main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Feature length fan film trilogy? We need help.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by YodaDaMax, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaDaMax

YodaDaMax Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2003
    The website is back up, animation free. Check it out.

2. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Why anyone would want to remake Dark Star is beyond me. When will John Carpenter do the Special Edition?

3. YodaDaMax

Sep 11, 2003
    I just saw a copy of that movie at the library this saturday, but you've got to remember, that this is Star Wars Darkstar not just Darkstar. All confusion should disappear.

4. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Bosh was using, um <cough>, sarcasm.

5. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    i would be much more supportive of this project if it were a remake of John Carpenter's Vampires.

i heart that movie.

"you got wood, padre? got mahogany?

6. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    "Vampires." Man, talk about a flick that started interesting and went absolutely nowhere.

Anyhoo, lemme scroll up and see what this thread's about. lesee here... fan film, trilogy, high school, feture length, blah blah blah...

Geez, you guys sure like to hear yourselves talk, doncha?

-Le Penguin
    "Good luck with allll that."

7. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    This thread is about fan-films?

8. QuicksilverG4

QuicksilverG4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2003
    Allright, let's start over. Obviously, YoDaMax, you want help. However, you haven't given us anywhere to start. You might find this quote interesting from a set of guidelines for posting and replying that we use all the time on my other forums:

"Sample Question: I'm having problems with my motherboard. Can anybody help?

J. Random Hacker's response to this is likely to be ?Right. Do you need burping and diapering, too?? followed by a punch of the delete key."

What this humorous dialog is pointing out is that we need more specifically-worded questions. I, for one, can't write a 500-page book, but if you want to know how to do a specific task, I (or someone else more knowledgeable than me) should be able to help.

Now that that's out of the way, do you have anything more specific that you needed help on?

9. YodaDaMax

Sep 11, 2003
    Using your computer analogy, my question wouldn't be "i'm having trouble with my motherboard." It would be "I want to builda computer. How should I start and does anyone want to help?"

Specifically, right now,I want to know how to make reasonably priced masks and costumes. Focusing more on masks.

10. QuicksilverG4

Mar 19, 2003
    Well, I don't think you can make masks. Okay? They're made out of rubber or latex, and there's hair, and all of that stuff. It's too hard to do that and make a film, plus you probably need some special equipment that costs a lot of money. I'd start Google-searching for something like "Latex masks" or something and find a store where you can order them. Check out these links:

Latex Mask Central

(use the links sidebar)

Random Mask Site

11. BespinBelle

BespinBelle Jedi Master star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    YDM: I personally don't know much about latex and mask-making, but I do know there are several people who are experienced with it over in the costuming & props forum.

12. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Dinel's posted... this thread's officially old news.

Passe', if you will (but you probably shouldn't.)

-Le Penguin
    "And now, back to the wall."

13. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Honestly, I think you guys best bet is to hook up with Shwanzi for a few days of shooting, and he might even let you watch him edit and cut his film. There's no better experience than to watch someone who's actually done (and is doing) exactly what you want to do.

As far as making masks...my GF is a professional costume and make-up designer. I can ask her about making masks for you.

But seriously, the most important thing to remember is to wear a condom. The second girl I ever copulated with gave me the clap, and believe you-me, no amount of cool-latex masks will help you in that regard. Only latex condoms. So, do like George W. Bush says, wait until your married (or even better wait until after you've been married for 6-8 months), get a blood test and pick up some books at the library on lighting and film-speeds. I can't give you any better advice on making fan-films than what I've said in this paragraph.

Bosh Talk

"Ka Plah!!"

14. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Well, we are shooting this weekend and could use some behind the scenes help...

15. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Actually, mask-making isn't impossible, but it is a lengthy process requiring time, space, and money/materials. I posted a basic list of materials a page or two back in this thread; perhaps you thought I was joking, but no, that was actually a serious list.

16. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Thom doesn't joke. He IS a joke, but that's a completely separate matter.

17. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    bosh also produces the occasional "film" (it's actually more like a video) in his home. perhaps you can help him with those and learn a thing or two?

the things you'll learn are probably things you don't really want to know. but you'll learn them. and well.

18. QuicksilverG4

Mar 19, 2003
    <<getting a very bad mental picture>> [face_worried]

19. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    What ever happened to these guys?

20. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    they're out here. i just parked their lexus in my day job as a valet at the ivy. three-picture deal at Fox.

and to think, all because of their six-hour flash fan film!

21. YodaDaMax

Sep 11, 2003
    school and vacation have conived to push me off the face of the Earth. I will remain there for at least two more weeks while i do 4 days worth of make up work. Maybe Connek will do something...

22. YodaDaMax

Sep 11, 2003
    We haven't given up yet.

23. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    "all because of their six-hour flash fan film! "

That is pure intarweb gold right there.

24. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
  25. YodaDaMax

Sep 11, 2003
    Now that Summer's about to begin, we hope to actually begin work on Dark Star so I've decided to bump this thread at a great risk of bringing up all these old problems.

Site's not worth looking at right now, I haven't since December.

Still not sure if its gonna be live or animated. But, I've decided one way to figure out is to see if we have any people willing to act.

Any volounteers? (Voice actors also welcome)

Hopeful edit:
    Maybe this could be the full Chicago Force film that was mentioned before? I'd be willing to give up quite a bit of the control as long as the story stays roughly unchanged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.