main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Feature length fan film trilogy? We need help.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by YodaDaMax, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TornJedi

TornJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2001
    >Still not sure if its gonna be live or animated. >But, I've decided one way to figure out is to see if >we have any people willing to act.

I just skimmed through this thread. so I don't know all the details of this project.

When and where do you think you'll be filming? This sounds interesting.

2. YodaDaMax

YodaDaMax Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2003
    Thing is we're way too unprepared. No idea where we can film. Definately need bluescreen if we do it live action. And probably sets. Willing to do it all over Chicago land. And I'm still hoping CF can take it over and make it good instead of the crap I'm determined to make if I do it solo.

Oh and this is my 100th post. Woohoo! Ironic that this thread was one of my very first posts.

3. VWChick1979

VWChick1979 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    I would be willing to help (although I cannot get your link to work) but do be aware of the difficulties. I'm not trying to scare you, just give you the benefit of my hard-won experience (and this is just films, this doesn't include all the fun theatre troubles I've had).

I am a Mass Media/Theatre major and I *struggled* with what I worked on in college. I made a 6 minute film based off a Monkees television episode that took all day to film in several different rooms in a college dorm building, about an hour or so of footage and about six hours of editing (mind you this was pre-Avid days using 70s-era analog equipment).

Then later I tried an independent study making a film that a friend had written a script for, a Highlander-based bit with about half a dozen characters, fight scenes, special-effect-laden scenes, and about two hours worth of script. How much did I get done in the semester I had? Well I have about 5 hours of footage, most of which is rehearsal for scenes or sparring practice to try and get the fight scenes workable. I have a two minute edited scene from two hours worth of footage that took 6 hours to set up, rehearse, and film and that took another three hours of editing and STILL needs editing work IMO because of some troubles lining up bits of footage that would require reshoots.

Making anything of a film requires a lot of work. I know you don't want to hear this but start out with a good solid scene you like. Work on that first.

And my biggest recomendation -- be careful with your casting!!! The biggest problem I had was my cast. Trying to coordinate schedules and also, actors with minds of their own. I had to fire an actor because he wasn't listening to the safety lectures by my weapons masters and thus was a danger to everyone (some of our swords did have sharp blades). Another actor caused a HUGE time waste because she needed HOURS of rehearsal to manage a simple one minute scene in which she had ONE LINE.

Now, if you read through all that :) I would be willing to help, schedule permitting (I work in retail currently and have the WORST schedule you can imagine). I haven't worked on a film since that attempt at a Highlander one (largely in part due to my camcorder being swiped during the filming of that), and I'm starting to get the itch to do some theatre or film. Feel free to PM me.

Mary Jo

4. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Mary Jo,

very much appreciate and support your post.

I produced neighborhood theatre for about
    10 years, and everything you noted about
    performance is so very true.

Actors will actually leave you the very
    second they get a role/part/production,
    that they think is better than the one
    they are on.

but, Finding people who have experience,
    can cut down on production time.

Look for people who have met past commitments
    to major projects and are felxible to support
    the creative process of a film. Even the best
    scripted profesional films, loose actors and
    change direction based on what is discovered
    during the process.

And Star Wars, Light Sabre fights,
    you really need to find someone who is
    an expert in "stage combat", oh and stage combat,
    is like a very serious ballet, that requires
    much rehearsal.

ok, that enough for me for now before I start
    writing a book.

Ed

5. VWChick1979

VWChick1979 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Fully agree Ed, though my actors just weren't that interested in staying on, they weren't getting other offers ;)

And yes, staging fights is VERY difficult. I was lucky in that I had two friends who were both experienced and also happened to own enough swords to arm all of our immortals :) I learned a lot from them.

Mary Jo

6. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Agreed, staged combats are very tricky, because they have to look real without actually endangering anyone involved. My own experience is over ten years rusty, going back to college days, but it supports what Ed and VW have said. :) It's not impossible, to be sure, but... well, look at an apparently effortless duel on film or TV, or even another fan film, and consider that hours upon hours of practice went into making that final fight look so good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.