserve. I'd better get busy and beta the next chapter(s), huh?

Great job padawan.

21. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    PM List:
    jedidas3
    VaderLVR64
    earlybird-obi-wan
    Quigonjecca
    KELIA
    Cole_Kenobi
    Jinngerbread
    dianethx

jedidas3:
    Excellent update. I love the way that you are building up the history and the mission that they are about to undertake. Great job and thanks for the PM. [:D]
    Thank you so much ? I hope you enjoy the next chapter.

dianethx:
    Well, that doesn't sound good. If he ignores the Force then he's going to get into big trouble.
    [face_worried] I think you are right!
    Good job. Please PM me with updates.
    Thanks for reading ? PM is on the way.

Jinngerbread:
    Ack, I echo what Diane said. Listen to the Force, Qui-Gon, or you're going to get in big trouble. Then again, guess that is the idea, isn't it? ;)
    Yes, that?s the idea :D ? poor Qui-Gon! :(
    Excellent work! Looking forward to more :)
    Thank you! I?m glad you like the story.

Cole_Kenobi:
    It sounds like he is unsure of himself when it comes to trusting his own judgment, this first misson sounds like it's going to lead to danger.
    Yes, Qui-Gon is pretty unsure of himself because it?s the first time without the guidance of his Master.
    Wonderful update, thanks for the PM.
    Thank you so much! You are welcome!

earlybird-obi-wan:
    heading to danger no doubt and nice Yoda giving Qui-Gon his title.
    Great update

Thank you for reading! :)

SilSolo:
    you did the plot bunny justice. very nice start :D
    Thank you! :) I?m glad you like it!

KELIA:
    Interesting the Force is whispering so loudly to him and not the Council members...or have they learned to ignore it?
    I think they can hear it also but they cannot interfere because of political constriction.
    Great update
    Thank you! [face_blush]

VaderLVR64:
    Qui-Gon's strength is in listening to the Force...no matter what. I hope he remembers that.
    It?s his first mission and he is very unsure of himself ? but he will learn. The only question is, will he learn fast enough? [face_worried]

Valairy_Scot:
    Great job padawan.
    Thank you so much, Master! [:D]

Chapter 3: Teaming Up

Early the next morning Qui-Gon arrived at docking bay 4C. His excitement about the imminent mission had made him wake up long before the alarm clock had rung.

Although he was a bit early, Master Mys?laron and her Padawan were already waiting.

Mys?laron was a Twi?lek with purple skin. Both of her lekkus were wrapped with beige leather strips that perfectly matched the color of her clothes. Qui-Gon didn?t know exactly how old she was, but he knew that Sahria was already her fourth Padawan. This meant that Mys?laron couldn?t be much younger than 60 years; but like all Twi?lek women she had a native grace that attracted a lot of looks and didn?t give a hint of her true age.

Mys?laron was almost as tall as Qui-Gon, a fact that dwarfed the girl who stood beside her even more. Sahria Tazzil was 11 years old and for her age rather small. Her almost not visible braid showed that her Padawan status still was quite new. She had short dark blond hair that curled on her head in wild untamed strands and her big brown eyes sparkled with curiosity.

Qui-Gon approached them, bowed and said, ?Good morning, Master Mys?laron. It gives me great pleasure to attend a mission with you.?

Mys?laron smiled and laid her hand on Qui-Gon?s arm.

?Good morning, Qui-Gon. I?m also glad that it is you who will join us.?

Then she turned towards her Padawan and said gently, ?Sahria, this is Knight Qui-Gon Jinn.?

Sahria seemed to be very self-confident for a girl in her young age for she didn?t wait for her Master to introduce her. She took a perfect little bow before Qui-Gon and said, ?Good morning, Knight Jinn. My name is Sahria Tazzil.?

Qui-Gon couldn?t help but smile - he immediately liked Sahria. Her presence in the

22. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was wonderful.

I loved the friendship beginning to develop between Qui-Gon and Sahria.

But now I'm dying to know what happened on his first mission!!

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

23. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    It sounds like things might get a little hectic once they arrive. Qui-Gon's feelings are telling him something's not right and he'll learn to listen to them eventually.

This made me sad.
    Qui-Gon had some trouble to imagine how such a Master-Padawan relationship would work. His own Master, Dooku, and Qui-Gon himself were different in almost all things and they had disagreed on almost everything. Qui-Gon had to admit that because of their differences his time as a Padawan had been often difficult and stressful but nevertheless he had learnt a lot from Dooku.

Poor kid. Although he learned a lot, how much more might he have learned if Dooku had been a different type of master. Oh, well.

Looking forward to more.

24. Cole_Kenobi

Aug 17, 2005
    Awww, this chapter had a very nice feeling about it. I love how easily Qui-gon made the situation of working with another master and her padawan. Aha, I love their personalities. I could just picture the girl's reslestness and excitement. I really want to hear this story of Qui-gon's first mission aha. Wonderful update, thanks bunches. :)

25. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    Wonderful update!=D= I really enjoy how you continue to build up the story that makes the reader wanting more. So how about it? More soon, please?[face_praying]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.